clutch shoes
collet
bearings
flywheel head bolt
New batteries
fresh fuel
new plug

And well my problem is it won't start:

It will crank over but it will not start. At one point it actually sputtered but only once lol. Could this be my piston and sleeve? Could it be bad gas?

I will say the roto starter sounds like it struggling, but I thought it was just dead battery. Because I got a fresh one and it didn't sound as bad.

Dante`
Old 05-02-2007, 07:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

Maybe your flywheel's come loose as you haven't screw your main clutch nut/flywheel nut up tight enough, so your flywheel's just spinning on your crank...could be mate, happened to me when i changed engines once.

Try it, it maybe that, as you said you've had all that apart?

Adam
Old 05-02-2007, 12:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Since you are using a Roto start, I presume on the back of the motor, it's probably not a loose flywheel.... Make sure your starter is spinning the proper direction, I think if it was going the wrong way it wouldn't turn the motor over at all because of the one way bearing... Make sure your glow driver is freshly charged or a new battery, make sure your glow plug is new, or glowing well, try a new one if in doubt, make sure your needle settings are correct for that motor, make sure both fuel line and vent line are in good shape and going to the proper places, unhook both lines from motor and pipe, blow in vent line and see if fuel comes out the fuel line, make sure all screws on the motor are tight, and the carb is fully seated and tight in the motor, and make sure the idle screw is screwed in enough to let the carb stay open enough to run, it would be very hard to start or run if any of these are a problem, GOOD LUCK!
Old 05-02-2007, 01:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

The engine that did this to me was an HPI RS4 t-15 engine with rotastart by the way, so can happen.....it was cranking over and sounded like it nearly wanted to start, but nothing....then rotastart went dead so put it back on my starter box, and found it just spining the flywheel without turning the engine over, doh! took it all apart, tightened it all up proper, and bang, started almost first turn over....so can happen.

he's already got new fuel and plug and what not, and as he's taken apart and changed just that, seems likely that could be the culprit.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Make sure that your one line goes from the pipe to the TOP of the fuel tank... and the other one goes from the bottom to the carb.... I made this dumb mistake once...

If when trying to start it, you see a lot of air bubbes in the line, then check to make sure you have them connected correctly...
Old 05-02-2007, 07:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I can see how a motor would not run at all without the mass of the flywheel, that is some good advice to check it.... Hopefully between everyone helping him, he will get it started....
Old 05-03-2007, 05:42 AM
Tech Apprentice

all feedback received, I try again this afternoon. i will post results tonight.

Dante`
Old 05-03-2007, 06:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

ok didn't really do anything different besides charge the ignitor all day....I got it started for about 10 minutes. Ran it so I can tune it but shut off. I noticed this when running:

very hot running
when I richen it it bogs out.

No I can't start it again LOL
So maybe it the ignitor again?
Old 05-06-2007, 08:11 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by DriveToLive
ok didn't really do anything different besides charge the ignitor all day....I got it started for about 10 minutes. Ran it so I can tune it but shut off. I noticed this when running:

very hot running
when I richen it it bogs out.

No I can't start it again LOL
So maybe it the ignitor again?
One of your needles is off I think, could be the low end, could be the mid (does this engine have that?).