Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mugen MTX-2

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2002, 03:45 PM
Tech Initiate

Post Gear ratios

Hi Everyone, ran the car at the track again today am having a problem with gear ratio, the pro kit came with the centax clutch and 16/20 tooth pinions, 43/47 tooth spurs. Car peeks about half way along straight, wanted to change to larger pinions but the engine seems to be at maximum adjustment, engine mount is up against lay-shaft housing. Should I just change spurs? What ratios are available for the mugen.
Old 07-10-2002, 12:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default Re: Old rummors

Originally posted by aftalavera
I have been reading for a long time rumors about the oversteering problem of the mugen. People saying thats why the original version came with 30,000/5,000 diff oil combination and the 1.9/f and 1.4/r springs. Was that true? If so , How in the world Mugen came up with the idea of the ProSpec version.

A front one-way and 30,000 in the rear?

Please comment....
The Pro-spec was designed around the use of foam tyres. You'll notice that if you look through all the setups on Mugen's website, they never seem to use the stock silver springs anyway. Don't forget the added swaybars included with the pro.
Old 07-10-2002, 12:31 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Gear ratios

Originally posted by Raw40
Hi Everyone, ran the car at the track again today am having a problem with gear ratio, the pro kit came with the centax clutch and 16/20 tooth pinions, 43/47 tooth spurs. Car peeks about half way along straight, wanted to change to larger pinions but the engine seems to be at maximum adjustment, engine mount is up against lay-shaft housing. Should I just change spurs? What ratios are available for the mugen.
You'll need to file out abit of the chassis opening for the engine mount screws once you want to run higher pinions (or 1st gear pinion won't mesh correct)

If your after more top speed, try these :

I run 18/22 Pinions and 48/43 spurs, mesh ok once filed
Old 07-10-2002, 02:24 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Re: Re: Alluminium pulleys

Originally posted by Ah10

I dont have them! ka ka! I use plastic pulley. Plastic one work just as good!
OK then.

Pepe, thanks again.

RC Nitro do you have the middle shaft inboard pulley in alloy (18t)? Still good condition? I have problems with it only It seems a bit more vulnerable being down low and in between the servo and the mid shaft mount - no way for rock to fall away. I am hoping alloy is a bit tougher. The two pulleys behind the engine are fine
I would be good if you could buy the plastic pulleys individually rather than buying new diff cases etc just because one small pulley is chewed

Last edited by SHARP; 07-10-2002 at 02:41 AM.
Old 07-10-2002, 02:48 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Re: Re: Gear ratios

Originally posted by Novarossi

The engine and two speed shafts must be long way out of parallel because the engine mount is already against mid shaft mount?!

Did everyones ProSpec purple engine mounts bolt to the engine OK? I had trim mine so the X12 would fit.

So many questions!
Old 07-10-2002, 03:58 AM
Tech Regular

Sharp: All my pullies sans the plastic diff gears are Aluminum. All are in good shape. That pully and the rear side one is the reason I went to Aluminum. Takes a good beating. My bud runs a VR1 with the same setup. He has more run time with the car as he has had the VR1 for 2 years now. His pullies are in good shape. Yes, it is a pain to buy the whole set to get one gear. When I ran HPI, I coulc get individual gears. I still have a full set of new plastic gears plus the ones I took off.

My motor mount was not the best fit. I run the Kawahara chassis now and the fit is better.
Old 07-10-2002, 04:36 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks RC Nitro, you have been very helpful!
Old 07-10-2002, 08:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Has any one overdriven the front end of their MTX-2, if so,
how and what was it like. I recently drove a virr over driven with a split, it felt nice.
Old 07-10-2002, 09:25 AM
Tech Master

kickass

You use overdrive to compensate for the difference in rollout when you have larger diameter rear tires than front tires. Unless you know what you are doing, it's best to leave it 1:1 driven or you can have strange handling.
Old 07-10-2002, 11:16 AM
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: Gear ratios

he he I am running 18/22 Pinions and 47/42 spurs, mesh good! totally agree with your point on file the engine mount holes! once filed it will line up perfect and gear mesh will be perfect too!
Old 07-10-2002, 03:11 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by kickass
Has any one overdriven the front end of their MTX-2, if so,
how and what was it like. I recently drove a virr over driven with a split, it felt nice.
I use the split as my "overdrive" with the one-way. Since it's too much of a pain to keep switching pullies, I just tru my rear tires down. I try to keep a 3mm split between the front and rear. That does nice for me.
Old 07-10-2002, 06:18 PM
Tech Adept

Default Re: Re: micro ss centax clutch

Originally posted by Ah10

I've got one! man this thing grabs so hard when it is engaged, it grabs harder then using mugen centex clutch with grey clutch shoe! Besides it comes with Kawahara low CG engine mount and thrust bearing. So I think it is a very good buy.
Hey Ah10, I got some questions:
1) Does the kit comes with the low CG engine mount and the thrust bearing? I mean can I order just giving one part number?
2) What is the thrust bearing for?
3) When you say that it grabs so hard, how does it help to the car performance... if so?
4) Where did you get it from? and how much?

Thank you very much
Old 07-10-2002, 07:50 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: Re: micro ss centax clutch

Originally posted by Pepe

Hey Ah10, I got some questions:
1) Does the kit comes with the low CG engine mount and the thrust bearing? I mean can I order just giving one part number?
2) What is the thrust bearing for?
3) When you say that it grabs so hard, how does it help to the car performance... if so?
4) Where did you get it from? and how much?

Thank you very much
1, it comes with low cg mount and thrust bearing, just one item number. SpeedtechRc has it in stock! click Here, just scroll down to the bottom.

2, Thrust bearing..... hum....here you will find all the information you need on thrust bearing.

3, if it grabs hard then that means the clutch is not slipping, slipping = less speed because the engine gives 100% but only may be 70% of the power transfer to the transmission!

4, you can get the kawahara centex clutch from SpeedtechRC, I just link you from point 1.
Old 07-11-2002, 01:19 AM
Tech Elite

Default Off the subject

But a big congratulations to our old friend Manticore aka Moon for becoming Number 1 Top Poster on RC Tech.

Moon, speech please.......

Fokkie, can you write a speech about Moon for us to share
Old 07-11-2002, 03:26 AM
Tech Champion

Default Re: Off the subject

But a big congratulations to our old friend Manticore aka Moon for becoming Number 1 Top Poster on RC Tech.

Moon, speech please.......

Fokkie, can you write a speech about Moon for us to share
Oh, that is an outdated news !! you should have say this last year !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.