Community
Wiki Posts
Search

G4 EVO GEARING

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 10:28 PM
Tech Initiate

Default G4 EVO GEARING

HELLO ALL I LIVE IN BARBADOS WEST INDIES AND OWEN 5 G4 EVO'S. I USE JP ENGINES IN THEM 4 3 PORT AND ONE 5 PORT.
I AM LOOKING TO FIND OUT HOW THE GEARING WORKS.

AT PRESENT I AM USEING THE STANDERD GEARING AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOE IF I AM USING 51/46 19/24 AND WANT TO USE A 51/46 AND 19/24 WILL THE SPEED ON THE CAR INCREASE OR SLOW DOWN?

BRIAN
Old 01-27-2007, 10:34 PM
Tech Addict

That's the same gearing...perhaps you miss typed?
Old 01-28-2007, 03:33 AM
Tech Initiate

Default G4 EVO GEARING

YES I WAS WORNG STANDED GEAR IS 51/46 19/24 BUT IF I USE 51/46 21/25 OR 51/46 18/23 WHICH IS THE ONE FOR FASTER

BRIAN
Old 01-28-2007, 08:03 AM
Tech Elite

please define faster ??
Faster top speed or faster acceleration ?

of the 2 gear combos given :
21/51 1st and 25/46 2nd will have more top end at expense of accelleration.
18/51 1st and 23/46 2nd will have more acceleration.

Id suggest try and change the 2nd gear ratio only and see how this runs .Try iether a larger pinion ie: 25t
Or try a smaller spur gear ie:45
Old 01-28-2007, 08:53 AM
Tech Addict

I guess it would depend on if you want top speed, or faster acceleration. If you're racing it may depend on the track you're running on.
Old 01-28-2007, 12:36 PM
afm
Tech Master

Let’s take a look at your transmission and see just what kind of tuning options you might have.

Gear Ratio
The primary tuning option relating to your car’s transmission is the ability to change gear ratio by using different spur gears or pinions. Before we talk about the effect of gear ratio changes, let’s spend a moment sorting out the terminology.
Gear ratios are most often quoted in the form “2.0 to 1”. This can be represented in writing as 2.0:1. This means that the motor must rotate 2.0 times for the car’s driven wheels to complete one full revolution.
The internal ratio of the G4’s differentials is 2.526 to 1

The formula for calculating gear ratios looks like this:
(# Teeth on spur divided by # teeth on pinion) multiplied by Internal diff ratio = Final Gear Ratio

We’ve already seen how gear ratios can be represented as numbers (e.g. 7.8:1). The tricky part is in describing ratio changes in general. If you put a bigger pinion on the car, the ratio will change to a small number (say 7.4:1). Whilst the numerical figure has become smaller, the actual gear ratio 7.4:1 is said to be a ‘higher’ ratio than ‘7.8:1’. Similarly, moving to a smaller pinion will produce a ‘lower’ ratio (say 8.2:1). Without wanting to confuse you, changing the spur gear has the opposite
effect. A smaller spur gear will result in a ‘higher’ gear ratio, and a larger spur gear will give you a ‘lower’ gear ratio.

Confused? Stay with me.
Gear ratio changes do a couple of things. Let’s look at both the ‘lower’ and ‘higher’ gear ratios separately to see what we find.
A lower gear ratio will mostly give you more run time and more acceleration. It’s also generally easier on your motor.
A higher gear ratio will generally give you more top speed, and less run time. It’s also tougher on your motor.
Once you get to a certain ratio point (lets call it the ‘optimum ratio’) continuing to
change to a higher ratio will do nothing but damage. It will result in your motor overheating and being damaged, and in extreme cases, your car may actually go slower.

How’s that. Did you understand it all? Have another read, and think about it carefully.

Look at this simple chart, which might help make things clearer.

Pinion / Spur / Gear Ratio / Gearing / TopSpeed / Acceleration / Run Timer
Bigger / smaller / higher / up / more / less / less
Smaller/ bigger / lower / down / less / more / more

Hope that helps! For help on choosing your actual gear ratio for any given motor or track, consultor check with the local fast guys.

AFM
Old 01-29-2007, 03:34 AM
Tech Initiate

Default GEARING

THANKS I WILL READ THIS TO UNDERSTAND