Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
RC Pro Onroad Round 2, Western Division, Santa Clara, Ca. >

RC Pro Onroad Round 2, Western Division, Santa Clara, Ca.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RC Pro Onroad Round 2, Western Division, Santa Clara, Ca.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 01:52 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by richey
I had a meeting with the County about 10 days ago where we made some decision on how we were going to preserve the lay out of the track and make sure everything goes back in the same spot. The P.O. is complete so i should get the go ahead in the next couple of weeks, should take a full day to remove everything, then we will paint the pipes and the paving company will do there part. Probably another day to put things back in place, then we will have to paint the lines. I am trying to line up a laser liner striper to make it all look good. Lot of work that will be done in the summer heat.
i really do think that richey can do a world class type of race event The only thing that is missing, which is totally unexcussable is.......... where are the trophy girls!
Old 07-05-2006, 06:22 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rcracerdude
i really do think that richey can do a world class type of race event The only thing that is missing, which is totally unexcussable is.......... where are the trophy girls!
Ken,
You need to follow Toffelmire a little more closely he knows where they are, he studies way into the night at the library.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Ken,
You need to follow Toffelmire a little more closely he knows where they are, he studies way into the night at the library.

ugh......................K-5.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:12 AM
Tech Addict

Ken,
Old 07-05-2006, 07:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I am just dragging in the door from the 4th of July festivities after the race. I have to say, I had a blast at the RC Pro Series race. Fun was just in the air and it was contagious. Even the drivers meeting was entertaining. Congrats to all the winners & TQ's. Scott gave us a show of what fast should really look like after a rx pack gremlin caught him about 30 minutes in and a about 3 laps up. He pulled off some amazing 17.2's when everyone else was happy with an 18! The 8th scale A Main guys were lining the sides watching the sedan finish. That was close! Thello has to be real happy with his new ride. I hear that it sits on the nightstand while he's sleeping dreaming of roll bars

Brian
Old 07-06-2006, 05:39 PM
Tech Elite

Hey All,
A while back, Rich said that I should come down to the RC Pro Series Race the beginning of July. It was going to be at the Ram's, so I knew the routine getting there. The guys have been great to me by picking me up at the airport only a couple of minutes away and set me up with pit tables. I told my buddies that I planned on doing this race. Turns out, they wanted to have some fun too so they went with me. I told Rich I had company coming to which he replied: Great! The Empire tent was very accommodating all weekend.

Brad Johnson, Paul Leask and myself showed up early Friday morning and felt late already. Jim Adkins said the track had been open for an hour. We got settled in. There was a light overcast with about 70 degrees in the morning that turned into clear skies and about 80. Perfect! Brad still runs his HPI Proceed which I tease him that the Smithsonian Museum called while he was on the track looking for their car back. Many guys came by looking at his car asking what it was. It still works really quite well for a car designed likely in the late 90's. Many of it's features are on our cars currently. We had a good practice during the day. We got the cars working well. I got the chance to try different suspension geometries that Kyosho has made available. The 7-3.5 blocks was one of those tests. I went from the Empire 7-2 high block to the stock 7-3.5 and found that it still maintained rear grip but it felt like it increased the corner speed some.

Qualifying for the RC Pro Series is 3 rounds of 10 minute qualifiers taking your best run to seat you for the main. Yep, that's right. You have to make a fuel stop during qualifying. Or in my case, I had to plan on two. The course lay out had several carousel style corners that required you to be on some power. The only 180 style corner would have been the one off of the straight. This cut into mileage for most racers. If you had big horsepower, you were going to have trouble making 5 minutes. Many ran out at 4:50 (like I did) about 50-100 feet in front of the pits.

Scott Kimbrow was in the first round of 1/8th scale open with Jimmy Jacobson. Ultimately, the track was at it's fastest for round one. These two controlled the tempo while the other drivers simply parted from the line as they approached. Scott in his Empire Kyosho Evolva laid down the only 33 lap run of the day while Jimmy was close behind in his Mugen with 32 laps. The track did remain fast all day. If it slowed 2 tenths, I would be surprised. Thello Jurdon had just built an Evolva that Thursday for this event. It was working pretty good right out of the box as he had 3rd on the grid. Brad, in the prehistoric HPI was 6th!

Round two was tough for many of us. Scott lost a clutch part way in. I lost 1st gear due to a bulkhead bearing. Jason Baumbach was having some tuning troubles due pressure inconsistencies. I think that Brad cleaned out a set of gears. But Thello, Jim and Paul forged forward. Scott's TQ remained through round two.

I was 0 for 2, so it was time to get a little more conservative and at least get in a decent run. I planned on two stops. The tires I chose, had been run on all day were at 72.3mm's. I had hoped that they would be in their prime. After loosing a gear in round 2, I was paranoid about the gear box and decided that I should test it to see if it was shifting properly in the pits. I did not sense a shift and made an adjustment that I later regretted. The car early shifted on the track now and a proper tune made it shift too soon. There was a bump on the front right that would drop the car into 2nd if you couldn't stay out of it. That made the car pull slowly up through the middle of the track. My tires turned out to be on the edge of too small and the car was touching a lot towards the end of the run. But with a car that was rich, too small of tire and shifted early, I placed it 6th on the grid for the A.

