Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tuning Engine *temperature

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2003, 08:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Tuning Engine *temperature

I bought a venom temperature gauge last night at my local hobby shop. What engine temperature should i be running on with a ntc3 with the rtr engine .12?
How do you fine tune your car sometimes my car would run too loud but its fast like a bullet but then i see engine looks likes it too hot when i use to por the water on it it will sizzle quickly so i richened it.. in conclusion how to i set the low and high end needles im new to nitro and tuning etc. I know how the idle works and how the high end works pretty well but im kind of confused on the low end speed needle of its point of being there. As i know so far the high end needle is too affect top-end power/running and low is too affect the low end speed/running . richening it is to the left and lean to the right. richen will increase fuel/ air mixture and lean will decrease.. i just dont understand how to tune my engine correctly to its top performance. anyone have time to explain it to me thank you i will appriciate it a lot thx again
adam
Old 05-17-2003, 01:28 PM
Tech Elite

Default Tunning by t engine temp.

In my humble opinion, tunning your engines by temp is a great error, many others here can attest. Every engine is different so will run at different temperatures.

You may tune your engine by ear, hearing at the track, should sound clear and see some trailing smoke coming from the exhaust, this should be a quite healty temp for your engine.

To tune your engine for performance, firstly you may need to forget using on-board temp gauges and similar. This is what I do for tunning my engine for performance.

- As I arrive to a track, first what I do is to open main needle half turn or 3/4 of a turn, depending on the track conditions.
- Put my car on the track and I start doing some laps, first ones, since the engine is too rich probably don't give good performance, but starts heating at a good pace transferring heat to the chassis. Two or three laps after enter the car at a pit and I say to my mechanic to close 1/4 of turn the main needle, engine is cold, but start to lean it and return to the track, engine starts to run better.
- As the car evolves by the track I see how much smoke comes from the pipe and do another three or four laps, probably the gearbox starts to change but not at their correct places, enter another time on the pit and start a routine of leaning and doing some laps and see how performs. Acceleration should be clean and powerful, never too snappy (low-end too lean, you can toast your engine).

When the engine is tuned for power? you will know by yourself, probably you reach a time that you start running slower and don't see smoke coming from the exhaust, then, enter into the pits and open a 1/16 of a turn the main needle.

One very common problem of many guys starting (and not so many newcomers) with nitro is let the low-end too lean and they toast their engines. Low end needle makes two main different things.

1. Adjusts the fuels supply at low carb openings.

and the most important:

2. Cools off the engine when you remove thottle (when you're braking or when you are negotiating a hairpin, for example). If you put too lean the low-end you surely that have a very snappy acceleration, but are punishing your engine starving the fuel that needs to cool itself at low rpms.
Old 05-17-2003, 03:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Like Corse - R said, every engine is different. For instance, my rsr4 rtr3 .15fe engine can go up to 280-290 degrees (thats info is straight from hpi themselves). The new engine i have for my ntc3 is a mugen mr12 and the guy i bought it from said dont go over 220. Some guys at a track I race at told me to try not to go over 250 since 250 degrees is boiling. I've run my rs4 rtr3 up to 275 with no problems but i try to keep all my engines around 250 give or take.
Old 05-18-2003, 01:03 PM
Tech Adept

I hope this will help you with engine

Adjust needle settings - before putting the car on the track
Once the engine is running and has come up to operating temperature (within 15-20 seconds) proceed as follows:

Stage 1: Setting the main needle just a little rich
Take the car off the ground, and open the throttle fully. The engine should run cleanly until it reaches 80% of top RPM, after which it should start to run slightly rich (4-stroking):

· If the engine runs cleanly all the way up to top RPM, richen the main needle (counter-clockwise) until it starts to 4-stroke at approximately 80% of its top RPM

· If the engine runs too rich (4-stroking all the way) lean the main needle (clockwise) until it only starts to 4-stroke at approximately 80% of its top RPM

Stage 2: Setting the idle speed
Take the car off the ground, and open the throttle fully for 2-3 seconds. Close the carburetor and check the idle speed that occurs immediately after.

· If the engine stops almost immediately, turn the idle adjustment screw clockwise to increase the idle RPM.

· If the idle RPM is too high, turn the idle adjustment screw counter-clockwise to reduce the idle RPM.

Stage 3: Setting the low speed needle
Open the carburetor for 2-3 seconds and let the engine clean out. Close the carburetor and let the engine idle.

· If the engine idles for 2-5 seconds and then the idle RPM decreases, the engine is running too rich during idle. Lean the low speed needle (clockwise) to remedy this condition. Repeat this step until the engine idles reliably at a constant RPM for at least 20-30 seconds after the carburetor has been opened for 2-3 seconds.

