Wiki Posts
Search

Mugen MTX-2

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2002, 01:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally posted by gooseman271
Alright, I turned out the bottom ball, but now there is slop in the wheels. Are the balls suppose to lock into the hubs, or is the loose play just the way it is?
If you have turned out the bottom pivot ball you have increased the track width (could be over 200mm). I can tell you now, if your a millimeter off when you did it, your car will be all over the place thats why its better to leave the bottom ones fixed and play only with the top ones.

With your question, yes, they will have some slop. The pivots need to rotate freely or your suspension won't work. I spent endless hours trying to get them slop free and still allow the balls to pivot easily, never could achieve this. Alittle slop will not hurt.

Im not sure what your actually what your actually adjusted, the pivot balls when adjusted will not change the slop, its the only the retainer that do (ie the large hex type that requires the large allen key to adjust)
Old 08-31-2002, 01:45 AM
Tech Rookie

Actually nevermind, i'm stupid, I was missing some extra parts. Got it figured out now, thanks.
Old 08-31-2002, 02:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally posted by gooseman271
Actually nevermind, i'm stupid, I was missing some extra parts. Got it figured out now, thanks.
Let me guess ..... The little concave plastic spacer that goes inside between the pivot and retainer - I always do it
Old 08-31-2002, 05:29 AM
Tech Initiate

guys
I know that I need to use a digital caliper to set the kawahara micro centax.
What else do you suggest in way of building this?
And also the kawahara negative diff what diff oil to use
and what setup for the whole car you have found to be the best starting point.
using foams on a very smooth aspalht.
no traction compound though on the track.
Old 08-31-2002, 05:30 AM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by Sydewynder

Tommy which 2 speed? The K, 2 shoe one? I'm not saying it will or it won't but it will.
I'm hoping the MTX3 tranny will fit the MTX-2. I've got the Kawahara 2 sp on it now, but I keep having problems. First, it developed a "wobble". Almost like the shaft had worn down were the bearing rides. I was in the process of figuring whether the shaft was worn or the bearing race had worn down, when the damn bearing in the housing seized on me. I'm thinking (right now) hopefully it was a bearing problem all along. So now I just ned to get the bearing out and replace it to make sure.

If the MTX-3 tranny will fit the MTX-2, it might give me some different gearing options as well.
Old 08-31-2002, 05:36 AM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by Super38
guys
I know that I need to use a digital caliper to set the kawahara micro centax.
What else do you suggest in way of building this?
And also the kawahara negative diff what diff oil to use
and what setup for the whole car you have found to be the best starting point.
using foams on a very smooth aspalht.
no traction compound though on the track.
I put 5000 weight oil in the negative diff. I also had to decrease my rear toe in because of the traction this thing put down coming out of the corner. Our track is medium to low bite, but I'm only running about 0.5mm of rear toe in. Any more than that, it pushes the front too much. You're probably gonna have to play a little to see what works for you, depending on your track and car setup. BTW. start with the factory settings, it's a pretty good "neutral" setup.
Old 08-31-2002, 05:47 AM
Tech Initiate

thanks teksrq,
how about the micro clutch any special way of building it?
is there a thing I need to watch out for when building it?
Old 08-31-2002, 07:04 AM
Tech Elite

Default tersq,

it's the shaft buddy.

I had the same problem. The shaft material is too soft.

I was lucky to find a replacement shaft, but I'm looking into an alternative solution.

Also, the bearing in the second gear bell is crap. Replace it and it will be much better.
Old 08-31-2002, 05:11 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by Super38
thanks teksrq,
how about the micro clutch any special way of building it?
is there a thing I need to watch out for when building it?
Can't help you there. I'm using the Mugen centax.
Old 08-31-2002, 05:11 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally posted by Novarossi

Let me guess ..... The little concave plastic spacer that goes inside between the pivot and retainer - I always do it
yup
Old 08-31-2002, 05:13 PM
Tech Addict

Default Re: tersq,

Originally posted by stefan
it's the shaft buddy.

I was lucky to find a replacement shaft, but I'm looking into an alternative solution.

Also, the bearing in the second gear bell is crap. Replace it and it will be much better.
Damn, you think it's the shaft? I haven't had a chance to pull it all down and measure it yet. Where did you get another shaft? I've been told by everybody that deals Kawahara there are no replacement parts.
Old 08-31-2002, 08:19 PM
Tech Elite

Once you got the two spur gears off, you'll see the damage with your bare eyes (if it's as bad already than mine)
The one-way bearing wore a groove in the shaft so bad, that I couldn't get it off anymore.

Try Castle Hobbies (RC Imports), they are the importer off Kawahara. They usually have spare parts.
Old 09-01-2002, 04:59 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by tekrsq

I'm hoping the MTX3 tranny will fit the MTX-2. I've got the Kawahara 2 sp on it now, but I keep having problems. First, it developed a "wobble". Almost like the shaft had worn down were the bearing rides. I was in the process of figuring whether the shaft was worn or the bearing race had worn down, when the damn bearing in the housing seized on me. I'm thinking (right now) hopefully it was a bearing problem all along. So now I just ned to get the bearing out and replace it to make sure.

If the MTX-3 tranny will fit the MTX-2, it might give me some different gearing options as well.
I have problems with the K 2 speed also. Remember I asked about the squealing noise? Well it appears that the shaft has worn too small in diameter and the 1way bearing is slipping.
Old 09-01-2002, 05:01 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: tersq,

Originally posted by stefan
it's the shaft buddy.

Where did you find a replacement shaft for the K 2 speed? Help me stefan!!!
Old 09-01-2002, 05:18 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by dtm

Now you really don't want to start that off AGAIN!!!!!
Didn't start anything. Just stated my opinion. People need to read that thread from the beginning.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.