R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-11-2006, 12:15 AM   #16
Tech Regular
 
dnitro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 311
Default

The GQ tires are very strong and have looks very good too. Similar to BBS mesh.


__________________
TM G4S
IDM Evo3
dnitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 01:45 AM   #17
Tech Champion
 
Team Kamikaze's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: 我的名字是沈先生。我是中国人, 居住美国
Posts: 8,868
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnitro
The GQ tires are very strong and have looks very good too. Similar to BBS mesh.


GQ TIRES ARE DEFINITELY OUT OF THE TOPIC THEY ARE TOO EXPENSIVE and ORANGE in COLOR I suggest either the MICRO SYSTEMS TIRE, THE NEW JACO/SERPENT, TWISTER or MONO the prices on this tires are very competitive and they perform well
__________________
Home of the Kamikaze Driver's Development Program = guaranteed podium finish
Kamikaze Toys and Hobbies Inc.
Follow us here on Facebook!
Team Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 03:59 AM   #18
Tech Fanatic
 
Tommy Bergfeldt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Sweden
Posts: 979
Send a message via ICQ to Tommy Bergfeldt
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Kamikaze
GQ TIRES ARE DEFINITELY OUT OF THE TOPIC THEY ARE TOO EXPENSIVE and ORANGE in COLOR I suggest either the MICRO SYSTEMS TIRE, THE NEW JACO/SERPENT, TWISTER or MONO the prices on this tires are very competitive and they perform well
IMO the Microsystems color NEON RED looks even worse then GQ's orange.
A dish rim with small slots like the Serpent rims is probably the best design, in white or neon yellow color.
__________________
JMI Motorsport / Red Bull Racing
HB Cyclone TC - Schumacher CAT SX & Cougar SV
Advanced Electronics - Autopartner.se - Sav÷x - NorthTQ
Tommy Bergfeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 05:08 AM   #19
Tech Elite
 
British Menace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Davenport, IA
Posts: 2,337
Default

With the rim..... it neads to be a tough and stiff as possible !
Cars are getting faster and faster. To keep up, the rim neads to replicate this and be able to withstand the cornering forces placed on them.
It would be a good idea to try and incorporate minimal slots to aid adjustments. But stiffness and strength nead to be paramount.

If your going to aim at the racing faternity (mainly) then the idea mensioned above of only making the foam 63mm Diameter would be a good idea.
I don't know of anyone who runs a larger tire then 62mm !

Put the set in a small bag. It helps to keep foams fresh, moist and ready for racing. Without, the foams get 'old' quicker while never having been opened.

I would go with the european type foam. It's long lasting and has very good grip.
Ran out of time.
Tony
British Menace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 05:16 AM   #20
Tech Fanatic
 
teammpp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 894
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by British Menace
With the rim..... it neads to be a tough and stiff as possible !
Cars are getting faster and faster. To keep up, the rim neads to replicate this and be able to withstand the cornering forces placed on them.
It would be a good idea to try and incorporate minimal slots to aid adjustments. But stiffness and strength nead to be paramount.

If your going to aim at the racing faternity (mainly) then the idea mensioned above of only making the foam 63mm Diameter would be a good idea.
I don't know of anyone who runs a larger tire then 62mm !

Put the set in a small bag. It helps to keep foams fresh, moist and ready for racing. Without, the foams get 'old' quicker while never having been opened.

I would go with the european type foam. It's long lasting and has very good grip.
Ran out of time.
Tony
Being from Europe i would say the Jap foam is the best. It just depends on which rim you run. Run a set of Ellegi and then run a set of Jap Foam tires on Elligi rims and the Jap rubber will last longer and provide better grip.

I dont mind spending the time to glue and true my own tires. I run a specific rim (Fast Laps) and would prefer being able to get good quality donuts instead.
teammpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 06:20 AM   #21
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 793
Default

It is all Japanese foam. No one uses European foam anymore.
Jack Rimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 07:35 AM   #22
Tech Elite
 
EdwardN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,144
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Let me add some input please.
I will sugest to look into "Active" tires. If you can find out what compounds they use-then you got one of the best set up ready. They are pretty expencive now, but it is set up free (at list for me) tires. here is their web site www.active-hobby.com
Edward
__________________
DISCLAIMER: Since 90% of my posts may be BS, and since my posts may be either insanely idiotic, incoherent, and/or not even close to a rational thought, please accord my posts no more than 10% of credibility.
EdwardN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 09:27 AM   #23
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 166
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I liked the gq tires the rim was strong, tires didnt chunk easily and you had acces to the pillowballs to make adjustments. The orange didnt bother me i liked the bbs styling of the rim too.
Maxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:15 AM   #24
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago Illinois USA
Posts: 9,106
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara
Default

I did some research on EBAY about those who buy RC cars from ebay....those GQ tires (neon orange) does get their attension alot more then white or yellow rims...I think that is a PLUS (on selling cars).

