Wiki Posts
Search

GT class--buggy-based on road!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 11:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikaR
j.d.roost, buggy conversions are pushy in general. DM1S is different because of it's chassis design --> close to zero caster. try decreasing it as much as you can, not sure what caster blocks O'donnel offers but try to get the ones that have as little as possible (propably 20 deg or so which is still a lot for onroad).
I agree. Buggy's have a lot of caster built into their designs to aid in driving them off road. I found running lighter diff fluids will help tremendously. However, finding the happy medium for great initial turn in and still having power out requires a lot of trial and error. At least it did for me. TOE OUT and Shorter ackerman plates also help quite a bit.

Last edited by kcunamay; 06-07-2011 at 11:43 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kcunamay
I agree. Buggy's have a lot of caster built into their designs to aid in driving them off road. I found running lighter diff fluids will help tremendously. However, finding the happy medium for great initial turn in and still having power out requires a lot of trial and error. At least it did for me. TOE OUT and Shorter ackerman plates also help quite a bit.
j.d.roost, buggy conversions are pushy in general. DM1S is different because of it's chassis design --> close to zero caster. try decreasing it as much as you can, not sure what caster blocks O'donnel offers but try to get the ones that have as little as possible (propably 20 deg or so which is still a lot for onroad).

Cool.
I will start looking for parts.

No worries Kitch.
I will have it intact this weekend.
Two questions.
How much f/r droop (over ride height) are you guys running?
How much ride height?
Old 06-08-2011, 07:32 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by kcunamay
When you say Shorter ackerman plates.. Am I trying to make the steering links longer (closer toward the center of the car)?
I remember running the rc8 "steering mod" that basically made the links longer and mounted the inner ends directly to the bell cranks.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

just an FYI. we stock PMT's and GRP tires..
TY
Old 06-08-2011, 07:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I see some have been working on Losi and ODonnell buggy conversions. Has anyone tried to convert a Mugen buggy? Kind of curious to know if anyone has and what mods were made.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

You can mod any 1/8 buggy. The center gear housing will fit all two speeds. You just need to relocate the mounting position on the chassis and drill out the gap for the second gear. Or you can shim up the housing so the gear fits, by doing this you might possibly be limited to gearing though. I really want to upgrade to a high end buggy, but times are tuff and can't afford it right now.

I think the Losi8 oval is the car to have due to center line. Car seems to have perfect balance which is crucial for road racing.
The shock towers are really good too. So many tuning options for both shock position/roll center and the body mounts/front bumper are a perfect fit to GT bodies.
Complete GT package if your not scared of a dremel!
Old 06-08-2011, 08:24 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JLock
I see some have been working on Losi and ODonnell buggy conversions. Has anyone tried to convert a Mugen buggy? Kind of curious to know if anyone has and what mods were made.
In my case the T.T. two speed dropped right into the z01 center diff.carrier and
I was also able to use factory drive shafts (can't do that with the better two speed)
With the truggy shims only a small amount of chassis has to be removed (dremal work). I decided to mill out the center hole so I could lower the diff. (and cg) of the car.
I can't tell you how durable the 40.00 two speed is yet. Lets hope for the best.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:32 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by j.d.roost
Cool.
I will start looking for parts.

No worries Kitch.
I will have it intact this weekend.
Two questions.
How much f/r droop (over ride height) are you guys running?
How much ride height?
1). that's different for every vehicle, driving style etc...
ex; GT2's have almost full off-road buggy style settings, my Losi is set @ around 1-2mm in the front and about 2-4mm in the rear, I adjust according to how reactive I want it to feel.

2). 10mm in the front & 15mm rear
Old 06-08-2011, 08:37 AM
Tech Adept

Has anyone converted a Xray XB808 or EC?
Old 06-08-2011, 08:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Wasn't XRAY planning to come out with a GT8? Or did I dream (wish) that?

Old 06-08-2011, 09:05 AM
Tech Champion

I don't think so, but rumor has it Kyosho will be releasing a GT3 shortly!!! I wonder what thats gonna look like!
Old 06-08-2011, 09:14 AM
Tech Master

Kyosho is coming out with Audi R8 GT for IGT2

Old 06-08-2011, 10:08 AM
Tech Champion

I am going to list my Kyosho RT.246 chassis conversion for sale. If someone wants to buy it PM me. It's new. I ran it for a day then decided to go with the shorter car. I paid 115 for it shipped, I'll sell it for 75 shipped.
These are hard to find and Kyosho is backordered on them.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:10 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Glad to report we had awesome GT races in 2011 Tri-states championship at Brooklyn, NY.

This is what some said after the race..

"That battle between Kitchen and Tony Q was legendary. "
"The gt class was awesome !"
"Thank you to Tony Q and Kitchen for putting on a GT show, you guys made alot of people respect the GT class."

Sweep EXP, on all of A-mainers. 2011 Tri-state Shoot out. Brooklyn, NY
Main/Qualifying
1st/TQ: Tony Q (Sweep)
2nd/5Q: The Shark (Sweep)
3rd/3Q: Elvin Calderon (Sweep)
4th/4Q: Abi Natal (Sweep)
5th/2Q: Kitchen (Sweep)
6th/9Q: Gustavo P (Sweep)
7th/8Q Jay Zellner (Sweep)
8th/6Q: Yuri A (Sweep)
9th/Bump: Tom Sal (Sweep)
10th/Bump: Albert E (Sweep)
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Last edited by SweepRacingUSA; 06-08-2011 at 10:40 AM.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Kyosho is coming out with Audi R8 GT for IGT2

Mika,

You posted a pic of my dream car!!! Seen a few rolling around the Dallas, TX area since it came out. Better looking and can outperform a Porsche 911 at a cheaper price (new and used), can't beat that. Maybe one day!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.