Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What do you recommend to get started

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2003, 04:16 PM
Tech Rookie

Default What do you recommend to get started

Welll i have been away from the world of RC cars for a while..and now want to get into it again and have some fun...Went to my local store the owner who is highly recommended....suggested the yokomo gt-4 RTR...i really like the fact it comes with speed right away and also the body styles? I see alot of people her like MUGEN... so what is everyones opionon before i go spend this money
Old 02-24-2003, 05:47 PM
Tech Regular

Default Hmmm....

I guess the first thing is, are you intending to have fun with this kit? Do you want the possibility of decent upgrades? Do you intend to race thus needing a kit that will be competive or at least one that you can get competetive? Is body styling and looks a factor? Is cost a factor? Budget? How is the parts support at your LHS? What kind of kits/cars do they carry? I guess in order for a lot us to even give you a fair opinion of what we would get, I personally would want to answer those questions first before making any type of decision. There is a huge pool of experience here on these messga boards, so I am sure you will get plenty of repsonses.
Old 02-24-2003, 11:50 PM
Tech Rookie

The answer to all your questions is yes....
My LHS carries everything, traxxas, tamiya, HPI, mugen, yokomo...their parts and support seemed to be very able to get what i would need for any product they carry...I wanna have fun and race too...body style what do you mean bounty? I wannna learn get the basics and have the best possibility to upgrade it when the time comes but want something good to learn on....so budget is ummmmm a factor but not so much...so i hope this helps
Old 02-25-2003, 08:43 AM
Tech Elite

Default What do you recommend to get started

Slimsaturn;

Right now the 3 most popular Cars at Southern California race tracks are:

Nitro TC3, Mugen MTX-3, Kyosho V1R(R). Not to say that there others are any lesss capable, but these 3 platforms are what the majority of the RACERS are running out here.

I myself have 3 Reflexes in our family, which is similar in construction to the V1R. The Ofna LD3 looks promising, but the full race kit is several months away yet.

Sounds like your LHS's are well stocked, so go with the crowd or follow your heart and be different. I'm sure that you will have fun with whatever you end up with and there are plenty of us here online to help when it is needed.
Old 02-25-2003, 12:39 PM
Tech Rookie

What does everyone think of the yokomo gt-4?
Old 02-25-2003, 03:14 PM
Tech Master

Yokomo is a very good car, there are a number of guys that run them up here,it's not the new kid on the block, thus there is not that much hype about it on the forums, but it is a proven car and there a lot of hop parts you can get for it on the down side every one i have seen has a leaking diff problem, is it a problem with the car or did the ones i saw just were not put togather right?
One thing you should think about is getting a car that a few other people are running so they can help you with set up help at the track
Old 02-26-2003, 10:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

here there is only one guy i know with a gt4

he likes it

i dont know where he gets parts but you said thats not a problem for you

i heard people refer to them as brokomo before so maybe not very durable i dont know

the guy i know doesnt wreck very often so i couldnt tell

he is pretty fast too

but the car is old and i gotta think they may be working on a new car already

and the rtr comes with a .18 engine correct some races may not allow that engine because legally it is a .12 class

ntc3 is a good canidate cause it has great part support and great instructions but i had one and thought it wasnt quite durable enough for me it breaks kinda easily when wrecked compared to some other cars

i really like my mtx-3 it comes it a great package with engine pipe and header the only flaw is that it really needs to use front universals but everyone normally gets them anyway it includes nice stuff like graphite deck and shocktowers front and rear swaybars and centax clutch

the instructions arent the greatest so if youve never built a kit before that may be enough of a deterent but i know people who have built them as their first kit if you follow the diurections you will be fine a centax isnt hard either i never had one before but i followed the instructions and it worked fine

you definetly have plenty of options
Old 03-03-2003, 01:11 AM
Tech Addict

Chek this v-One RR out, its in aust advertised at my local tracks website. Good deal too.

www.imcc.org.au/BB/Viewtopic.php/?t=66
Old 03-03-2003, 07:44 AM
Tech Rookie

Smile

slimsaturn,
are you talking about old towne hobby? thats the only place that i konw that carries all those cars. I work at the hobby town, in bull run plaza. If you got any questions stop by i could help you out..
To the answer to your questions. Personally i would go for v one R, very fast, and its definaitly race bred. Just need to get used to the one way diff in front. if you dont konw how to use it in racing you may find yourself in the boards before a turn, after a long straight away.