Wiki Posts
Search

Supporting your LHS

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 09:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kemorc
LHS fail all the time because they try to only sell you vehicle specific parts.

The other reason they fail so often is, they rarely have parts you need, so they are forced to order them anyways.

They often do not carry the brand you need, or have... and they mainly carry parts ONLY for RTR.

And even worse... they often have the know it all staff that know almost nothing about the hobby.
I completely agree.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:14 PM
Tech Adept

I cant stand the no price tag stores, you have to ask the price for everything ffsk. Depending on how much they like you determines price imo.

Distributors though need to stand up to the plate and be a bit more accountable for why people spend o/s, especially here in Australia where our lhs prices are ridiculous for most brands, plus the limited parts stocked/availability. I am sure most LHS would be better priced if they were getting better deals from the distributor.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:47 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Kemorc
And even worse... they often have the know it all staff that know almost nothing about the hobby.
...therfore there is NO reason to shop a LHS............
Old 06-04-2007, 05:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hobby shop owners of the shops you guys are talking about should read this thread.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fritzD
Hobby shop owners of the shops you guys are talking about should read this thread.
I would love for them to. However, I don't despise them enough to reveal who they are. I don't want them to ruin their businesses. They have wives and kids to feed... bills to pay.

I am not saying that all hobby shops are bad. There are excellent ones. From personal experience, of all the hobby shops I've visited, about 10% of the hobby shops I went to were worth my time.

Every time I go on a trip, I scout out every hobby shops in that region via google maps and try my best to hit all of them to see what they got... My wife hates it.. cause I do it even on vacations too.. its that 10% I go after.. I can hang out at the store for hours.. My wife is a very patient, supportive woman...

I think there are 2 types of stores. One that caters to beginners, selling everything from model rockets to train sets to doll clothes to rtr rc cars.. they are like wal-mart, destroying the second type of stores, the specialized rc stores. They do this by flooding the market with crappy cars and heli's, banking on their customers to break their new toys so that they will come back for replacement parts or new kits. They overprice their crap because they gotta pay the bills for the shiny gigantic glass display case and the huge tacky light up signs... and the slot car track in the back room, as well as the 'magic; the dork gathering' competitions... and to pay the the middle and highschool kids they hire who know nothing about RC cars..

The second, the specialized rc stores, carry a handful of cars in stock. They will order the new, the best, the latest, what ever you want, it'll just take 3 to 4 days... They also make a living by charging you to work on your car. They will break in your engine, install 2 speeds, install new bearings... They also host fantastic races on weekends with the help of dedicated racers running the races... They are knowledgeable, willing to help, willing to talk to you, recommend needed things... recommend cool things... making the sales masterfully... But some of these stores are quitting racing, which I think is a dumb idea because when people race, they will break things. When people race, they will want to upgrade and buy/order new things... when you get rid of your track, you are supplying either the back yard bashers or racers that run on other hobbyshop's tracks.... and backyard bashers lose interest and racers eventually start shopping at the trackside store....

sigh.. babbling again, sorry.

I'm just trying to echo what other people have stated in this thread.. what sells drives the market, obviously, and as more toy stores open mass chains and feed on the beginners that may potentially race, the real hobby shops die out and become extinct...
Old 06-04-2007, 06:33 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

You know, this thread should really move to the chat lounge instead of being in the nitro on road group... its not just specific to on road racing and tracks..
Old 06-12-2007, 07:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by devious17

For an example, I hang around my current LHS cause I learn from them a lot, learning the tech stuff of RC,all the required how to's and they are not stingy at sharing their knowledge too Like Nitro$junkie said it, I am like a fly hanging around them and the sad part to that is people who 'envies' starts to gossip by saying things like blue eyes boy and such, get a life!

Then there is the business that is a concoction of politics and dirty business tactics, we all know that right? I call it survival of the fittest but it's ethics out the window

Such is life.

