Wiki Posts
Search

Durometer ?????

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 06:28 PM
Tech Regular

Default Durometer ?????

Hi guys:

I am trying to find more info about what is the correct tipe of durometer I should buy and where?

I bought one on ebay, but is class A , that means that is suppose to be use with harder materials, not foam tires. If any of you guys knows a RC site or internet site where I can purchase one, will be appreciated.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

you need a type c for foam tires. they are hard to fine and cost a bit. I do know that TnT hobbies in plano tx has one on there shelf for sale try to call them and see if they will ship to you, I have one made by maxmod which is a good one but he only make them once a year so they go fast
Old 06-11-2006, 08:35 PM
Tech Regular

There is a company that makes them and you can find them on ebay. Can't remember the company but the guys at Longacre told me about the company. But check ebay out first.

Sam
Old 06-12-2006, 05:56 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks guys!!!

I will keep looking, I already tried at Ebay, but the ones showing there are the same I bought , but if you find the site, please post it here.

Thanks
Edgar
Old 06-12-2006, 08:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Edgar Millenium
Hi guys:

I am trying to find more info about what is the correct tipe of durometer I should buy and where?

I bought one on ebay, but is class A , that means that is suppose to be use with harder materials, not foam tires. If any of you guys knows a RC site or internet site where I can purchase one, will be appreciated.

try these sites:

http://www.hoto-instruments.com/durometer.htm

http://durometer.com/

http://www.hardnesstesters.com/durom...ess-tester.htm
Old 06-12-2006, 09:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You're not kidding when you say that these things are not cheap. Rex Durometer has seems to have the most variety. Which model is the most accurate as it relates to foam tires? I wonder how much stand-based readings differs from handheld readings? And what about recalibration?

This chart makes things a bit confusing as far as what model to choose based on type of material:
http://durometer.com/models.php?product=help

Can those with durometers share their testing experience with us? What model do you use? Thanks!
Old 06-12-2006, 11:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I use a MaxMod
Old 06-12-2006, 03:06 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Durometer

Bottom of the page here

http://www.ashfordhobby.com/prod400.htm
Old 06-12-2006, 03:54 PM
Tech Regular

I have a MaxMod that I got years ago, it works fine. It probably is off by a couple of numbers but is plenty close enough for tires. It will tell the difference between a soft 38 and a hard 35....which is little to none.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I ordered the Fastlap/Peacock one from Japan last year and tried it out when it arrived to sort my tires.
http://www.fastlap-rc.com/tdm1/tdm1.html
It does work well and it's very high quality, but like all durometers it is operator dependant. Using a durometer is not like using a pair of calipers or other measuring instrument. It needs to be done with consistency, held properly at right angles, and with a delicate touch. I've been somewhat out of the hobby since last year and haven't used it. PM me if interested.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:07 AM
Tech Regular

HI again:

I appreciate your help here. I tried with assford and they said doesn't have it. Also tried with another online store, and the same thing. Will keep looking, if nay of you guys see one, please let me know.

Thanks
Edgar
Old 06-13-2006, 11:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Edgar Millenium
HI again:

I appreciate your help here. I tried with assford and they said doesn't have it. Also tried with another online store, and the same thing. Will keep looking, if nay of you guys see one, please let me know.

Thanks
Edgar

since you have a shore A meter, maybe you can use this chart to convert A scale reading to C scale reading for now. don't know how accurate the translation is or if it is even close. will try it myself later.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:13 PM
Tech Addict

If you want the real deal go to http://www.ptc1.com/ and call them up. It is a modified OO scale and ask them for the Paris Racing spec if the parts are still available. They were the manufacturer for the Paris duro and are great instruments.

If you can find one, the MaxMod is a pretty great tool as well and considerably cheaper.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:03 PM
Tech Regular

Hi!

I did what fraz said. The lady who help me didn't know that Ron Parin is no longer in business, she told to buy it to him, after explaining her why he is no on business any more, she told that those are custom made, and I can order one for the nice amount of $540.00, so I am thinkinkg the idea again to see if it worth it.

Thanks for the help

Edgar