Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GT class--buggy-based on road!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 10:39 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Jspeed
Our design will work fine with any of the other GT bodies too. The offset is tucked under the car. The attached picture shows them on a GT Warrior body. Have fun.
Cool, I already ordered two pairs of the original width, just waiting for the rain to subside so I can try them out for the first time. I've been Running PMT Super Soft for the past year so I'm curious to how these 35 Ipanema Shore Slicks will compare ...
Old 02-16-2011, 10:50 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Twisted_Metal
Cool, I already ordered two pairs of the original width, just waiting for the rain to subside so I can try them out for the first time. I've been Running PMT Super Soft for the past year so I'm curious to how these 35 Ipanema Shore Slicks will compare ...
Thats cool, thank you very much.
Where do you race your car?
Old 02-16-2011, 10:55 PM
Tech Adept

Thats cool, thank you very much.
Where do you race your car?
Well considering the circumstances with the limited availability of race tracks. I run sometimes at the Artesia Bus Station or at my other top secret r/c proving ground in Inglewood, Ca
Old 02-16-2011, 11:04 PM
Tech Elite

OK, you're in California.

It should be pretty nice temps over there.

The bus station you run at, whats the surface condition like?
The 35s might be a little soft if your running on coarse pavement.

How do the sedan and 1/8 scale cars running foams hold up to tire wear there?
Old 02-16-2011, 11:15 PM
Tech Adept

OK, you're in California.

It should be pretty nice temps over there.

The bus station you run at, whats the surface condition like?
The 35s might be a little soft if your running on coarse pavement.

How do the sedan and 1/8 scale cars running foams hold up to tire wear there?
The Artesia Bus Station is parking lot pavement with VHT or Soda/Sugar water applied if I remember correctly it's pretty decent. I heard rumors some of the big dog 8th on road guys run through foam tires rather quickly out there I tend to stay away from the foams considering they are pretty useless unless on a prepared swept track but even then the wear rate can be high. I think even with the PMT's the wear rate was rather high. I was going to consider a higher shore tire, but was in speculation if they would be to hard and cause slip. I'm going to burn the high heavens out of these tires and give input if sold I'll be switching away from PMT I'm tired of the dish wheel style and high wear.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Well considering the circumstances with the limited availability of race tracks. I run sometimes at the Artesia Bus Station or at my other top secret r/c proving ground in Inglewood, Ca
Come join us this sunday at OC CIRCUIT's Hobbytown Corona race. There will be a great group of GT8 racers out there. You will have a blast.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:45 AM
Tech Elite

The Artesia Bus Station is parking lot pavement with VHT or Soda/Sugar water applied if I remember correctly it's pretty decent. I heard rumors some of the big dog 8th on road guys run through foam tires rather quickly out there I tend to stay away from the foams considering they are pretty useless unless on a prepared swept track but even then the wear rate can be high. I think even with the PMT's the wear rate was rather high. I was going to consider a higher shore tire, but was in speculation if they would be to hard and cause slip. I'm going to burn the high heavens out of these tires and give input if sold I'll be switching away from PMT I'm tired of the dish wheel style and high wear.
Twisted Metal,

The ability to achieve the maximum traction possible on any less than pristine racing surface with rubber slicks/tires is a balancing act between several factors. These include: Race length/duration, ambient temps, track surface temps, track surface condition, track layout, track size, chassis weight and a racer’s actual style of driving.

These variables are found in most forms of auto racing with rubber tires. From NASCAR to NHRA to Formula 1 to Saturday Night Street races; even our GT R/C cars, all are governed by the realities of physics.

It’s the reason we offer so many different rubber shores possibilities and foam insert options with our racing slicks. Traction is a question of rubber hardness and its ability to manage heat. When rubber is "overheated" it becomes slipery or melts, while rubber that never reaches optimal temps, will never reach that "sweet spot" of grip. No one shoe fits all.

The 35 shore slicks you have, may prove a little too soft a rubber compound for your location, but they may be an excellent baseline to work from.

We welcome the opportunity to try to help narrow down the maze of variables, to figure out the best performing slicks for your application and/or racing location. Feel free to contact us any time.

All the best
Old 02-17-2011, 08:55 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Which Clutch will work the best?