I too hang around the same LHS like devious17, to be frank the shop owner is indeed helpful and able to cater my needs. When I first started I brought the car there then crashed my car often while learning. Yet the LHS already got all the parts I wanted without telling me to come next day or so. In summary he did his homework based upon the model he sold. Whatever need to be stocked he'll get the parts in advance. Besides that he is willingly to share knowledge so I can enjoy the hobby & improve from here.

There are too another type of LHS who wants to be the superior among all. Whatever other LHS is putting up the efford to promote the brand & their efford proves fruitfull. They will do start selling the same stuffs & pinch customers. But then they already overlook the aspect of support. In summary the balance is not there. Too many dealership for various brands & they themselve lacking of expertize to support the products. The balance is already offset.

Then again they failed to understand the initial LHS whom promote the product have spend lots of time, efford & pain to overcome all odds & obstacles. In summary knowledge cannot be brought using money. That's why the initial LHS can only understand the customers needs very well & able to deliver the expectations.

The 1st deal seem kind of nice good deal and best bargain. In the longer run the customers became dissapointed with them and start to roam around. Reason is they cannot deliver the parts & the services is far below expectation. Then again for RC support services is vital for the business to survive. There must be 2 ways interaction between LHS & customer, not one way by selling only.

There will always be dirty politics when there are jealousy. If the particular LHS wants to be dominant. The customer went out & found the other LHS which they feel more deserving. Basically the word of mouth (truth) spreads. They do what within their means to kill the LHS & whosoever comes along their way. This is what "survival of the fittest but it's ethics out the window " means...
Old 06-13-2007, 07:27 AM
Tech Adept

Default LHS and Online shop Debate

Hello everyone,
Please excuse me as I am half asleep. This topic has caught my attention and I will add my 2 cents worth of opinion. Before I do comment, My close friends at the track have discussed this topic with me more than once and being in business for myself, I have a slightly different perspective on the issue. If the "traditional" LHS is losing business to online shops then I would recommend the following

Research/ask customers what they need and not what they "perceive" they need If that doesn't work, start selling online and reduce their margins to increase their gross sales over time

If their suppliers are letting then down,P@&S them off and sell some other product where the suppliers support your business

Nothing is stopping any LHS from competing against online shops at thier own game.

" If you can't beat them.Join them!"

I feel sorry for the previous story of the LHS that went bust. If they delivered the service like British Menace(?) said, possibly there wasn't enough population to support the business in the area.

Funny thing is that until some of these LHS staff get to know you, they treat you like a f%#kin idiot! I am still waiting for some liquid mask I ordered over two months ago here in Perth,Western Australia and I know for a fact if I ordered it thru Sam @ Raceday, it would have been here within 2 weeks, AND he would have kept in touch AND he is based on the other side of the world!

In my line of business, my strength is the after sales service. I do not promote cheap prices and I tell my customers so. I tell them where they can get the cheapest price and give them the choice. If they go elsewhere and go for cheapest price, I will still get their breakdown service because they remember what I said and I deliver when the other companies let them down.

Enough of the "me" talk. Businesses must be flexible and be ready to change with the times to exist. If LHS cannot resolve their financial issues and run their business in the 21st Century,sell up and move on.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:05 PM
Tech Elite

Let me tell you guys, this business is tough and getting worse. If your LHS has a bunch of F'n idots working there I am sorry for that. If your shop has quality people there then you are lucky.

I know it might seem that the online shops have lower prices than the LHS, but why not go to the LHS and ask them if they can price match. It's worth a try. To them, making some money is better than not making any at all. They have rent and bills to pay, oh yeah, they like to feed thier families too.

What makes me think are the guys at the track that race week in and week out and buy all or most of their parts and supplies online and not from the very place they race at. On the flip side, don't buy from the LHS in the area either. If that keeps up, the racer will have to quit because there will be no track to race at and no LHS to buy the stuff that you have to have to race, like fuel.

I know this "Internet" stuff is really cool, and some people think that by ordering things online makes them really cool too. Well, if we keep going like this then God help this hobby.

