Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GT class--buggy-based on road!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 05:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

There are alot of engines at the $150.00 with no problem stop going all kyosho,kyosho,kyosho the bearings are weak
Old 05-03-2008, 06:11 AM
Tech Elite

Mike please, give it a break.
You know you have 2 Kyosho engines ready to go at your house.
Just drop one in and we'll settle this at the track like real racers.

Last edited by Jspeed; 05-03-2008 at 07:00 AM.
Old 05-04-2008, 02:25 AM
Tech Master

Guys, Trust me - we've had the exact same discussion about engines allowed. So far only the stock.

Some new photos

Old 05-06-2008, 11:23 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jspeed
Yea Bro, I get you.

I learned about the bearings after about 5 gallons thru mine before I started checking the endplay at the flywheel. The bearings are not expensive & easy to change out. Just heat it with a gun & they pop out. Freeze the bearings first and they slide right in, easy.

Even a Worlds Edition Sirio Collari monster .21 comes with new bearings & rod in the wooden box for how much money?

Some guys blew motors at the Kyosho US Open at Kissimee too, but who knows the condition the engines were in for that big track. I’m sure a few guys running Sedan hurt their cars there too. I bet a lot of guys running Sedan went to this race track with brand new big money .12 engines.

If any engine is not 100% right, it can blow up no matter what it is.

Mike, I still have a nasty Picco/Collari G1XP-PRO all done up with the big slide carb, but for what, to have the same crazy problems you had at the track the other day.

Luv ya bro, I don't need those kinda problems

It’s all good, run a “GT Open” or get a “Super Stock” class going, but be pre-paired for the money war with these cars too! It would be cool to see these cars running close to the 70mph range on bigger tracks.

Call me when you get that LRP to beat Paul at Ronnie's
Jspeed, which bearings are you referring to? Can you please give me the part
number or link where to get them? BTW, the brakes you told me to get for my IGT works awesome! No fade for 5 mins. of racing. Thanks again!
Old 05-06-2008, 11:44 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JLock
Jspeed,

Bvoltz and I have been talking about the many issues with the stock Kyosho engine as far as reliability. He has proposed that his series in Jackson, MS will include a "spec" engine. The engines of choice are the OS 21VG, Sportwerks .26 and Dynamite .26. (all have to be pullstart version). These engines are relatively inexpense (under $180). However, if a racer wants, they can still run the stock engine, so, a change is not mandatory. The pipe choice for the spec engines will probably be the Dynamite pipe (inexpensive as well). Give me your thoughts on this.
Another good alternative is the Axial .28. I think it's one of the better choices. It's also under $150, has a good carb and tunes easily, runs cool.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:24 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by duneland
Another good alternative is the Axial .28. I think it's one of the better choices. It's also under $150, has a good carb and tunes easily, runs cool.
Thanks for the tip. I had looked at that but a couple of LHSs in my area originally had them at $200. They have since backed off that price and priced them accordingly (around $130). They discovered that there are three versions of that engine and they were pricing the entry level version at the top level version price.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:35 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by act2007
Jspeed, which bearings are you referring to? Can you please give me the part
number or link where to get them? BTW, the brakes you told me to get for my IGT works awesome! No fade for 5 mins. of racing. Thanks again!
Glad they help slow your IGT down, they are real good for me too.

As far as the bearings, I wish I knew the part # but the inner crank main bearing and front bearings is what you're looking for. Anyone out there can you help us out with the exact part numbers?

When you heat up the block to get the old bearings out remember to take out the little O-ring under the carb, easy to forget it's there.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:42 PM
Tech Elite

Yea, the swapping out the engine deal for something that can open another can of worms and may or may not be legal at all the IGT class in America will cost more than the $150 dollars because you'll need the new engine mount, header, flywheel and clutch assembly.
I see guys that are still trying to get the balance back on the track.

For me to go thru all that, I think I'd just buy a whole other new IGT and part it out, they're priced right all accross America.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:29 PM
Tech Elite

Yea, the swapping out the engine deal for something that can open another can of worms and may or may not be legal at all the IGT class in America will cost more than the $150 dollars because you'll need the new engine mount, header, flywheel and clutch assembly.
I see guys that are still trying to get the balance back on the track.

For me to go thru all that, I think I'd just buy a whole other new IGT and part it out, they're priced right all accross America.
Jspeed,

I will be leaving mine box stock (engine included) for Bvoltz' next race. I want to see how my car will handle against some guys that I know will change out their engines. If I start getting the multi-lap spanking, then I will make the change. If I hang in there with the stock engine, I will continue to run it until it plays itself out.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:18 PM
Tech Elite

Jspeed,

I will be leaving mine box stock (engine included) for Bvoltz' next race. I want to see how my car will handle against some guys that I know will change out their engines. If I start getting the multi-lap spanking, then I will make the change. If I hang in there with the stock engine, I will continue to run it until it plays itself out.
I hear ya, good luck at them races.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Jspeed,

Jlock and Jspeed,
I am not having problems with my motor either runs great. Also on another note the piston/sleeve is available here locally for $40 and the rod is $20. That is cheaper than I can repair my .12TZ for. We are getting a big class of them here in Memphis and so far only had problems with 1 and the reason the bearings gave out on it I think is because he ran 30% for the breakin process. Face it, it is not an OS or Nova or Picco, but it can be ran inexpensively and it doesn't take any more looking after than my 1/10 .12 motors do.
I tend to agree with Jspeed with the idea of keeping it a low as possible class. That way you get to see who can drive and who can't. Once the class gets opened up to a broader range of motors then you will see people trying to see if they can slip some mods in there just to get a slight edge. I don't know anything about where everyone else races, but we are racing high $$$ toy cars for bowling trophies. And Juan if you come to BTH you will need that stock motor along with everyone else that comes.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:47 PM
Tech Elite

Sid,

My car is currently box stock with the Kyosho engine in it. I had to obtain one from Zootcapri after blowing up the original one after using 30% nitro. My car is running on rails currently (did some testing down in Austin, TX this past weekend) and it will be ready for BTH 2008. In fact, I have two stock Kyosho engines as backup (one used, one brand new). So, don't worry, mine will be within the rules when I get there.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I'm glad to hear that motor is still strong for you. Sometimes I wonder if I really gained anything going to the Axial .28. Once I get the rear end planted so that I can get the power to the ground (rather than wild rear wheel spin) it should be fun. I went up in diff viscosity for the rear and I'll see if it works Saturday.

Anyway... I am really glad how that motor is running for you.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:10 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Zootcapri
I'm glad to hear that motor is still strong for you. Sometimes I wonder if I really gained anything going to the Axial .28. Once I get the rear end planted so that I can get the power to the ground (rather than wild rear wheel spin) it should be fun. I went up in diff viscosity for the rear and I'll see if it works Saturday.

Anyway... I am really glad how that motor is running for you.
Thank you for having the engine to spare and coming through as well as your friend. I am still working with the car, getting it dialed in. The front and rear diff oil changes I made are working great. Good luck in your quest to get yours dialed in.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Glad they help slow your IGT down, they are real good for me too.

As far as the bearings, I wish I knew the part # but the inner crank main bearing and front bearings is what you're looking for. Anyone out there can you help us out with the exact part numbers?

When you heat up the block to get the old bearings out remember to take out the little O-ring under the carb, easy to forget it's there.
As always, you've been very helpful. I just ordered all the bearings for the engine and the bearings for the 2-speed gears as well from:http://www.bocabearings.com/default.aspx
They have all the sizes! I know I need to replace those bushings from the spur gears right away.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.