Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
NEW Spektrum 3-Channel Micro Racing Rx (SR3500) >

NEW Spektrum 3-Channel Micro Racing Rx (SR3500)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEW Spektrum 3-Channel Micro Racing Rx (SR3500)

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 07:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Why would it glitch vs an electric? Its meant for nitro just the same , has the nitro proof case and so forth. Its just a micro version. If you can live without having a bind button your good to go. Weighs like 60% lighter and just doesnt do telemetry.

Also the DSM theoretically wont glitch, any glitching with the old wasnt actually glitching and was due to problems that have been resolved. The only issue I could see with the micro is its shorter antenna will loose some range. But these things go very far.

Otherwise its the same power , just smaller size and more compact box. You can also trim your regular spektrum antennas. Just I never did that since im a wuss about things like that. But if spektrum wants to send em to me like that. Ill run em...least if it has problems. It wasnt me who created it. I wonder if Ill feel a difference with no antenna now. Cant wait.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:48 AM
Tech Regular

Thumbs up

why would you switch the old spektrum works just fine why change something that is not broken thats how i always put it but if you are going to get a new spektrum definately get the new micro reciever
Old 05-27-2006, 08:58 AM
Tech Elite

Actually the older ones didnt work fine. Reason why there are tons of people sending the old ones in and the new ones came out. The older ones are slower and prone to "shutting down" from water/fuel or dirt buildup causing problems. Now they have a special coating over the circuitry to prevent any sort of glitching and the cases wont get funky either.

Its almost the same price so yeah if you get a new one. Get the pro modules. Im sure the old ones have already been discontinued.

But if you want to go a step further for benefits the micro is good. The main reason for me was the security of knowing my car wont have troubles as well I like there to be as fast reaction as possible from my radio and when adding on a spektrum system your slowing your radio as your adding another link into the chain. The older ones have a larger delay so the newer ones you wont notice as much of a difference.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Artificial-I: Thanks for keeping us up-to-date and well-informed. I really appreciate all the information that you share with us.
Old 05-27-2006, 10:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Artificial-I
The only issue I could see with the micro is its shorter antenna will loose some range. But these things go very far.
You don't lose any range from shortening the antenna. If I recall correctly, the Spektrum guys actually said something about them working better with a shorter antenna...
Old 05-27-2006, 11:26 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
You don't lose any range from shortening the antenna. If I recall correctly, the Spektrum guys actually said something about them working better with a shorter antenna...
Wow. Thats some incorrect info. Yeah, actually you do loose range.

Straight from the manual, since you dont believe me.

Note: If desired, the antenna can be shortened (cut)
to exactly 3.6" with negligible loss of range and in some
applications the short 3.6" length will make installation easier.

Therefore you loose range , but its easier to work with. It would be nice if the shorter antenna made it work better , but they would probably release all of them like that. As of now the regular pro's still come with about an 8.5inch antenna. It wouldnt make sense anyways for a shorter antenna to "work better".

Last edited by Artificial-I; 05-27-2006 at 01:27 PM.
Old 05-27-2006, 01:26 PM
Tech Elite

I have two in stock if anyone is interested in one.

Eric
Hobbytown USA
Old 05-27-2006, 05:42 PM
Tech Regular

Red face

now that you say that the car will run away i am getting the nw one because if my eighth scale car got stuck wide open it could get expensive. thanks for the valuable imformation
Old 05-27-2006, 06:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Simple thing...don't cut the antennae. I have the original Spektrum and have no issues with or. No shutdown, no glitching, no short range....and I didn't cut the antennae. Properly bind it and it'd be good to you. I'd look into the micro definately to shave the lil weight off the chassis and for the cars with tiny rx spots.
Old 05-28-2006, 12:22 AM
Tech Elite

I can go exactly the same distance before and after...so far away that I can't tell which way the car is heading.

