solid rear axel and front one way?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

solid rear axel and front one way?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2003, 03:03 PM
Tech Adept

Default solid rear axel and front one way?

im looking to make my TC3 do a controllable power slide at will...since its the best way i can corner...little too use to nitro 2wd offroad racing

anyways do any of you have experience with these 2 things?? i was gonna buy them both and do a little testing
Old 04-04-2003, 04:10 PM
Tech Master

If you stay off-power too long in corners, your going to spin out, just like with a regular oneway. Have you tried just using a front oneway on its own? If not, try this first. Also, try minimize the 'sliding' part of powersliding, for fast laptimes, too much sliding is the worst thing you can do. it heats up tires, gets your momentum moving in the wrong direction, is hard to control (but sure looks cool, especially if you can get around fast), and allows a lot of room for others to sneak underneath you because when you slide through corners most people can outpower you out of the corners because they can accelerate more effectively as your balancing side as well as forward traction.

just try minimize the slide and a oneway should be beneficial.
Old 04-04-2003, 04:20 PM
Tech Adept

see thats the thing, i can do i controllably with other cars, its just getti the car to do it with out as much trouble. my old electric was a TL01 and believe it or not i could power slide it contollably easily, but getting it to powerslide was the problem, since theres no Ebrake(lock the back tires) i have to use shear power to rip loose the back end...not easy on stock electric TCs not made for big competition

controlling the sliding is not my problem.

besides, when is heating the tires bad? sure the wear goes up, but you get more grip

and i beg to differ about the momentum, if you drift it right you can keep your momentum up. i use to be able to do it with my nitro stampede, just need to hook up m car a little so it will work correctly
Old 04-04-2003, 07:10 PM
Tech Master

Default sliding

Thats funny you say that Andrew, The club I used to race at was a very technical and tight track so momentum was very hard to keep up. I set the v-one-s I had at the time up with thicker diff oil and slightly heavier shock oil to get a controlled slide and it worked extremely well, very controlable yet enough slide that you could maintain a reasonable amount of RPM into the corner, the real trick was learning to set the car up for the exits! I found that sway bars were also counter productive for this type of set-up. By the way the result was a first in my class at the time.

gt

Old 04-04-2003, 07:23 PM
Tech Master

Nevermind, I was thinking of rubber tires when I referred to tire heating.

I ask you this, Are you sliding in the beginning of the turn or throughout the turn?

Also, if you want your car to get into a slide more easily, just increase the amount of rear droop that you have. If you want to go further, you can put in softer front springs and decrease the amount of rear toe you have. you could also lower the front end, or add a rear swaybar. This is if you are using your brakes to kick out the rear end of your car.
If you add a oneway, your going to have to change the way you drive the car because you really can't do much braking or coasting, but you will have more steering.
Old 04-04-2003, 07:57 PM
Tech Master

add Dragbrake
Old 04-04-2003, 10:07 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by AndrewtheRCman
see thats the thing, i can do i controllably with other cars, its just getti the car to do it with out as much trouble. my old electric was a TL01 and believe it or not i could power slide it contollably easily, but getting it to powerslide was the problem, since theres no Ebrake(lock the back tires) i have to use shear power to rip loose the back end...not easy on stock electric TCs not made for big competition

controlling the sliding is not my problem.

besides, when is heating the tires bad? sure the wear goes up, but you get more grip

and i beg to differ about the momentum, if you drift it right you can keep your momentum up. i use to be able to do it with my nitro stampede, just need to hook up m car a little so it will work correctly
If certain tyres get above certain temps they can under perform
Old 04-05-2003, 12:14 AM
Tech Adept

about the tires, i guess ill to swap tires and see what work best for my setup

well im kinda glad to know a sway bar might not be the best thing for my car. my LHS wants 40 friggin bucks for the nice one

im2lazy- really i just want it to do a little bit of both. as long as i can get it to slide at will it will be fine, but getting it there is the trick for now
Old 04-05-2003, 01:27 AM
Tech Master

I thought that you were using foams (reason why you were considering running solid rear axle as well as the front oneway), but really, only rubber tires overheat.

Usually, the rear droop thing gets that rear end to go toward the outside of the turn.
Old 04-05-2003, 04:43 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

If you're running an NTC3 try to just get it to hook up well and make a nice round corner. This car carries so much speed I think you'll be quiet surprised how fast it goes. And to give you a direct quote from Mark Pavidas "Everytime you break the tires loose you lose at least a tenth of a second." Just remember that everytime you slide around a corner.

Jon
Old 04-05-2003, 08:23 AM
Tech Adept

i have to disagree there. if you carry you momentum the right way you wont loose time

back when i use to geek it alot i played GT3 alot and all my cars were setup for sliding, most of the time id pick up seconds around the track and id go slower when i did the normal turning

anyways, im not looking to break it loose at every corner, but their always corners where breaking loose is the quicker way around and knowing my LHS, there track is gonna have it all when it opens. they bought enough land behind their store to make 2 onraod tracks, 2 dirt tracks, a drag strip, and a boat pool for racing and room for tons and tons of pit areas

this is why i need to be able to break loose at will

maybe ill try just a solid rear, that might do the trick

be real nice if there was a one way for the rear so it'd act like a car with limited slip
Old 04-05-2003, 08:57 AM
Tech Master

With off-road and indoor electric on non-carpet areas sliding the tail can be the fastest way around. But with Nitro On-road with foam tires sliding is definately not the fastest way. You have to be more smooth and flow around the track.
Old 04-05-2003, 09:04 AM
Tech Adept

im not gonna be running foams. someone up ere thought i was but i never said what i was gonna be running. actually im running my crappy stock rtr tires, but im probably gonna play around with different sets at see what works. but for now i just wanna make sure it will slide, ive seen ones with slicks that were stock and they seemed to hook up too well in the back for my style
Old 04-05-2003, 01:02 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by AndrewtheRCman

When you overheat your rubber tyres, the grip goes down because the rubber gets greasy and loses grip. Overheating a foam is almost impossible.

Your way of driving seems fine to run a Nitro truck, but isn't much effective into a tarmac track. Probably if you run a 1/8 on-road car, you can have any success driving like you say, but not with electric cars nor 1/10 touring cars.
Old 04-05-2003, 10:13 PM
Tech Adept

well we will see, i personally think it can be done

also the grip issue depends on the compound. some workj some suck. which i why ill hjave to ply around with tires

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.