Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Shock oil / Differential Oil - Any diff.? >

Shock oil / Differential Oil - Any diff.?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shock oil / Differential Oil - Any diff.?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2001, 04:06 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Shock oil / Differential Oil - Any diff.?

Any diff? No pun intended. (Eh, maybe just a little bit)

But seriously, can any silicon-based oil be used for either shocks or diff? (Taking viscosity into account for their specific applications, of course)

I've got a negative-diff packed with some #30,000 Mugen diff oil and I want to run something thinner. Poking around in my pit box I found several bottles of shock oil in a thinner viscosity. Curiousity wants me to find out if they're basically the same thing.

That and I'm too lazy to head to the LHS for 'real' diff. stuff.
Old 11-13-2001, 04:31 PM
Tech Champion

Default Re: Shock oil / Differential Oil - Any diff.?

Originally posted by ryan
Any diff? No pun intended. (Eh, maybe just a little bit)

But seriously, can any silicon-based oil be used for either shocks or diff? (Taking viscosity into account for their specific applications, of course)

I've got a negative-diff packed with some #30,000 Mugen diff oil and I want to run something thinner. Poking around in my pit box I found several bottles of shock oil in a thinner viscosity. Curiousity wants me to find out if they're basically the same thing.

That and I'm too lazy to head to the LHS for 'real' diff. stuff.
basically they are the same substance. However, since the viscosity of shock oil and diff oil are VERY different, they could not be used for one of the other purpose due to unexpected performance. i.e. you cannot put #30000 into a shock, it would work basically.

You can mix them together to make it in thinner viscosity on the other hand. i.e. you can mix #100 with #30000. But I cannot give you a fomula on how to make up the combination to #10000 etc etc.

Hope this help.
Old 11-13-2001, 04:39 PM
Tech Initiate

Ah, well essentially I would like to try the #10,000 Trinity oil in the negative diff. So, it basically would work then? Hmm..
Old 11-13-2001, 04:42 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by ryan
Ah, well essentially I would like to try the #10,000 Trinity oil in the negative diff. So, it basically would work then? Hmm..
any diff oil works with the negative diff.