Please unplug and go to your LHS or your track. I know they would be glad to see you.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:34 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Erock
What makes me think are the guys at the track that race week in and week out and buy all or most of their parts and supplies online and not from the very place they race at. On the flip side, don't buy from the LHS in the area either. If that keeps up, the racer will have to quit because there will be no track to race at and no LHS to buy the stuff that you have to have to race, like fuel.

....pure nonsense............NO local hobby shops where i live have tracks, nor is their name even posted anywhere at the track i run at?............my local track has been in existence for 40 years....................i think i would be safe to say that 85% of LHS have idiots working there that couldn't help you with a problem if your life depended on it..........MOST hobby stores today are toy stores............if i went to "HobbyTown" and asked for parts for a Serpent 960, they would look at me like ...i HAVE TO buy my parts online because NO "hobby" store can get me parts in 2 days.........
Old 06-15-2007, 05:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Taylorm,

Much of what Erock said is not nonsense. Maybe in your area, situations like you and many others describe exists. In other places, hobby stores do operate and/or sponsor tracks. No every hobby shop is a "Hobbytown" (we have 4 Hobbytowns in the Dallas/Ft Worth area as compared to 8 pure r/c hobby shops) and not all have workers in them that are idiots. If you feel that you "have" to buy your gear and parts online, that is your perrogative. Just don't knock others that choose to support their LHS and share their good experiences with their LHS.

Oh, most Hobbytowns do not carry Serpent because Serpent is very exclusive to who they sell (I know, I helped open one of the Hobbytowns in my area).

Last edited by JLock; 06-17-2007 at 06:47 PM.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:12 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Taylorm
....pure nonsense............NO local hobby shops where i live have tracks, nor is their name even posted anywhere at the track i run at?............my local track has been in existence for 40 years....................i think i would be safe to say that 85% of LHS have idiots working there that couldn't help you with a problem if your life depended on it..........MOST hobby stores today are toy stores............if i went to "HobbyTown" and asked for parts for a Serpent 960, they would look at me like ...i HAVE TO buy my parts online because NO "hobby" store can get me parts in 2 days.........

I will say, I agree with you about most Hobbytowns being "toy" stores. That is not true with all of them though. Take mine for example, I race, 1/8 on road, believe me most of my customers have no idea what that is, nor do they care. They just want to know if I have their Revo part in stock or not! LOL To be honest, I don't carry alot of on road parts in stock because it is not real big in KC,MO. We have a couple of large dirt tracks in the area so that is what I stock parts for, but agian that is still "race" stuff.

I do feel bad for the guys that don't have a quality LHS where they can go in and BS with the guys about set-ups or what happend at the track last weekend. But, for the guys that do have such a LHS, please go and support them.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:14 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JLock
Taylorm,

Much of what Erock said is not nonsense. Maybe in our area, situations like you and many others describe exists. In other places, hobby stores do operate and/or sponsor tracks. No every hobby shop is a "Hobbytown" (we have 4 Hobbytowns in the Dallas/Ft Worth area as compared to 8 pure r/c hobby shops) and not all have workers in them that are idiots. If you feel that you "have" to buy your gear and parts online, that is your perrogative. Just don't knock others that choose to support their LHS and share their good experiences with their LHS.

Oh, most Hobbytowns do not carry Serpent because Serpent is very exclusive to who they sell (I know, I helped open one of the Hobbytowns in my area).

Thanks!
Old 06-16-2007, 02:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Maybe the point should be to support your local track. If your local track is run by, or sponsored by the local hobby shop then do what you can to support them.

The important thing is to do what you can to make sure you have a place to race into the future.
Old 06-16-2007, 03:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Our track has a good hobby shop next door. Literally like 20 metres away...

And now that I'm driving a 1/10 mugen, they have all the parts that I would need straight away (belts, arms spurs) and anything else they can order in in a few days or so...

There prices aren't bad, but I've been noticing that they get better the more and more I go back (ie becoming a familiar face).

So if you ever race at England Park, Brendale, QLD, Australia, drop in and see Jeff at Trackside.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.