Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is this?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 11:07 AM
Tech Rookie

Default What is this?

I picked this up from a buddy and can't identify it. It is a serpent, it's not a Vanteq, I think it's a Vector, but I can't tell if it's a spec 2000 or an NT. I looked at the MyTSN site for a few hours looking at the exploded views of every car, and it is very close to the Vector spec 2000 but the rear hub uprights and chassis are different, as is the top plate. Also I was wondering what a fair price would be for it. It is in really good shape, came with a new clutch disk and bell, and a Mega NovaRossi Evo 4 engine that runs purrfect. Also comes with a started box and reciever pack, I just added my steering servo and radio. I looked for HP info for the Evo 4 online but couldn't find much. Does anyone remember these cars or have parts for them? So far I have tried www.shopserpent.com and one other site I lost the link for. They had the rear up-rights listed for a spec 2000 but on that car the shock mounts to the lower a arm, on mine it mounts to the upright. Hub, I always called it a rear hub but serpent calls it an upright. Whatever the axle goes through. This thing is freaky fast! I haven't even had it in second gear yet, I'm too skeered to without a failsafe. Would it be worth it to get the package and keep the motor and sell the car?
Attached Thumbnails What is this?-dsc00022-medium-.jpg   What is this?-dsc00024-medium-.jpg   What is this?-dsc00026-medium-.jpg   What is this?-dsc00025-medium-.jpg   What is this?-dsc00023-medium-.jpg  

Old 05-31-2006, 11:51 AM
Tech Rookie

OK, I am pretty sure it's a serpent impact. It came with a veteq manual so I just assumed it was 1/8 scale and never looked at 10th scale. I looked at the side of the evo 4 and it has 15 cast into it. Are these newer and decent?
Old 05-31-2006, 12:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

It is a Serpent 235mm car it looks like. I think it would probably be faster with 4 wheels.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by garlicbreath
OK, I am pretty sure it's a serpent impact. It came with a veteq manual so I just assumed it was 1/8 scale and never looked at 10th scale. I looked at the side of the evo 4 and it has 15 cast into it. Are these newer and decent?
It is indeed Serpent Impact M2 2000 spec.....1/10th scale, 235mm wide. Not touring car class, and not 1/8th....it is a class that less and less ppl are racning, but I still have my 835 and so does several guys and we are hanging in there. Throw away that Veteq manual......not even close to your car.

For your information, big block 15 engine (like the EVO4 that you have) are discontinued long time ago, so does this car...both discontinued like couple years ago. However, Serpent still support the parts cause the newer 835 still use alot of the same parts from IMPACT....ebay and very lilttle store might have parts of the EVO 4 engine, but good luck finding them....so don't think you can run that forever and can replace it with a new one cause not too many place still sell big block 15 engine.

The whole thing (like you mention) should be $400 or less (ebay price)...cause I sold my M2 before with engine but no starter box for like $325 a while ago...

To get the car going...you need upright, dogbone, shock shaft, lower arm or so...$50 should cover it for new parts...check ebay for cheaper or used parts.

Keeping a car like this is ONLY because of the love of 235mm........it is no longer as fast as it used to cause any 200mm TC with powerfull 12 outlaw engine and LOLA body can just as fast but lighter and quicker in corner then the 235mm........if you expect to use her to race on organize race........beside touring car national outlaw class, Mid West Series or some local club racing........you don' have much chance to race her.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:43 AM
Tech Rookie

How can you tell if the car is shifting? I heard my t-maxx shift, and 1/8 scale cars, but this one doesn't seem to shift into 2nd. I tried it on the street, and on the bench but didn't rev too much, IIRC it's not good to rev without a load on the motor.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by garlicbreath
How can you tell if the car is shifting? I heard my t-maxx shift, and 1/8 scale cars, but this one doesn't seem to shift into 2nd. I tried it on the street, and on the bench but didn't rev too much, IIRC it's not good to rev without a load on the motor.
My 835 can FEEL and HEAR when it shift....yours should do the same (cause they are the same)

(1) When you lift the car in the air, start loading the gas a little - slower...then keep going up untill WOT...you should FEEL the car "jerk/yank" like when you are sitting in a muscle car when it shift from 2nd to 3rd gear...

(2) When it shift...you can hear the RPM rev differently

Problem shooting...

(1) If you cannot feel or hear it shift....your engine might not be in the high RPM...adjust engine needles.
(2) If not engine, it might be your clutch...
(3) If not the engine and clutch...check the 2-speed clutch, see manual for detail setup....or you might have a worn 2-speed clutch shoe, replace it)
(4) Your 1-way bearing on the 1st gear might be bad....replace that hub.

Hope that work....