Wiki Posts
Search

HPI RS4 Throwing Motor Mount Screws

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 10:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default HPI RS4 Throwing Motor Mount Screws

Hi all...

I have a one week [and now 15 tank] old RS4 RTR 3. I had no problems with it up untill the 8th tank. Then she started throwing motor mount screws [they were vibrating loose and coming out]. Luckily I didn't strip the spur gear.

After loctiting, [blue loctite] the screws still keep coming out.

I am going to try some rubbing alcohol and Q-Tips tonight in all the screw holes to see if that helps, but was wondering if any of you have experienced this, and if so, had any tips for me?

Thanks allot!
Old 06-16-2003, 12:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

are you letting the loctite fully cure? it takes alot of force to get a screw out after you let it fully cure.
Old 06-16-2003, 01:14 PM
Tech Regular

had the same problem with mine, i have to check them after every race to make sure they are still there, clean out the hole real well and load up on the loctite.
Old 06-16-2003, 01:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by spitfire
had the same problem with mine, i have to check them after every race to make sure they are still there, clean out the hole real well and load up on the loctite.
Try to put there LOCTITE #609. But don't put too much-it is very strong.
Old 06-16-2003, 01:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Sorry, it was for DraKhen99
Old 06-16-2003, 03:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the suggestions... I will be cleaning out the motor mount holes and some other parts of the car either tonite or tomorrow nite, and after that I'll run it. I'll let you all know what happens.

Old 06-16-2003, 04:07 PM
Tech Master

I doubt you will need to go this far, but when I started using allen head screws, they stayed in much better than phillips head screws because if you have a good set of hexwrenches, then you can torque the screws much more firmly.

Make sure that the screw threads are clean as well. I just use a rag to clean them as well as some motor spray. Then put on a little thread lock (not a huge blob), and firmly torque the screw down.
Old 06-18-2003, 10:11 AM
Tech Elite

Default HPI RS4 Throwing Motor Mount Screws

DraKhen99;

Locktite should take care of the screws that mount the Engine to the Motor mounts. However, the mounting screws on the bottom of the chassis will loosen from scraping on the ground even with Threadlock sometimes.

Solutions:

1) If the screws are scraping the ground, raise the Ride height.

2) Use a Quality tool to tighten the screws securely.

3) Put a drop of BLUE (only!!) Threadlock in the screw holes and a little on the screws themselves.

A combination of these 3 suggestions should take care of your problm.
Old 06-18-2003, 10:18 AM
Tech Apprentice

Yeah, funny thing about this stock HPI 15FE engine... it doesn't have motor mounts! That's right, the case and motor mounts are ONE PIECE! So the screws that are loosening are the ones that go through the chassis to the motor.

Last night I took the motor mount screws out and cleaned the holes out with a combination of Q-Tips, paper towel pieces, and rubbing alcohol, using a small hex driver to get the paper towel into the screw holes. Then I put some loctite on each of the new hex screws I'm using and locked them down with my Dynamite hex drivers.

Hopefully I'll get to run her tonite and see if that makes a difference, but who knows with this rainy east coast weather?!?