Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Silly season is upon us.... >

Silly season is upon us....

Silly season is upon us....

Old 11-02-2016, 07:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Silly season is upon us....

well its that time again were ppl resign deal or move on to more intreasding deal with different brands let see who switchs and who dont
Old 11-05-2016, 09:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Noah Dickerson announced that he won't be with Mugen next year.

TLR?
Old 11-05-2016, 10:35 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Mugen needs to sign a fast established young guy who can make and win A mains in the USA Cole is great but needs someone else with him Drake and Truhe are great but getting on in years. I think there will be a shake up in the Kyosho camp just my opinion. It is going to be fun to see who leaves who and the drama that comes with it .
PS no offense to Noah hes young and has great potential on his FB he said it was not his choice to leave .

Last edited by BermyDomRepRC; 11-05-2016 at 10:36 AM. Reason: added sentence
Old 11-05-2016, 12:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

noah was let go. the most common rumor is hot bodies as he and ty tessman are good buds.
Old 11-05-2016, 10:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BermyDomRepRC View Post
Mugen needs to sign a fast established young guy who can make and win A mains in the USA Cole is great but needs someone else with him Drake and Truhe are great but getting on in years. I think there will be a shake up in the Kyosho camp just my opinion. It is going to be fun to see who leaves who and the drama that comes with it .
PS no offense to Noah hes young and has great potential on his FB he said it was not his choice to leave .
What is considered a young age now? Noah is 19 I thought I read the other day.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GrandeGixxer View Post
Noah Dickerson announced that he won't be with Mugen next year.

TLR?
Kinda weird they did that,i mean he is not a factory driver so there must have been another reason? When you are not at 100%, the teams expectations are not that high. He did very well for his level and represented mugen very well.

A lot of these teams need drivers more than the driver needs a team. Look at kyosho, when was the last time you saw them posting"looking for drivers"?
Old 11-06-2016, 09:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hairymuffin View Post
Kinda weird they did that,i mean he is not a factory driver so there must have been another reason? When you are not at 100%, the teams expectations are not that high. He did very well for his level and represented mugen very well.

A lot of these teams need drivers more than the driver needs a team. Look at kyosho, when was the last time you saw them posting"looking for drivers"?
Just last week.

http://www.liverc.com/news/announcem...vers_for_2017/
Old 11-06-2016, 10:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

That was his point, they need drivers bad enough they are advertising they do,they have never been a company to do that.
Old 11-06-2016, 10:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HaulinBass View Post
That was his point, they need drivers bad enough they are advertising they do,they have never been a company to do that.
Didn't they do the same thing last year as well?
Old 11-06-2016, 10:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HaulinBass View Post
Times are difficult to everyone, particularly those that had a big team (not only drivers but support and R&D, which are expensive). As you see nowadays, it's better to have a good driver winning with a meh car than a good car that makes anyone look good(team K old days).

Why? It's faster for a good driver to extract performance from any platform, as the car is "improved" there will be placebos to sell at a premium or magic setups so we can be distracted from the real issues. Sponsor a couple of average joes to relay same info as the main driver and voila, you just got rid of 75% of what makes a team great and associated expense. Like F1, the real improvements are what the engineers can improve, not a driver being better all of the sudden or driver feedback. Knowing what to do and how to do it costs lots of money.

Either way team K needs new drivers, Tebo is busy being a father(but still a great driver), King didn't make the Worlds A and that's it. Also, Kanai-san and the team lost focus, development is stagnant and they let other teams catch up. HB is doing things right as is Mugen/AE/TLR sort of are too. Could be better but that's about the machine behind a driver.

So... yeah. Drivers will try to jump to a team that looks better on the results, if the new blood will replace old foxes that is to be seen and to me the most interesting part.
Old 11-07-2016, 02:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

"Sponsor a couple of average joes to relay same info as the main driver and voila, you just got rid of 75% of what makes a team great and associated expense."

LoL too funny!

I told JQ he needs to hire himself someone like Maifield, Cavalieri or one of the greats. Someone that'll put his car on the podium and in the winner's circle. Then his product will really take off. Like the point you're making, the fastest way to get your car to go fast is with a fast driver. Conversely, slow driver, slow car. JQ's WE LV could be a world champ in the right hands. I'm not making a bona fide statement that the car is slow, just that a fast driver can unleash its full potential
Old 11-07-2016, 04:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

We see it here all the time with the low grade brands sponsoring a small pocket here and there, trying to get a piece of the cake. Then fade away after a couple of years. The better way to do it would be to make drivers gravitate to your brand, instead of wearing down a good driver(s) when he knows the car can't improve and is holding him back. JQ took care of car development/PR, Degani is a good companion to JQ and the team has young guns but not A-Main caliber like Davide Ongaro. That would happen sooner if THE Car was in A Mains consistently.
Same with team K, they don't need driver resumes, they would need scouts to search talented kids like Ronnefalk, Tessman, Rivkin, Phend, etc... like all team sports do.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

30Tooth
Totally agree. