Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ofna Ld3

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2003, 11:01 PM
Tech Adept

Last edited by Bryan N.; 04-08-2003 at 04:50 PM.
Old 04-07-2003, 06:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

OK, now I'm confused. I'm not worried about the 2 speed; i went and ordered the 2 speed kit in the first place. The centax clutch, on the other hand, is something I would look into. Would the NTC3 centax fit? The early messages got me a bit confused. If it would, I'd order one this week. If not, I'll wait for Ofna.

Secondly, How did you manage a LD3 Pro (If indeed you did)? And what's the big differences?
Old 04-07-2003, 05:49 PM
Tech Adept

I believe when the production LD3 Pro comes out it will have carbon fiber radio tray, frontbumber mount, and shock tower. The shocks are different then the rtr(it is aluminum threaded shocks), the chassis is different(slimmer and milled out), centax clutch, and a few other little things.
Old 04-08-2003, 09:39 PM
Tech Master

It's finally here! If it weren't raining, cold and after midnight, I'd be breaking it in. Of course, I need to get some fuel first, but that's a small detail, I suppose. Since it's late, I'll give you a quick rundown and fill it in 2morrow (or as the week goes on)

For a $300 RTR, you really can't beat it, especially compared to it's main competitor, the NTC3. The carrying case is a very nice touch, as is the included 2 speed. I really like the look of the hard coted chasis. It's a change from bare aluminum or blue and purple. The molded 1 piece shock towers are thick. The front tower caputres the upper arms. No need to make those out of graphite! Aluminum would be nice, but it will cost. There is only a bit of room from the steering knuckle and the tire, so putting anything over 26mm on the front is risky. To be on the safe side, I'll probably go with a bit of offset. The rear hub carriers don't have an issue with a Nitro Shoe 30mm tire (of course, I did go for 2 deg. offset). The radio tray is sealed nicely, but it will take a bit more work to take it off if you really want to clean the car. The failsafe is made into the battery case, keeping things nice and neat. It's nice to know the 2 speed uses threaded gears, so ratio changes will be a bit easier. There is a primerless tank that sits relatively low. The lower bumper seems plenty stiff, but the body mounts connect with the upper bumper brace. Not so sure that's a good thing. The 300M body has a very nice print job and is already cut, wing mounted and body holes cut. The polished 6 ring pipe looks nice, but I plan on swapping that for the Fantom Works pipe when I get the Collare XS12. I did not see an optional rear exhaust manifold from Ofna (I have to finish the manual) but from the looks of it, the TC3 one will fit.

Now for the gripes. I do like the look of the clear blue plastic shocks, but they should have come standard with the threaded shocks ($40 for a full set from Ofna). There's the usual gripe about the Blazer Sport radio and the standard servos, but those will be swapped soon enough. While I still scratch my head at the inclusion of the Force .12, I was mildly surprosed and pleased thatit now has a slide carb. The motor mounts look to be the adjustable kind, which may have uses later down the line (I wonder if a Big-Block can be wedged in there?) The rims are nice, but they could have come with some better tires. And I plan on getting aluminum rear hub carriers as soon as they come out. There is a bit more flex back there than I'm used to. Then again, it's been a while since I had a pivot ball car.

All said, I am quite pleased with Ofna's offering. I'm not even about to say whether or not it will hold up as well as the NTC3, or which one is better quality. But for the value, you cannot beat it with anything out there now. Bravo!

And now I'm going 2 sleep.............
Old 04-09-2003, 01:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

spenz, theyre selling for 200 rtr on ebay...
Old 04-09-2003, 02:08 PM
Tech Master

1 or 2 speed? Tell me I didn't get beat out of $100!
Old 04-11-2003, 02:18 PM
Tech Adept

oops!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3126528866

make that a 115$ beat down.
Old 04-11-2003, 02:52 PM
Tech Master

Not really. I didn't have an engine or another receiver and crystals, so that pretty makes up for that.
Old 04-12-2003, 01:55 AM
Tech Rookie

@rdlken
how does the rd logic pipe work on the ld3. have you tried the associated pipe too, which is the better one?

Thanks
Felix
Old 04-12-2003, 08:51 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Smile ld3

fyi,,,,
the ld3 steering servo saver spring will have to be replaced with
a harder one ,just like the tc3 . i don't know the part # but it is
the slipper clutch spring from the rc 10 gt ae. check the ntc3
thread for part number..
Old 04-12-2003, 05:06 PM
Tech Adept

Default NTC3/LD3 parts compatibility...

huh, there was an advertisement stating that some of the LD3 parts and some of the AE parts are interchangeable and compatible. That would be nice, I hope the spurs are compatible, from former LD3 news it was mentioned that there will be a Delrin Spur 2 speed set and I think they are color coded as well just like the Ofna unit made for the 1st gen HPI. I think the braking system is a little different though. I do like the encased battery case and built in fail safe feauture. Definitely featured pack for the price. Definitely a nice car for the beginner and with a few choice hop ups I'm pretty sure could be competetive with NTC3. I wonder if the LD3 is as free rolling as the NTC3 and if the brakes are as good as the stoppers on the NTC3, since the NTC3 is the best on both counts so far compared to it's competition.
Old 04-13-2003, 04:40 PM
Tech Master

Just got it partially brokem in. The binders are great! no problem locking up all 4 tires. The rubber tires are a joke, though (as if you didn't know). It's quick, even without being fully tuned and having the Force 12. Everyone at the track was taking a look at it and comparing it to the TC3. They like the throttle servo setup a bit better and the rear pivot ball setup looks good to them as well. Everything looked a bit beefier than the TC3, too. For the $300 price and everything that came in it, it lookes like the clear price winner hands down!

It does sound like a cheese grater, though. Maybe it would sound better with the diff oil instead. Breaking it in has been a pain, but it's getting there. I love it so far, and will keep updated soon

Oh, one other thing: The kit has adjustable motor mounts woth multiple mounting holes on the chasis. The general consensus is you CAN put a .21 in there...
Old 05-10-2003, 08:39 PM
Tech Addict

With the versions in Asia (Hong Nor) do they come with the carry bag, radio etc like the Ofna equiv..... I also here apart from the RTR kit there is a kit available without the motor and the radio?
Old 05-11-2003, 07:57 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

why not go to maxxtraxx.com....go to the HPI Savage section...and check out any of the OFNA threads..see what a pleasure it is to deal with OFNA's parts situation,not to mention NITROHOUSE is the only place to get parts(IF they have them)

getting parts is a BIG part of RC..ask any Serpent owner(or ex owner,as it were)..
Old 05-12-2003, 01:11 AM
Tech Addict

???

Originally posted by hooked_on
With the versions in Asia (Hong Nor) do they come with the carry bag, radio etc like the Ofna equiv..... I also here apart from the RTR kit there is a kit available without the motor and the radio?
Also,

Does the LD3 have droop screws like the NTC3?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.