Wiki Posts
Search

Silly season is upon us....

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 09:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Micah78
If having the latest and greatest kit, upgrade parts, engine, servos and so on is so unnecessary, why don't you race with your "dated" equipment and show those idiots who's boss? As far as spending a whole weekend racing.... not here in the good old USA. Club racing where I'm at is one day/evening a week. You don't have to have spare kits and high dollar equipment to be accepted and have fun. The only racing that goes all weekend is the once a year "big time" race that brings the pros and all the pressure you speak of. The racing is only as serious as YOU make it. If all you can afford/want to spend gets you a dated vehicle with few spares then there is no one stopping you from racing it. if your so thin skinned that seeing some guy with tons of money wrapped up in the latest/greatest bothers you then you need to check yourself. After all your right about one thing, it's just toy cars! The only ones getting paid are the pros. Winning a race means nothing but bragging rights. I would take plenty of pleasure in pointing out how well I did with cheaper or dated equipment. You don't have to win, to win lol!
LOL I damn near made the A at the last big race of the year here with a kyosho str from 2006. would have made the A if my spur gear didnt strip 35 minutes into the 40 minute race . I was proud as shit, Not bad for a truck that sat in a box for 10 years
Old 12-16-2016, 09:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 105 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chamber
Yah he is, but still the rest of the sponsored drivers are getting something from each sponsor, and it's not really hard to be consistent with setup sheets and be a little more accessible.
Yea,someone had commented on what do the top guys do to help out the teams besides race? I was saying adam is in the office taking calls and such.

Yea lets get back to the gossip/soap guys. Woo-hoo we have rain in socal!!
Old 12-16-2016, 09:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hairymuffin
Yea,someone had commented on what do the top guys do to help out the teams besides race? I was saying adam is in the office taking calls and such.

Yea lets get back to the gossip/soap guys. Woo-hoo we have rain in socal!!
+1 on Adam. I had a question about a nova motor and emailed him (through novadirect). He got back to me same day and offered so much more than just my question. Need more top guys like that.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:48 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by HaulinBass
LOL I damn near made the A at the last big race of the year here with a kyosho str from 2006. would have made the A if my spur gear didnt strip 35 minutes into the 40 minute race . I was proud as shit, Not bad for a truck that sat in a box for 10 years
Kinda makes you wonder what all those "updates/optimization" did for the latest car when someone with a RC10/MP777 shows up and finishes on podium
Old 12-16-2016, 09:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

I guess all drivers are focussing on Chrismas right now. Wonder what Hara has been up to, I think last chassis he recently raced was a privateer MP9 Tki4.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

i think hara is running a hb racing car now
Old 12-16-2016, 09:57 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan
I guess all drivers are focussing on Chrismas right now. Wonder what Hara has been up to, I think last chassis he recently raced was a privateer MP9 Tki4.
Last pic on his FB showed a D815 ironically. Now that Ty is leaving, and HB under new management, what's the chance that he might go back...
Old 12-16-2016, 10:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 105 (100%+)

Originally Posted by redbones
Last pic on his FB showed a D815 ironically. Now that Ty is leaving, and HB under new management, what's the chance that he might go back...
I thought they were saying infinity?
Old 12-16-2016, 10:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The only help anyone needs is of the self-help variety, i.e. a bit of initiative and normal learning by doing. And, if you're lucky, maybe some nice guys at the local track can help you out… You don't need a paid pro driver. Nobody does. If you truly want to insist that you do, then I would just add that to the list of things that are wrong with RC racing, and it's over-the-top wannabe 'professionalization…

Dude you may have lost your mind, Pro's can be very helpful. They have saved my race weekends. Like you said some races take up a whole weekend, what if you can't figure your tune out or a terrible set up or a diff that needs help. Lutz and a few others have saved me from wasting my time and money going to these big races when my rigs were not running/driving properly. Pro's help the beginners quite a bit. Not everybody is a master of RC like yourself.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:23 AM
Tech Master

I think that's more likely too.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:29 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by racingnewb
The only help anyone needs is of the self-help variety, i.e. a bit of initiative and normal learning by doing. And, if you're lucky, maybe some nice guys at the local track can help you out… You don't need a paid pro driver. Nobody does. If you truly want to insist that you do, then I would just add that to the list of things that are wrong with RC racing, and it's over-the-top wannabe 'professionalization…

Dude you may have lost your mind, Pro's can be very helpful. They have saved my race weekends. Like you said some races take up a whole weekend, what if you can't figure your tune out or a terrible set up or a diff that needs help. Lutz and a few others have saved me from wasting my time and money going to these big races when my rigs were not running/driving properly. Pro's help the beginners quite a bit. Not everybody is a master of RC like yourself.
It does not have to be a pro racer whatsoever. It could just be some other guy at the track. That's the way it's always been, no?

I used to get into these "arguments" about nitro vs. electric, and noticed in the "arguments" used by nitro-hating electric fans a really oversimplistic mindset, this idea that it has to be plug and play, instant gratification. That anything needing figuring out is bad. Maybe that's what's going on here? You think getting help from a pro is like pressing a button and having all your problems solved for you? That's what it sounds like... Part of the appeal of racing and nitro in particular is that you have a learning curve, that you get better with experience to master something. I fail to share your notion that I have to rely on a "pro" to make my cars run right. That doesn't mean I think I'm an expert. Just that I realize that I have to learn for myself what's what.

And even if that is the case - that you think any problems which arise can only be solved by somebody else, again, it does not have to be a pro. It can be the guy at the next table...

But OK, take the idea that there should be pros at races to help struggling racers. Then what is their priority - helping people, or winning races? If the former, I can much better understand the need for having them. But then you're talking like tennis "pros" at the local country clubs - glorified teachers, basically. Not overpaid Lewis Hamiltons.. Who wins what race means literally zero to the ordinary racer, practically speaking.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:35 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by racingnewb

Like with many competition, there needs to be some kind of charismatic idol figure. For me, it was Masami back in the days. Each brand needs a "hero/champion", and that's just part of marketing imo. If that person has a good personality(which I think is a must) and lends out a helping hand, even better. It will help lock that consumer to the brand.
If you are there when the pro helps out, lucky for you. If not, well then there are your fellow race mates and well, google It just boils down to how much you really like this hobby. Self motivation trumps all others.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

His old mechanic is with Infinity now if I am not mistaken.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:56 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Everything a lot of you guys are saying makes sense but this is why I hope Ty goes to Xray.....
Although not having a Top U.S. Pro driver has increased my understanding greatly.
Due to the lack of support online, with setups etc.... That has actually taught me HOW to setup a car. I learned exactly what questions to ask myself is the car doing, on what end of the car is doing it, and what change I need to make to fit my driving style. There are no Xray Pro Driver setups to just go look up and copy.... Their track surfaces are different from ours... so their definition of low, med, and high bite is not the same...

Once you get the basics down, I think Pro drivers can help you really get the most out of the platforms...IF you understand that these cars are designed to be driven at a certain level and /or race pace that most of us can't for whatever reason..... Like the firearm analogy that most guns are more accurate than we the shooters are, same can be said for RC.

I think its great to see the cars being pushed to their full potential by guys who actually have the time/talent and put in the work.... Its actually inspiring....
Old 12-16-2016, 11:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by HaulinBass
That's awesome! Exactly what I'm talkin about!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.