Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lil-bump

Bearing thoughts

Old 11-17-2018, 04:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Bearing thoughts

Have done some searching and reading on bearings on this forum. However I wondering if anyone had experience with the rubber seals in Avid rubbers? I am wanting to remove the seals for serving the bearings on a regular basis and have found the brand I am using at the moment deform and then donít seal.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I am a big fan of Avid bearings. At a $1 a piece, I don't feel bad about changing them out rather often. When I do a tear-down, I check every bearing. I often pop the rubber seal out, clean with brake cleaner, blow them off and put a drop of Mobile 1 on them. I then pop the seal back on. If it isn't spinning smoothly because of the seal being a little distorted, I toss the seal and run the bearing(s) so they face away from the outside of the car.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 76 (99%+)

I have run them in my 1/8 Buggies before, and are very easy to service, no issues. As long as you are careful in the seal removal, they will go on fine, just like any other rubber sealed bearing.
- For 1:8 On-road, I have just stuck with the stock SS Steel ones for now. As its easy to buy them in bulk and replace them after a race weekend or two.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:10 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TeamCarnage View Post
I am a big fan of Avid bearings. At a $1 a piece, I don't feel bad about changing them out rather often. When I do a tear-down, I check every bearing. I often pop the rubber seal out, clean with brake cleaner, blow them off and put a drop of Mobile 1 on them. I then pop the seal back on. If it isn't spinning smoothly because of the seal being a little distorted, I toss the seal and run the bearing(s) so they face away from the outside of the car.
Thanks, curious how long bearing lasts with no shield and do you need to use a different type of lubricant to stop it from just flicking out?
Old 11-20-2018, 08:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

The Mobile 1 seems to stay on the surfaces pretty good. When I do run without the seals, I replace the bearing at the next tear-down, regardless if it's gritty or not. Again, at a buck a piece, it's peace of mind that the car will be smooth and free.
Old 11-21-2018, 04:37 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TeamCarnage View Post
The Mobile 1 seems to stay on the surfaces pretty good. When I do run without the seals, I replace the bearing at the next tear-down, regardless if it's gritty or not. Again, at a buck a piece, it's peace of mind that the car will be smooth and free.
Thanks TeamCarnage
Old 11-25-2018, 09:26 PM
Tech Addict

Just wondering about Avid 14.5mm engine bearing, does it have 0.2mm offset same as genuine Nova 14.5mm bearing?
Old 11-29-2018, 06:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Originally Posted by beebone View Post
Just wondering about Avid 14.5mm engine bearing, does it have 0.2mm offset same as genuine Nova 14.5mm bearing?
I've never seen anyone copy the Nova offset bearing to date? I only use OEM bearings inside the engine(onroad). Too many RPMs to cheap out here. You might get away with it for off road engines. but I still would stick with OEM bearings

Pass you soon..
jtrmx250 likes this.