Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mugen MTX-2

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2002, 11:42 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by VinDollar
I search the net and couldn't find anywhere that sells the hyspin lube. Some site claim that it is discountinued.. Do u know of something that is equivelent??? Thanks.
I think the one Tower Hobbies sells is pretty close to what I am using right now!
Racer's Choice Hyspin Diff Lube

Here is the link Click HERE
Old 02-24-2002, 06:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

What are you all using for diff lube (weight for gear diffs) front and rear. I race on technical tracks where the shortest straight might be 150 feet and the longest 220.
Old 02-24-2002, 08:13 PM
Tech Regular

Default ? on mtx2

i am woundering . what is the differance between using a 18 T or 19 T pully and a 24 T pully like the kawahara ones what do thy do? and do you guys find the stock 2 speed gearing and pinion gears to be a good out of the hole and top end set up? also do you all run front and rear diffs or do you run the front 1way and reg.diff or neg. diff ? i am just woundering if i need to get some gearing up or down. and last what diff weight do you use? and shock oil.
Old 02-24-2002, 09:13 PM
Tech Adept

The kawahara pulleys are more durable than the stock plastic pulletys. The sizes that you stated are the original stock pulleys that are on the car. They is an overdrive pulley for the front one way assembly but any other pulley change in tooth size is to dial in a particular characteristic to the car that the driver deems sutible for his driving style and taste. I personally stick with the stock settings and just upgraded for the purpose of durability because i stripped the 18t pulley before and see others too.
Old 02-24-2002, 10:17 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Isaac
What are you all using for diff lube (weight for gear diffs) front and rear. I race on technical tracks where the shortest straight might be 150 feet and the longest 220.
220 is pretty long stretch! I am using Kawahara Negative Diff and front oneway! You should consider using front oneway! you will get faster corner and more punch pulling out of corners!
Old 02-24-2002, 10:33 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by Novarossi
I wonder how different the MRX-3 shocks are - they look different on the outside, I wonder if they are any better?
They are identical except for the top cap. The MTX-2 is a one-piece design where as the MRX-3 is a two-piece design. Other than that, they are the same.
Old 02-25-2002, 04:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The one way is that much better? I was told by Mugen that on small tracks (designed for electric cars) that a one way and a solid/negative will not be as good as the gear diffs. I'm saying what I was told. The 220ft straight is just one track. All the others have a 150ft straight and below. Does anyone use gear diffs anymore?
Old 02-25-2002, 09:29 AM
Tech Master

I plan to add the front one-way to my car. Is the overdrive pulley necessary? Seems like everyone is running theirs with overdrive.
Old 02-25-2002, 11:50 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by psycho
I plan to add the front one-way to my car. Is the overdrive pulley necessary? Seems like everyone is running theirs with overdrive.
At one point someone told me if you have front overdrive you will have better front traction since both front wheels pull the car into corners. But I kind of dont buy the whole idea of overdrive I think it would mess up all the belts expecially front and rear is not running the same speed. But if you have both front and mid oneway it might be able to solve the problem.

I am currently using both front and mid oneway, I have great initial turn in respond and I am also using 40sh front tire and 45sh rear tires, it gives me a perfect match on the traction issue, by doing that I have great initial turn in respond and yet tire wear is great. And the turns are very predictable, I could say I can stay within 6 inches away from the board on corners consistantly.

Although using softer front tire and harder rear tire dont make sense to majority of the ppl here but I am telling you it works for me perfectly!

I guess that has something to do with susp set up too!
Here is my set up:

Front:
Tires: Ellegi 26mm 40sh
Shock: 2 holes piston, 60wt oil.
Spring: Mugen Grey (1.8)
Shock position: lay down the lowest possible hole.
Caster: 8 degrees
Toe Out: 1 1/2 degrees
Ride Height: 4.5mm

Rear:
Tires: Yokomo 32mm L32H (45sh)
Shock: 2 holes piston, 60wt oil.
Spring: Mugen Light Blue (1.7)
Shock Position: 1 hole below the mid point(I am using penguin rear shock tower)
Toe in: 2 degrees
Ride Height: 5.5mm

Gearing: 18/22 with 42/47
Front and Mid Oneway
Kawahara Negative Diff

That's about it on the set up! Hope this would help
Old 02-25-2002, 11:55 AM
Tech Initiate

Isaac-

I recently ran my diff'd Mugen with foam tires at one of the club races here and found the car very competitive. In fact, one of the racers wanted to see my car after our main because he didn't believe I ran the car diff'd.

The track is medium sized (we also run electric on the same track) and can be technical (depending on who is designing the layout that day).

Although oneway / solid rear axle cars can be faster, the benefits they offer diminish greatly when the track is smaller and more technical (esp. when you factor in getting through traffic).

I can post or pm my set up if you want to give it a shot.

DT
Old 02-25-2002, 12:09 PM
Tech Adept

To ah10:

Where can i get a mid oneway from??? and just out of curiosity. What engine u run to utilize those high gearings your using. I run a 17/21 with the stock 47/ 43 setup and i though i was a bit much for the mt-12 i run to handle. I had to make the 2speed shift very late to compesate. Would you assume that i might have to gear my car like urs with the arrival of a richey 9 port eagle mt-12??
Old 02-25-2002, 12:14 PM
Tech Master

To ah10:

Where can i get a mid oneway from??? and just out of curiosity. What engine u run to utilize those high gearings your using. I run a 17/21 with the stock 47/ 43 setup and i though i was a bit much for the mt-12 i run to handle. I had to make the 2speed shift very late to compesate. Would you assume that i might have to gear my car like urs with the arrival of a richey 9 port eagle mt-12??
I am running RB X12T 5 port, man this engine is powerful, it has unbelievable bottom end! and the track that I run my car has pretty good size too. If I am not mistaken the lot size is 150' x 200', including the right sweeper the total length of the straight would be probably close to 250' so 22 with 42 will work!

Here is the gear ratio chart. Thanks to Jason for such valuable information!

Hope this would help!
Old 02-25-2002, 12:21 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the info......and how about the mid oneway??? WHere can i get one.
Old 02-25-2002, 12:34 PM
Tech Master

Thanks for the info......and how about the mid oneway??? WHere can i get one.
A friend of mine got it for me in Hong Kong! hang on I might try to do a group order! let me know if you want one!
Old 02-25-2002, 12:41 PM
Tech Regular

Default re;

ah10 , thanks for the set up. how much is a mid one way? also what tooth of pullies do you run on the out side belt ( exaust side). thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.