Wiki Posts
Search

Best Receiver Battery

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 08:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Best Receiver Battery

I'm planning on buying the Spektrum S6290 high speed for throttle and S6280 high torque for steering. Are there any better options around that price range and what's a great receiver and receiver battery you guys would recommend?

Last edited by Cardiak; 12-12-2016 at 08:44 PM.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I use life's since they never let me done. They only go to 6.6 volts I think so less then a lipo but close to zero drop in voltage w/ a life. Lipo is HV Life is not HV. Pick one that will fit in your tray or box.
Old 12-13-2016, 04:33 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have a TrakPower Life stick pack. it seems ok and I get great run time out of it with 2 savox servos however, it's IR is crazy high. 65 M ohm.
not sure if that's normal for a small LiFe but all my 4s lipos are below 4 M ohm
Old 12-13-2016, 05:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by burnnitro
I have a TrakPower Life stick pack. it seems ok and I get great run time out of it with 2 savox servos however, it's IR is crazy high. 65 M ohm.
not sure if that's normal for a small LiFe but all my 4s lipos are below 4 M ohm
That's normal for a LiFe battery. Different chemistry than a LiPo.

LiFe's are great for receiver packs. The discharge curve is very flat until you get down to the last 20% of capacity. They also hold a charge better over long periods of time unlike the poly packs and don't self discharge.But they are larger than LiPos.

LiPos are just as good if not better as the LiFe's and don't have that ending drop off. They provide move voltage and amperage (which makes your servos faster and stronger) than a LiFe, so they can basicly run longer which is why many people use them. Only down side is the self discharging and they are easily damaged if over discharged.

Since you already have servos that can handle a LiPo pack, now you just need to find one that fits your car. Reedy, ProTek, LRP, TrakPower, Venom, pretty much every company makes good ones and they are all around the same price. Good luck.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:14 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I'm diggin the Lrp packs.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jerm13

LiFe's are great for receiver packs. The discharge curve is very flat until you get down to the last 20% of capacity. They also hold a charge better over long periods of time unlike the poly packs and don't self discharge.But they are larger than LiPos.

LiPos are just as good if not better as the LiFe's and don't have that ending drop off. They provide move voltage and amperage (which makes your servos faster and stronger) than a LiFe, so they can basicly run longer which is why many people use them. Only down side is the self discharging and they are easily damaged if over discharged.

Since you already have servos that can handle a LiPo pack, now you just need to find one that fits your car. Reedy, ProTek, LRP, TrakPower, Venom, pretty much every company makes good ones and they are all around the same price. Good luck.
this is why I wanted to set up my radio (m11X) to use it's Fail safe with the battery voltage. basically like it's a low voltage cutoff in a ESC. or so I think that's how it works. I'm not 100% sure if it's a fail safe for the receiver battery or the radio battery.
and I'm not sure what to set it at. if anyone reading this has any info for this I would love to hear it. I have the owners manual but it doesn't say what voltage is suitable for the kind of battery you're using. I think the option is 3.2v to 5v.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I have been using Nizn double a rechargeable from ebay. I know its not a pack but they are high voltage. I think close to 7.2 volts out of them and there 2500mwh. They last forever in car and my Dx4r radio.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:48 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by burnnitro
this is why I wanted to set up my radio (m11X) to use it's Fail safe with the battery voltage. basically like it's a low voltage cutoff in a ESC. or so I think that's how it works. I'm not 100% sure if it's a fail safe for the receiver battery or the radio battery.
and I'm not sure what to set it at. if anyone reading this has any info for this I would love to hear it. I have the owners manual but it doesn't say what voltage is suitable for the kind of battery you're using. I think the option is 3.2v to 5v.
The fail safe on the radio is there if the rx & tx lose signal.
I have my MT-4 set to 5.2v, so if the battery drops to that or lower, or the receiver loses the RX signal then the TX will make the car apply brakes to stop it.
I use a LiFe pack in both RX & TX.
I think the lowest voltage for a 2s LiFe pack is something like 2.5v per cell, so setting the F/S to 5.2v would stop the pack from discharging to far.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:34 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Jerm13

Is there a specific battery and receiver that you would recommend?
Old 12-13-2016, 09:36 PM
Tech Addict

Accidentally double posted.
Old 12-14-2016, 03:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Life or lipo lrp or ez power is good battery
Old 12-14-2016, 02:52 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by tom1974
Life or lipo lrp or ez power is good battery
Is that Lipo one of the best? I'm not on a budget so I want to get something that's top notch but good value for the money.
Old 12-14-2016, 03:02 PM
Tech Adept

yes go lipo, it's the only choice that will provide the highest speed and torque for your high voltage servos. Some people use life and they prefer a slower servo at 6v. Learn the precautions with Lipo batteries and you're good to go.

They will be listed as Lipo receiver packs..what car is it?
Old 12-14-2016, 03:05 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by nodrog
yes go lipo, it's the only choice that will provide the highest speed and torque for your high voltage servos. Some people use life and they prefer a slower servo at 6v. Learn the precautions with Lipo batteries and you're good to go.
Thanks. I'm going to get a Lipo, I'm just asking which exact brand/model is the best or great quality for the price as well as for receivers.
Old 12-14-2016, 03:20 PM
Tech Adept

opinions on best brand will vary, find a brand that fits your car from a local shop and if not go online shopping. I use the protek pack from amain, seems fine. When I was looking for mine it came down to LRP or Protek but that was mostly due to fitment.

I think when it comes to receiver packs they will be all similar in performance, people believe in their brands and that's cool... just don't buy it out of a van in an alley from some shady dude.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.