Jim was able to put together a strong run for 3rd on the grid with a 32 lapper. Thello sat at 4th, while Scott and Jimmy remained 1 and 2. Steve Perez had a new Serpent 960 5th on the grid with a fast 31. I was hanging out at 6th with a medium 31. Eric York and Tyler Vik rounded out the 7th & 8th spots with a pair of close 31's. Dana Smeltzer was left behind wearing the BQ Helmet.

A bunch of us cleaned up as best we could and headed over to Pedro's for some drink and food. After a couple of Mexico's finest brew's, the stories and laughter began rolling. Since Thello was the new guy, he was grilled a bit and asked how he liked the Evolva. At some point, there was a comment that was taking the car home for some lovin'. He said that it was an easy car to race and had not found any narrow windows for set ups. In short, he liked it. The Empire crew had him up to speed right away.

Some great racing came from the lower mains. The E in particular was great to race watch. John Fraizer had some close racing and ultimately took the win. But wait! There was a protest which resulted in the 15 minute main to be re-run. This time, Kevin Wiese looked pretty good in his Slide and grabbed an early lead while John got bounced around in the back. John patiently picked his way to the front and reeled Kevin in. The last 4-5 minutes was what racing is all about. They went side by side, swapping spots here and there, tension in the pits during a splash-n-go... the entire race was fun for all. Many were on the side lines watching. In the end, John nudged Kevin out for the win, but they both transferred and would continue the battle.

The C Main had Paul Leask holding the pole with his OS powered Mugen. He ran most of the race in the lead until Jonathon Lei got around on the point. Paul hung out just behind Jonathon just enough for the transfer. You could see the wheels turning, thinking to himself: I'd rather start last then 9th!

The B Main was thick with Empire drivers: Jason, Khan, (the two loaners) Brad and Paul, and a little known current Masters Champ Harry Hanonochi driving a Mugen. Harry and Dana controlled the pace of the race while attrition started to take it's toll on the others. Paul was hanging out around 5th, then 4th, then he started get closer at 3rd. About 15 minutes into a 25 minute main, Paul lost the side belt which almost dashed his hopes for making a run at the leaders. A quick sprint through the pits recovered a new side belt and back to the racing. Dana had knocked a link off of a knuckle with only 3 minutes to go as Paul closed in. Dana's pit crew popped it back on to save the day. But with only about a minute to go, he lost 1st gear. Harry went on for the win while Paul was able to get by for 2nd on the last lap for the transfer into the A.

The Sedan A was finishing up with all the A Main 8th scale guys watching on. That too, turned into a great race to be decided in the last lap. With the driver introductions complete, it was time to drop the flag and get down to business. Scott, Jimmy, Jim and Thello instantly got into formation for the 45 minute race. I was in trouble right away with a blown front belt. Steve worked his way towards the front after several laps. Scott was in cruise control in the lead. Jimmy had a bit of trouble and had to peel off. Thello worked up to 2nd with Jim close behind. About 30 minutes in, Scott appeared to have a rx pack problem and had to give up his 3 lap lead for a pit stop. A suspected battery bar breakage may have been the culprit. Thello took over the lead with Jim still trailing. Jim chunked a tire bad enough that it required a pit stop. Tyler was running 3rd when Scott re-entered the track. By this time I was on the side lines watching on. We could tell that it was now " The Kimbrow Show Time". Scott pulled off a series of 17.2's and .3's trying to catch back up to the leaders. This was easily half a second faster then the field's pace. Watching the car dive and lift in every corner just inches from the boards was just flat impressive. Thello on the other hand had two laps and time on his side over Jim. With victory in hand, Thello literally parked the car just past the loop when time expired. There was high fives, hand shakes, low fives, belly bumps... the whole thing. Jim rounded out the field in 2nd, Scott was able to take 3rd with Tyler taking 4th. The Empire Team swept the podium!

Paul, after hour and 20 minutes on the stand, said that he was "done". He had his fix for a little while. He stayed on stand for 3 mains and ultimately finished 7th.

I have to say that I had a blast this past weekend. Fun was in the air and it was contagious. Mike Evertt directed the race and was fun to listen to. Even the drivers meetings had some tears rolling. Ron Lau controlled the computer to a "T". Steve Webster, the RC Pro Series director flew out from Texas to be part of the race. He even commented that the Ram's group knows how to have some fun at the races. I know that have to thank Rich Browne and the Empire Team for all the hospitality for the entire weekend. We will be looking into more trips soon with this group.

Get ready for the Great Lakes Challenge!

Brian
Old 07-06-2006, 06:14 PM
Tech Elite

Correction!!!
I was just informed that Tyler Vik took 3rd in the 8th Scale Open class. That moved Scott to 4th. There was a one lap penalty to Tyler that may have been improperly given. Tyler at the age of 15, definitely "wheeled" his ride to podium with a talented field of drivers. We will have to keep an eye on this guy! If you think about it, the other guys he's racing against could all be his dad! We know that is not the case, I saw his parents cheering him on from the side lines and pit lane.

Keep it up Tyler.