· If the engine idles for 2-5 seconds and then the idle RPM increases, the engine is running too lean during idle. Richen the low speed needle (counter-clockwise) to remedy this situation.

· If the engine will not idle at all, rich the low speed needle (counter-clockwise), or turn the idle adjustment screw clockwise to increase the idle RPM.

NOTE: Because adjusting the low speed needle affects the idle RPM, use the idle adjustment screw to get the engine to idle at the right RPM.

Once you are satisfied that you have achieved reliable carburetor settings, you are ready to put you car on the track.

If you need more help go to this web site
TSN Tech Book

Damo
Old 05-18-2003, 05:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks guys got it sord of tryin to understand it more but thanks for the replys more would be nice maybe more understanding i will pring out what you guys wrote so i dont have to go on the computer to see whats the cars problem thanks keep it coming please
Old 05-18-2003, 05:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

Today i could not run my car because of a broken hub carrier which i will get tomorrow at my local hobby shop but i rode my friends ntc3 and his tuning is way off.. one reason was that in idle and when its acceleratin its making this horrible loud sound what could that be? its too loud im sure its not normal mine would never run like that i think he broke car in wrong or he doesnt have a clue what he is doing on tuning it anyone know why thx
Old 05-21-2003, 03:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

the loud sound could be a broken pipe. make sure the header and head is screwed on tight and where the exhuast meets the pipe.
Old 05-22-2003, 09:30 AM
Tech Elite

Default Tuning Engine *temperature

Tune for Performance without excessive Head Temperature. Generally 280F is highest you want to go with ANY engine and expect it to last for more than a few Gallons. Most People try to keep between 220-260F when checking Temp.
Tune your engine to run the way you like it, then adjust based on the temperature readings you are getting.
Fuel Brand and % of Nitro can have a large impact on needle settings.
Old 05-22-2003, 02:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Tuning Engine *temperature

Originally posted by popsracer
Tune for Performance without excessive Head Temperature. Generally 280F is highest you want to go with ANY engine and expect it to last for more than a few Gallons.
When you say expect it to last for only a few gallons do you mean thats all it will last then you have to buy a new one or you will have to rebuild it?

Originally posted by popsracer
Most People try to keep between 220-260F when checking Temp.
Tune your engine to run the way you like it, then adjust based on the temperature readings you are getting.
Fuel Brand and % of Nitro can have a large impact on needle settings.
Pops,
I try to get my engine around 220. when i run it out in my street it usually keeps between 220-235. usually no more than that. I try to run it full throttle several times to see how high the temp is. But i was racing last weekend and after a 5 minute heat i checked the temp and it was 275. When i run i usually run after 5:00pm (time i get off of work) but this race was run in the morning and throughout the afternoon plus i had a black body on. Could this have caused the radical temp change?
Old 05-22-2003, 05:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

Im in opinion i guess your car is use too at the 5;00 racing the temperature etc. so when u raced in the morning there was more sun out and more heat so it might have rose the temp a bit just richen the mixture a bit and yes black does attract the sun but i dont think it will cause that much of a change
Old 05-22-2003, 06:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

cool, thanx for the help
Old 05-22-2003, 09:04 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by drive4fun
Im in opinion i guess your car is use too at the 5;00 racing the temperature etc. so when u raced in the morning there was more sun out and more heat so it might have rose the temp a bit just richen the mixture a bit and yes black does attract the sun but i dont think it will cause that much of a change
The general concensus when running in a high temperature environment is to lean the carb settings as oppose to richer carb settings as a high temperature environment lacks oxygen and therefore you need more air into the car i.e. lean carb settings. Well, at the very least, when you richen the carb settings, you will find it hard to start the car and the car doesn't hold the idle well.
Old 05-22-2003, 09:43 PM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Tunning by t engine temp.

Originally posted by Corse-R
In my humble opinion, tunning your engines by temp is a great error, many others here can attest. Every engine is different so ......needs to cool itself at low rpms.
Corse-R this applies to modified and non-modified engines? or non-modified engines only? thnx
Old 05-22-2003, 10:49 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Tunning by engine temp.

Originally posted by penggoy
Corse-R this applies to modified and non-modified engines? or non-modified engines only? thnx
Should be applied to all engines.
Old 05-23-2003, 12:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by VoneRkid

Stage 1: Setting the main needle just a little rich
Take the car off the ground, and open the throttle fully. The engine should run cleanly until it reaches 80% of top RPM, after which it should start to run slightly rich (4-stroking) :

Damo [/B]
(4-stroking)

Wat you mean by the 4-stroking ? it's rather hard to define a 4-stoking sound. .....

would appreciate if you could tell us in a more simple way to get the (4-stroking) sound ....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.