Community
Wiki Posts
Search

General 1/8th Scale On-Road Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 01:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by P2gee
I will be glad to express my views on INS but not on this thread. This is a very good thread serving a purpose and I dont want to honk it up with my views on INS. If there is another thread on INS, I will be glad to move over there and honk that thread up...... matter of fact you can probably find some of my views already there.

In regards to radio based ABS, I have played with this on a few of the radios I've owned and on some tracks an advantage can be found by using it. Todays cars steer and handle so much better than their 20 year old counterparts, that I find I do alot of braking by scrubbing speed with steering. Not to say that you dont need brakes just that braking is not as important to getting a car around the track as 20 years ago. The radio I currently use(Nomadio React) has a brake mixing feature that I have been playing with. When set up, it dials out braking as you turn the steering from straight ahead. The effect is to keep the car from looping when you turn under braking. Still playing around with it but so far I like!!
Cool man, will do. Thanks.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Darint
2. Changing the gap in tire size front to back will alter the overdrive or underdrive of the car. There are charts for this online based on your individual vehicle, or there are a few charts that you can actually plug in your vehicles information and get the overdrive ratio's. I run my serpent around 102% or 2% overdrive.
Where can I find these charts? Does "overdrive" refer to the front tires covering more asphalt per engine revolution or the rears?
Old 11-16-2007, 03:16 PM
Tech Regular

Default Servos

Most of the digital high torque servos are plenty fast for driving 1/8th scale. I use the same model for throttle and steering mainly so I need to only stock one type as a spare. With racing you always want a decent speed servo, but most guys end up turning down their radio to make the car/steering less twitchy anyway. Also, you will hear some guys recommend sticking with analog servos to save battery and increase runtime, however with the sick batteries out there (ie 1400-1800mah), forget if you use lipos, that no longer is a real issue. Plus if we go back to speed and response time, digital servos provide the best response due to the High Response Systems being used with most of the newer radio systems. I think, most drivers mainly look for a strong/durable/reliable servo. That is one part you dont want failing you during a race day. I have used by futaba S9451 servos for the last 3 years, and only want to replace the wire due to permanent crimps from being in the same position for so long. I use plastic horns, so if I do hit hard, more than likely i will break/strip a $2.00 part, and not my $100.00 servo. Anyway, I am just glad to hear more guys are getting and coming back to racing. The competition always makes things fun and interesting. Plus, the chassis war is at its best.....Mugen, Serpent, Kyosho, and there are a few new players also. You cannot go wrong with any of the kits being produced. Its all up to the driver. Now, if we can get tires down to 25.00 a set.......
Old 11-16-2007, 04:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lil Paul
Now, if we can get tires down to 25.00 a set.......
Or tire wear like has been seen at Leisure Hours Raceway in Joliet, Illinois. Guys in all classes are running all day with little or no tire wear at all. It's crazy to pick up your car and see almost NO tire dust inside the body.

I don't know how they did it, but the surface is SPECIAL.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:47 AM
Tech Addict

Now, if we can get tires down to 25.00 a set.......
The guy that develops that tire without giving up handling, will make plenty of green - $$$$
Old 11-17-2007, 02:20 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default overdrive

Apex,Ron at duneland hobbies told me of a downloadable version calculator for overdrive on the serpent website.He loaded it on his laptop so he can calculate overdrive ratio at the track.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:26 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ltrdude
Apex,Ron at duneland hobbies told me of a downloadable version calculator for overdrive on the serpent website.He loaded it on his laptop so he can calculate overdrive ratio at the track.

Perfect! For PC owners...
Old 11-17-2007, 09:44 PM
Tech Regular

What about transponders in 1:8 scale? Do most drivers use the personal ones?

Last edited by ESWLFSE; 11-17-2007 at 10:34 PM.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:55 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ESWLFSE
What about transponders in 1:8 scale? Do most driver's use the personal ones?
Almost without exception, everyone is using personal transponders in 1/8. Seems alot of folks complain about the expense of PT's but think about this......New PT's are around $100 right now. Used ones on Ebay are bringing around 60-70 bucks. If you buy new,use it for 3 or 4 years and then turn it on Ebay for $60, your net cost for the time you use it is $40. Not too bad IMO.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:30 PM
Tech Regular

Found the Serpent Drive Calc v1.1 for models 710, 720, 835, 950R, 960 here:

Download link

I'm still confused on what exactly "overdrive" refers to. Serpent calls it more front drive or more rear drive. Which is preferable and referred to as "overdrive"?

What About LiPos? How many drivers are running these now for capacity with digitals and who makes packs that fit in place of the 5XAAA's?

Last edited by ESWLFSE; 11-18-2007 at 12:17 AM.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:02 AM
Tech Adept

Overdrive refers to how much further the front wheels want to pull the car than the rear. IE: a 2% overdrive (or 102) means the front wheels will move further than then the rear, but -2% overdrive (or 98) means the rear wheels will move 2% further than the front (I've never actually tried to do this but...).

I personally stay with the mimh for 2 reasons. 1) I like the majority of my weight on the bottom of the chassis. Lipos tend to be lighter than nimh, and I don't have a heavy battery tray. 2) The new cars are already at the edge of not making legal weight without adding more weight in their standard configurations.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:40 AM
Tech Adept

Here's an article about overdrive that helped me:

http://www.rcrcnt.com/articles/calculate.htm
Old 11-18-2007, 07:47 AM
Tech Elite

Awesome link. That's a massive help. Thanks!

• It appears as though many or most 1/8th drivers are using 30% nitro everywhere. Any reason why I shouldn't use the 20% that I use in all of my .12s?
Old 11-18-2007, 09:57 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
It sure was and there a few others on that site too. Does anyone else have any similar technical links?
Old 11-18-2007, 05:23 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed

• It appears as though many or most 1/8th drivers are using 30% nitro everywhere. Any reason why I shouldn't use the 20% that I use in all of my .12s?
30% generates more horsepower at the expense of fuel mileage and can wear on an engine.

You will find many drivers will switch to 25% or 20% to gain fuel mileage and sacrafice some of the horsepower.

Doug

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.