Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Clutch shoe and spring setup thread >

Clutch shoe and spring setup thread

Clutch shoe and spring setup thread

Old 09-05-2017, 01:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Clutch shoe and spring setup thread

Hey guys this thread is to discuss the best working clutch shoe and spring set ups.

As of now I'm running the nova 71000 ready to go assembled flywheel, shoes and springs. It works great! Came with everything needed to install on the motor. 2 CFM shoes, 2 aluminum shoes and 4 Springs. Feels pretty good so far, I have 4 race days on it so far and it feels pretty smooth. Using it with the nova 13T gear.

About how long do these shoes last?

Should I change the spring tension and/or shoes, bearings?

Post any helpful information,

Setup
Spring tensions
Shoe material
Maintenance schedule

Happy Posting!!
Old 09-05-2017, 08:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

stock losi clutch setups or REDS Quattro clutch system!?!? opinions?
Old 09-06-2017, 02:29 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Evoking1230 View Post
stock losi clutch setups or REDS Quattro clutch system!?!? opinions?
I run the reds and its last long time.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

For me, I feel that the carbon shoes wear too fast on the REDS clutch. I also have buku clutches and they work very well also the Ultimate clutch works good. I currently run the stock SOAR flywheel with VP-Pro heavy shoes and 1.0 springs. So far, no need to look back.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kyosho99 View Post
I run the reds and its last long time.
You should of said don't get it and that its junk. Now I have to add it to my list.

Thanks for the info.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:15 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JRSlash View Post
For me, I feel that the carbon shoes wear too fast on the REDS clutch. I also have buku clutches and they work very well also the Ultimate clutch works good. I currently run the stock SOAR flywheel with VP-Pro heavy shoes and 1.0 springs. So far, no need to look back.
Yeah that's what I thought carbon shoes wear too fast but I inspected my shoes on the nova set up and the carbon looks similar to aluminum. Also the bearings and gear looks good. Around 6 race days since new. But I am not sure on what springs are pre installed on the nova flywheel/clutch set ups? If anyone knows please let me know 👍
Old 09-07-2017, 06:06 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Evoking1230 View Post
You should of said don't get it and that its junk. Now I have to add it to my list.

Thanks for the info.
Honestly in my experience last few gallons but i have heard the buku clutch last forever
Old 09-08-2017, 02:50 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by kunemlavat View Post
Yeah that's what I thought carbon shoes wear too fast but I inspected my shoes on the nova set up and the carbon looks similar to aluminum. Also the bearings and gear looks good. Around 6 race days since new. But I am not sure on what springs are pre installed on the nova flywheel/clutch set ups? If anyone knows please let me know 👍
The novarossi clutch comes with 1.0 springs I run the same clutch and I have about 2 gallons on the same shoes
Old 09-08-2017, 07:42 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Crystal689 View Post
The novarossi clutch comes with 1.0 springs I run the same clutch and I have about 2 gallons on the same shoes
That's good to hear, I'm almost on my second gallon. It's great these little shoes last a while,no more replacing the clutch every gallon!
Old 09-09-2017, 06:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i'm running tekno stock clutch with 4x aluminum and 2x red and 2x gold, depending on the track, If there is a black groove i'll go all gold or even real loose all greens. I always,always change my bearings in the pinion, I atleast check the bigger bearing but always change the smaller one, I'm also running China bearings and had great luck with them so far.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:11 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I'm running Mugen 4-shoe with all metal shoes, 2x black, 2x silver springs.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:36 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by TrespasseR_MN View Post
i'm running tekno stock clutch with 4x aluminum and 2x red and 2x gold, depending on the track, If there is a black groove i'll go all gold or even real loose all greens. I always,always change my bearings in the pinion, I atleast check the bigger bearing but always change the smaller one, I'm also running China bearings and had great luck with them so far.
How often should I change the nova bearings? I check them they seemed ok..about 1 gallon on them
Old 09-12-2017, 05:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

me personally I always check the bigger bearing and always replace the smaller one, nova's are probably better quality so thats up to you, check them at the very least is what I would recommend. And for our A-B mains are 30 mins so ill change them anyway but C and below seems to be 20 or 15min so I wouldn't change them. But if you buy name brand chances are they're better quality and don't need replacing like I do, Just something I do

Hope this helps
Old 09-13-2017, 10:33 AM
Tech Regular

Ok thanks! Yeah I will be checking them after every race day from now on. I always have a pair for backup as well.

Last edited by kunemlavat; 09-13-2017 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Text editing
Old 09-13-2017, 11:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I use the Novarossi clutch with a Protek Losi type bell in my Mugen buggy. The clutch comes with 1.0 springs and has been great. So far I have a gallon on it and it seems that the carbon shoes are wearing at the same rate as the aluminum. The reason for running the Losi type bell is the fact that it uses the bigger bearing and feel that it holds up longer.