Serpent 705 VS Mugen Mtx-3

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 705 VS Mugen Mtx-3

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2003, 01:00 PM
Tech Adept

Listen, it really seems apparent you want the serpent and all the mugen guys here's opinion doesnt really matter to you......just go grab the serpent! it will work well for you as will any pro car. The deal with the rear arm slop is that with the first batch of kits, there was slop which had to be taken up with a washer. this really wasnt a big deal cause u could use the washer for more, or less caster......and the car comes with a front oneway, a rear diff, and gears for the rear diff.....if you opt to use the front diff, they include the diff case but you must supply your own internal gears. if you have an mtx-2 as i do, those gears work just fine!
Old 04-12-2003, 01:13 PM
Tech Regular

ok, ur right... thanks a lot
Old 04-12-2003, 02:24 PM
Tech Elite

sheesh.. all this trouble.

have fun with your new car!!!
Old 04-12-2003, 02:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

I'm also interested in this discussion as well as supra528 I in the beggining prefered the 705 but now am not so sure. It's a very high quality,very rigid and durable.The 705 is an improved version of the PRO but it isn't a major improvement. It has its' own minor(and rather annoying) problems that can be easily repaired. On the other hand the MTX-3 is a fully new design. It has a low CG and is very light weight. But I don't feel like endlessly hoping-up my RC. Like the 705 the MTX-3 has it's problems. Considering that you can make up your mind.
P.S. I still can't.
Old 04-12-2003, 02:36 PM
Tech Adept

knowbody says u must hop it up, although it sure is fun, kenji osaka was only running like 2 hop ups and the car is still a rocket anywhere on the track
Old 04-12-2003, 02:52 PM
Tech Master

Default The MTX-3 doesn't need hopups!

But I have to admit that I do have them on my car. Most of them are there mainly to lighten the drivetrain's rotating mass further.

The only hopup part that you would benefit from in the long run would be the aluminum front blade sway bar mounts. The stock ones are good but they would develop slop and strip the set screw holes over time.

I think most of the MTX-3 owners here on this forum hopup their cars because hopups are cheap and they love to personalize their cars. JustRC and RDLogic both sell low priced and high quality hopups that many can't resist.
Old 04-12-2003, 02:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

Many people say that they have bend their chassis and also you absolutely need front universals if you want to have 4X4.
Old 04-12-2003, 03:05 PM
Tech Master

Never heard of the chassis bending issue.

O-rings in the outdrives and proper servo-saver tension prevent losing dogbnes. BTW, I don't like to use universals/CVD's exept in offroad.
Old 04-12-2003, 03:29 PM
Tech Regular

oh geez..... im so lost now... i dont know which to get..... well hopefully our first race wont get canceled and i can see how the 705 and the mtx do....
Old 04-13-2003, 02:23 PM
Tech Master

I guess Supra528 already decided on the 705.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...&threadid=9179
Old 04-13-2003, 03:14 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by FREAKAH
I guess Supra528 already decided on the 705.

FREAKAH how do u lower the engines temp? just opening the high speed needle ? i already have the idle speed set. my engine is os12tr and 20% o'donnel. thnx
Old 04-13-2003, 03:23 PM
Tech Regular

yah... ive gone wit the 705
Old 04-13-2003, 03:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

ok first the mtx3 needs only 2 things in my opinion to be 100% race ready

1. the aluminum engine brace to replace the plastic one the kit came with i think with that the car will be good and stiff and bending the chassis would be out of the question both cars come with the same thickness chassis i think

2. front universals or dogbones from mtx2 because i had a problem with my mtx3 dogbones falling out could have been because i adapted it to run 0 offset wheels even with o rings installed

both cars i believe are manufactured with the idea 2 degree offset wheels should be used the 705 i believe comes with ellegi tires on yellow 5 spoke wheels correct? those are offset wheels just like the mtx3 however i know spacers can be used on the mtx3 behind the wheel hex to add some offset so regular 0 offset wheels can be used i dont know if this is possible with the 705

and both cars come with dogbones front and rear

but mtx3 has a much lower cg not only is the steering servo laid down on the chassis but the 705 engine mounts look like they are much higher than the mtx3 which uses a small flywheel and lowered engine mounts

yes there are a ton of hopups for the mtx3 but it doesnt need them to be just as good if not better than the 705

the mtx3 is dangerously close to the minimum weight but i would bet the 705 is very heavy with all its aluminum parts

the mtx3 does need internal diff gears if you decide to go with front and rear diffs but the 705 doesnt give you anything as far as a front diff in fact i read on mytsn.com that a diff couldnt be used in front (however i have heard it may be possible)

and i would bet that if you see a 705 vs mtx3 at your local club race with equal drivers the mtx3 would probably be winning because the kit setup is so close to perfect it would really be hard to have the car look anything but dailed

i have run my mtx3 on 4 different tracks and only once did i stray from factory settings the only change i made was 30k in the rear diff instead of 10k
Old 04-13-2003, 03:31 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by penggoy
FREAKAH how do u lower the engines temp? just opening the high speed needle ? i already have the idle speed set. my engine is os12tr and 20% o'donnel. thnx
Richen your low speed needle and adjust your idle speed accordingly.
Old 04-13-2003, 03:36 PM
Tech Master

Supra528,

Good luck and have fun with your 705. I hope you have the patience and tuning skill.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.