There was a pretty interesting discussion a while back concerning the 2.4gHz equipment where the tech guy for one of the manufacturers (not Spektrum as I recall...but 2.4 is 2.4) was saying that you actually get a cleaner signal in some cases with a shorter antenna...less dropped packets from interference. It picks up less garbage.

Anyways, I'm not into splitting hairs...if you don't feel safe cutting a $.00002 piece of wire, then by all means don't do it. Mine works for as far as I can see it, with a long or short antenna and I've never even had one tiny hint of a problem on any of my 6 recievers...that's good enough for me.

You might want to check out the Spektrum thread in the electric forum...Page 25 This has been discussed PLENTY...they work great with a short antenna.

Last edited by Turbo Joe; 05-28-2006 at 12:46 AM.
Old 05-28-2006, 04:56 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
I can go exactly the same distance before and after...so far away that I can't tell which way the car is heading.

There was a pretty interesting discussion a while back concerning the 2.4gHz equipment where the tech guy for one of the manufacturers (not Spektrum as I recall...but 2.4 is 2.4) was saying that you actually get a cleaner signal in some cases with a shorter antenna...less dropped packets from interference. It picks up less garbage.

Anyways, I'm not into splitting hairs...if you don't feel safe cutting a $.00002 piece of wire, then by all means don't do it. Mine works for as far as I can see it, with a long or short antenna and I've never even had one tiny hint of a problem on any of my 6 recievers...that's good enough for me.

You might want to check out the Spektrum thread in the electric forum...Page 25 This has been discussed PLENTY...they work great with a short antenna.
It goes the exact same distance as before? Or you just never tested the full range in the first place? Its not really good to just post what you think if you havent tested it.

It will go less range , spektrum even says this right in the manual. When you try to test and tell us what you think it doesnt help, just passes around wrong info.

Otherwise no , your not going to glitch because you trimmed it and ran it like usual on a track or around the hood. But if you tried to send it far far away with a short antenna sooner or later it will glitch/cut-out before the longer antenna. End of story.

But like I already stated and is getting redudant now. Spektrum goes really really far in the first place. So its going to be a small barely visible dot either way and no one is going to run them that far. So a short antenna doesnt matter except for the benefit of being shorter and easier to work with, unless your trying to go so far that you cant properly see or drive the car a short antenna will be fine.
Old 05-28-2006, 05:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

you don't have to bind it after each use right? once it is binded it's done, like the original "button" unit correct?

cool i want one
Old 05-28-2006, 05:30 AM
Tech Elite

Yeah its a button in a plug form. The only way to bind it is with the blind plug in or basically like the button pressed down. Once removed it wont bind until you reinsert the plug.
Old 05-28-2006, 10:00 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Artificial-I
It goes the exact same distance as before? Or you just never tested the full range in the first place? Its not really good to just post what you think if you havent tested it.

It will go less range , spektrum even says this right in the manual. When you try to test and tell us what you think it doesnt help, just passes around wrong info.
It failsafes at the same place (in front of the same house) up the street that it did before...a long way up the street and far enough up that I can't see what direction it's going.

I think the term I saw was "negligible"...when that's attached to a term "loss of range", all the RC guys see is "loss of range". "negligible" actually has a meaning and it modifies the term "loss of range", so as to mean that you don't lose anything of any significance or value.

Did I buy a roll-a-tape and walk it off and do multiples trials to see if I lost 3 inches? No...I could care less, it 5 times as far as I'll ever need at the track without any problems, so that's plenty good for me.

Did you read the other thread? Pretty good stuff from a bunch of people who actually know a little bit about antennas and how they work...LOL...kinda squares well with what Spektrum says, too...but hey, it's your call...LOL

Last edited by Turbo Joe; 05-28-2006 at 05:28 PM.
Old 05-29-2006, 05:39 PM
Tech Regular

Arrow

alls i know is you will never drive a car that far away from you you will only kneed it to go across the track

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.