Wiki Posts
Search

GT class--buggy-based on road!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 07:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gashuffer
Has anyone ever crammed the newer GT2 two speed into a GT1? if so which center drive shafts fit for both front and rear?. I think I would like to convert my GT2 to a GT1. Thanks in advance.
I just built a shoe type two speed for my GT1 using the Evolva M3 gears and the Evolva 2nd speed holder and shoes - I used the stock GT1 first gear holder, shaft, outdrives, bearings, diff uprights and top plate. It seemed very straightforward to do.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:08 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Did you machine or grind a flat spot on the old 2speed shaft? The steel is very hard, my dremel made a mess, I plan to get a second shaft and machine it this time.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Gary NJ
I just built a shoe type two speed for my GT1 using the Evolva M3 gears and the Evolva 2nd speed holder and shoes - I used the stock GT1 first gear holder, shaft, outdrives, bearings, diff uprights and top plate. It seemed very straightforward to do.
Hey Gary you should re create this in a photo sequence. I'm sure alot of people would be interested in seeing this. Especially me<nudge nudge
Old 05-30-2011, 08:17 AM
Tech Adept

Default Texas Biggie 2011

I want to thank all involved in making the 2011 Texas Biggie event take place. Bob it was really nice meeting you and a special thanks goes out to you and Jeff for a great weekend of racing. There was alot of good racing all weekend too. I wish Andy and Ron didn't run into car problems early in the Amain causing them to drop from the race. I think between them and Wild Bill there would have been some hard close racing for the win. I know the rest of us drivers really appreciate Ron's pit help in the A mains after he dropped out too. Thanks Ron!! Thanks goes out to Pit Racer and Bailey (spelling?) for their help in the pits too. Without them we probably would have had to pit ourselves lol!! They were pitting for at least 5 or 6 Amain drivers at one point. It was also nice to meet Paul with Max Velocity, he too struggled with his car during the Amain. Hope to get my Xray to you soon Gotta give some credit to Bill he struggled all weekend with his GT only finishing 1 heat I believe. He qualified 7th but had a much faster car than what the qualifing showed. On a much debated tire note I think 14 out of 16 drivers were running sweep tires with track temp aroung 130 degrees. I was hopeing more drivers with Ipanema tires would have showed up to see how they would handle against the Sweeps! I guess we will have to wait until the Nationals in Houston later this year.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:31 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Jspeed
Juan Blaylock (jlock), a close friend and Ipanema user is at the race; the GT class was plagued with intentional rough driving all weekend long.
Not sure about "intentional rough driving"??? I was in the same races and I thought the racing was very clean. There were a few drivers in the GT class this weekend that are new to the GT on-road scene. If memory serves me right your close friend (jlock) wasn't in the same heats as them. Just remember there is a difference between intentional rough driving and someone who is new to the sport. A good driver can anticipate, be patient, and maneuver around such driver's. We all started the same way at one time or another.

Last edited by chaderick; 05-30-2011 at 08:34 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-30-2011, 08:40 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Jspeed
According to Juan, the heat of the track surface was causing most cars in the main to slip all over the track, a sign of tire overheating.
My Sweep 50 EXP's were sticking very nicely, my body on the other hand was overheating
Old 05-30-2011, 08:47 AM
Tech Regular

Can someone post of pic of your Sweep tires, I'm curious to see what the treads surface looked like after almost and hour of racing in the heat. I do not have any experience with them and want to try some soon.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ipe-Turbo-Plug

What do you guy's think about this motor in a Ofna dm-1 spec car? I will be racing this car on a track..
Old 05-30-2011, 09:02 AM
Tech Regular

I really like those engines, they are based on older Novarossi racing engines. There an outstanding value when you compare performance vs price. I had the Rally version, I did'nt like the pipe it came with, but it ran perfectly and was plenty fast. The guy I sold it to used and on-road pipe with it and is all smiles.
It should be a screamer compared to a buggy engine.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:10 AM
Tech Regular

You will need a short buggy manifold to use the pipe, it comes with the wrong header for use in your GT car.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:18 AM
Tech Addict

I want to thank everyone for the kind words on the win. I want to thank my pit man David Heridia for his awesome pit work!

To me it looked like all tires were hooked up (Ipanema, Alpha, and Sweeps), and all bodies stayed on (Ipanema, Alpha, Protoform, OFNA). The atmosphere was great, and I did not hear any F-Bombs on the drivers stand like in past races, so it seemed everyone was having a good time.

At one point in the race me and J-Lock bumped in a corner, and after the race he apologized, but no apology was needed, because I knew it wasn't intentional. He had clearly gotten of my way several times before that, and I thank you.

I was testing a new car for this race, and I can tell you that this is the car to have! (yeah I know, biased )
IGT Hobbies will be the exclusive dealer for the car, and will be releasing more news on it soon on our site. The only thing I can say right now is- 6.2lbs

In conclusion, I want to thank the Texas Biggie committee for allowing us to bring our big, loud, heavy cars to race at the 34th Annual Texas Biggie.

Most of all, I want to thank the racers for showing up, without you, there would be no GT racing. Thank you racers!

On a seperate note....

No D-boxes where used by any driver. Also, This is not my first GT win, I won a SWCS race last season (came back from 7 laps down), and many club level races with very talented drivers. Just the facts, hopefully that can be respected.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:21 AM
Tech Regular

Hmm, Xray is based in Dallas.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Maybe it's a Texas thing but nobody runs a D-box in the east coast. If you mention one everyone laughs including myself

On the other hand I am glad to see other chassis becoming a part of GT racing.
I still think the Losi Oval car is the one to have. Very balanced. The shock towers have all the necessary adjustment points needed.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I guess, I can run a X-ray rx8 in the ''Spec class,''? Looks as if this class is becoming not so spec? I thought this class was designed to be a low budget class.Does anyone have a rulebook for this class? OR is it wide open to whatever chassis mods,motors you desire? Maybe,I need to rethink this class..
I am speaking of Texas based tracks...
Old 05-30-2011, 09:40 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by gashuffer
Maybe it's a Texas thing but nobody runs a D-box in the east coast. If you mention one everyone laughs including myself

On the other hand I am glad to see other chassis becoming a part of GT racing.
I still think the Losi Oval car is the one to have. Very balanced. The shock towers have all the necessary adjustment points needed.
There is no easy fix for the lack of a 2speed on the Losi. Maybe they are already working on it. There is someone on the forum who did a conversion but it did not look easy and kinda messy.
Two chassis lengths does not make it easy for a manufacturer, but I suspect the shorter chassis is going to win, its based on a buggy not a truggy and most races are being won with the shorter length chassis.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.