How is it going JLock and Jspeed. This is Brent from Houston. I am very happy to hear that the GT Nationals will be in my backyard. I am trying to finish building this car and I am down to the clutch. I have a Werks clutch and I was wondering would it work. It looks like its not on on the way and I am unsure how to shim it. Is this the correct clutch or what should I be looking for?
Attached Thumbnails GT class--buggy-based on road!-wrx6501.jpg  
Old 02-17-2011, 09:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Acting Bad
How is it going JLock and Jspeed. This is Brent from Houston. I am very happy to hear that the GT Nationals will be in my backyard. I am trying to finish building this car and I am down to the clutch. I have a Werks clutch and I was wondering would it work. It looks like its not on on the way and I am unsure how to shim it. Is this the correct clutch or what should I be looking for?
Right now, I am currently using the stock clutch from the kit but with the KC45 shoes. I will eventually change over to either the Kyosho 3-shoe clutch from their truggy or the Mugen 3-shoe clutch from their buggy. At the Ipanema GT Nats, many were rolling with the 3-shoe clutch with great success. I am not familiar with the Werks clutch and don't know anyone using it right now.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:35 AM
Tech Elite

Sorry for being lazy (actually zero time right now to research....lol) but does anyone here run a Hot Bodies Lightning that can point me in the right direction to decent body mounts?

I'm actually mounting a rally body for some rallycross action, and need info on this.

Part numbers would be great, but any info appreciated....

Also, what are you guys doing with your side exhausts with the onroad bodies? Extending them out past the wider bodies or pointing them downward? Or are you doing something different?
Old 02-17-2011, 10:53 AM
Tech Adept

Default Clutch

I know I have a couple of Mugen clutches. So, I found the Mugen clutches. I had Two full sets. But, I got to looking at that Werks clutch messed with it for a while. I finally took out the thrust bearing and the mesh was perfect. I race tonight 1/10 scale touring and then 'm headed to Dallas in the morning for the Febuary Freeze Race at Mike's. I will bring the GT with me so, if I see you JLock maybe you can give me some pointers. I plan to fire this baby up soon. It's a new creation with a new power plant so, wish me luck.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:56 AM
Tech Elite

Under my experience, go for traditional 3 shoe aluminum. Ofna purple one its very good, and VP PRO aluminum hard ones are amazing with 1.1 springs for great kick on low end.

Another good alternative are the 4 shoe M2C Racing medium hardness with 2 x 0.9 and 2 x 1.0 springs.

Enjoy !
Old 02-17-2011, 11:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I know I have a couple of Mugen clutches. So, I found the Mugen clutches. I had Two full sets. But, I got to looking at that Werks clutch messed with it for a while. I finally took out the thrust bearing and the mesh was perfect. I race tonight 1/10 scale touring and then 'm headed to Dallas in the morning for the Febuary Freeze Race at Mike's. I will bring the GT with me so, if I see you JLock maybe you can give me some pointers. I plan to fire this baby up soon. It's a new creation with a new power plant so, wish me luck.
If you get to Mike's Friday, I won't be there until later in the day (from job #1). There is a nitro race at the RCRCNT track in Rendon the same weekend and I will be there racing my GT and 8th scale Lola car (and maybe 200mm) during the day. The Feb Freeze race is at night and I will get there to check things out but not run. Sunday, it is Mains day at both races and I will be rocking the nitro. I will help you as much as I can if we hook up.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:09 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JLock
If you get to Mike's Friday, I won't be there until later in the day (from job #1). There is a nitro race at the RCRCNT track in Rendon the same weekend and I will be there racing my GT and 8th scale Lola car (and maybe 200mm) during the day. The Feb Freeze race is at night and I will get there to check things out but not run. Sunday, it is Mains day at both races and I will be rocking the nitro. I will help you as much as I can if we hook up.
JLock, what is the Mikes Feb Freeze about? Might be up to checking that out after our quals.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:45 AM
Tech Elite

You'll have a great time at our GT Only events, long mains & plenty of track time.

The Werks clutch is a cool part, but its adjustable, so its not in the rules for our GT events. You can check the basic rules here

The only difference for our USGT Nationals next October is the "belt drive cars" won't be legal in Spec or Open, like they are in "GT Open" only at our GT Worlds next March at the Club Kyosho Ajusco track.

Hope it helps!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.