Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What .12 engines?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2003, 04:44 PM
Tech Regular

Default What .12 engines?

HI! Hope you guys can help me out! I'm replacing a new engines on my NTC3, there is so many good engines out there and I don't know which one to pick, can someone please make a suggestion? I was thinking about the .12 sirio or the Mugen mr-12. Thanx for the help!
Old 01-06-2003, 04:51 PM
Tech Master

Either of those are great engines. I personally lean towards Novarossi based engines. If you need a ROAR legal engine, the STS modded 3 port engine distributed by Team CRC (see thread in this forum) is pretty fast at a bargain price. They're faster than most, if not all, unmodified 3 port engines and go for about $150. Not too bad.
Old 01-06-2003, 04:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

i cannot give you a biased opinion cause i have a mr-12 and 5 port sirio and plan to get roar legal sirio also

what i can tell you is my mr-12 is fast it was modded but so are engines i have run it against including modded sirio and i kept pace quite well i think it will last longer than sirio but only time will tell

sirio engines are fast probably the fastest engine youll ever see for the price

looking inside the 5 port sirio is impressive it looks like a killer engine i havent broken it in yet but a friend has one and he says it is unbelievable i believe him because he does my mods and has also had just about every engine you can think of his choice is sirio
Old 01-06-2003, 05:03 PM
Tech Regular

Thanx for the reply! I take a look at the crc. Do the Sirio really put out 1.8hp, the race legal one?
Old 01-06-2003, 05:19 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Ducati998
Thanx for the reply! I take a look at the crc. Do the Sirio really put out 1.8hp, the race legal one?
no.
Old 01-06-2003, 05:23 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by patelladragger
no.
Why?
Old 01-06-2003, 05:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

trinity overstated the hp rating if you look at their website now they have revised it to read 1.4hp 3port and 1.45 5 port trinity also distributes the novarossi engines now and realized that they had better fix those hp ratings

mr-12 is rated at 1.35 i think that these hp ratings are pretty close seeing as how they seem to all be in the same neighborhood

novarossi says their 5 port is 1.5hp and their 3 port is near the mr-12 rating

i think sirio 5 port may be underrated because i think it would be slightly faster than novarossi 5 port just basing it off of what i have seen
Old 01-06-2003, 05:40 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by jason102276
trinity overstated the hp rating if you look at their website now they have revised it to read 1.4hp 3port and 1.45 5 port trinity also distributes the novarossi engines now and realized that they had better fix those hp ratings

mr-12 is rated at 1.35 i think that these hp ratings are pretty close seeing as how they seem to all be in the same neighborhood

novarossi says their 5 port is 1.5hp and their 3 port is near the mr-12 rating

i think sirio 5 port may be underrated because i think it would be slightly faster than novarossi 5 port just basing it off of what i have seen
Thanx for the reply! Which one do you think is the best from your experiences mr-12 or th sirio?
Old 01-06-2003, 08:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I use the Colari engines with no problems.
Old 01-06-2003, 10:35 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Pit-racer
Is Colari really that good of a engines?
Old 01-07-2003, 01:55 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Pit-racer
If Collari engines are based on the Picco RR are very good, but if they're based on the XP engines are pretty useless. Some track buddies had some Picco XP and needed to swap for others (Novarrosi, Sirio, RB) because has the bad habit of flameout constantly and being hard to start when are warm.

Have several engines (JP RS12S1, RB and Sirios) but the best bang for the buck goes for the Sirio.
Old 01-07-2003, 02:29 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Corse-R
If Collari engines are based on the Picco RR are very good, but if they're based on the XP engines are pretty useless. Some track buddies had some Picco XP and needed to swap for others (Novarrosi, Sirio, RB) because has the bad habit of flameout constantly and being hard to start when are warm.

Have several engines (JP RS12S1, RB and Sirios) but the best bang for the buck goes for the Sirio.
I thought Team AE had Picco XP engines in their cars (with the exception of Mark Pavidis in the A finals) in the world meet. They even had the Picco brothers to tune their engines. It must say something then.
Old 01-07-2003, 03:02 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by InitialD
I thought Team AE had Picco XP engines in their cars (with the exception of Mark Pavidis in the A finals) in the world meet. They even had the Picco brothers to tune their engines. It must say something then.
InitialD:

My own experiences on Picco XP products (not the experiences of others).

Summer 2002 (July): European championships of 1/8" track at madrid. I act as mechanic of a friend and with 2 brand new engines we suffered a lot of pain having that Picco Engines worked well. Alberto Picco was at the track and asked help to eliminate all problems of our engines, we break-up the second engine with their own instructions to do it. Second engine fails too and after trying to tune it and get rid of flameouts wasn't possible. Tried everything, swap carburetors, rebuilding all the o-rings, changing plugs, fuel... none worked.

After giving too many oportunities to Picco, we went and got a Sirio .21 AAC, broke-in and went to the track, all problems gone with the same plugs and fuels that the Picco engine refused to work properly.

August 2002: Reedy International Race, some people went with Picco engines and none survived, some flameout constantly and don't run (different cars) others went up to 160ºC and gave up the ghost and not performing well. A quick swap for Novarrosi S3 or JP engines solved all the problems.

I saw so many problems with Picco engines in between. Suffered a lot for carburating the engines (I'm not a novice carburating engines) and give-up with them. For me, actually are the worst engines you can buy, instead of Picco, almost all can be much better and reliable: Novarrosi, RB, JP, Sirio, Rossi.

Regarding Picco engines at the worlds... I cannot say anything about them (I wasn't here) but for sure that Alberto Picco refrained from sending a not correctly working engine to Team AE and for sure that personally him assured that those engines work. But if Mark Pavidis decided to not run Picco engines and run a RB for me is enough prove that something doesn't smell good at Picco factory.
Old 01-07-2003, 10:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

my opinion about sirio vs mr-12 is that the sirio would be cheaper and faster but the mr-12 would probably outlast sirio

my mt-12 engines were great lasted many gallons before i sold them they are still running now i think

but if your like me and you get engines somewhat frequently the sirio is cheaper and most likely faster

i have seen a sirio blow a rod already i think its cause they rev so high

im going to have both for the coming race season

something i have noticed on other peoples cars is the sirio engine seems to idle really well and run a little cooler but i does have a bigger head
Old 01-07-2003, 12:34 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by jason102276
my opinion about sirio vs mr-12 is that the sirio would be cheaper and faster but the mr-12 would probably outlast sirio

my mt-12 engines were great lasted many gallons before i sold them they are still running now i think

but if your like me and you get engines somewhat frequently the sirio is cheaper and most likely faster

i have seen a sirio blow a rod already i think its cause they rev so high

im going to have both for the coming race season

something i have noticed on other peoples cars is the sirio engine seems to idle really well and run a little cooler but i does have a bigger head
That very hard to pick after reading your post, thanx for the help. But I might go for the mr-12.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.