However, I have to agree....GQ price need to get some work. I hope Joseph can look deep into that especially in the US market.

About foams...japanese versus european.....do you guys believe at the end, all the donuts are made in china...? For real....
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:10 AM   #25
Tech Master
 
ROBBIE C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Sunny Cali race land.
Posts: 1,217
Send a message via AIM to ROBBIE C Send a message via Yahoo to ROBBIE C
Default Mugen USA

1rst performance would be the key factor the rim needs to be strong but yet light as you are developing this new product don't settle for anything less.
2nd looks are very important I think a dish rim with a 3.5 hole drill into the outer part of the rim for camber and toe adjustment would be cool, you could also sale different color dish stickers to match your paint scheme.
3rd pricing is very hard to deal with normally when something cost more it means it's a good product I choose to buy Yokohoma's not Kumo's tires for my real car because of performance............LOL.............
ROBBIE C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 12:05 PM   #26
Tech Elite
 
razzor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Durban, South Africa
Posts: 2,810
Default

I think you have to have a trade off.
If you want a quality product taht is value for money then keep things simple.
When you have to many choices it starts getting a bit stupid ,guys cant make up thier minds what they want to use and lhs's have to carry a large inventory to keep all the options.
I would look at option of 3 rim designs ie/; dish,mesh(bbs)and 5/6 spoke.The latter two being simple and classic good looking.Settle on 1 or 2 colours (grey and yellow are my choice).A lip on the rim will help protect the foam from chunking as well as add some strength.
Look at the most popular affsets used.
Finally a durable ,high grip foam pre trued to 62/61mm.
razzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 12:10 PM   #27
Tech Master
 
Local racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Laps up on you
Posts: 1,832
Default Thanks

Guys we are taking all of these in please keep it coming,First protos are being tested this weekend
__________________
http://www.tqracing.net
Local racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 02:19 PM   #28
Tech Master
 
ROBBIE C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Sunny Cali race land.
Posts: 1,217
Send a message via AIM to ROBBIE C Send a message via Yahoo to ROBBIE C
Default Mugen USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzor
I think you have to have a trade off.
If you want a quality product taht is value for money then keep things simple.
When you have to many choices it starts getting a bit stupid ,guys cant make up thier minds what they want to use and lhs's have to carry a large inventory to keep all the options.
I would look at option of 3 rim designs ie/; dish,mesh(bbs)and 5/6 spoke.The latter two being simple and classic good looking.Settle on 1 or 2 colours (grey and yellow are my choice).A lip on the rim will help protect the foam from chunking as well as add some strength.
Look at the most popular affsets used.
Finally a durable ,high grip foam pre trued to 62/61mm.
Grey style BBS rims sounds cool I remeber back in the day proline had a rim call Warlock it was a grey BBs style rim which was my favorite, very racing looking.
ROBBIE C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 02:36 PM   #29
Tech Elite
 
razzor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Durban, South Africa
Posts: 2,810
Default

I dont think cheap is the target but rather value for money.
I would rather buy a set of tyres that could be more durable and have a foam that can give me a fair bit of life possibly have durability to last a race day.
At present I use 2 sets of tyres per club meet.For us in South Africa it can get expensive as we have to deal with a strong Dollar exchange.
We pay about R180 - R200 for a set (4) of tyres which is about $30 - $35
and that is a good price.
razzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 01:14 AM   #30
Tech Master
 
hav_lova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sydney Model Autosports (SMA)
Posts: 1,387
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

To be honest make a good rim and good foam, if someone doesn't like the design theyre and idiot, who can see a rim when your nitro is whizzing down the straight.

What i like in a rim;

* good price
* Strong rims (preferably dish)
* Foam that doesn't chunk
* Fresh new colours (Blue, green, red, bright yellow) give us a choice
* Stickers for tyrewalls
__________________
Just playing with bigger toys now...
serpentrc.com.au
hav_lova is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nitro sedan tires. GRP and Kyosho Red Box Scott Fisher R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 4 08-22-2008 12:28 PM
F.S. Lot of New Nitro Sedan foam tires Stlfc R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 1 07-26-2008 09:53 AM
GQ Tires Looking For Nitro Sedan Drivers TM America Nitro On-Road 20 07-22-2008 10:41 AM
Kawahara 1/10 Nitro Sedan Tires-16 boxes (NIB)) EEChris R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 8 07-11-2008 08:15 PM
FS: BSR Sedan/Nitro Capped tires Mustangz R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 3 04-20-2007 09:20 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:07 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net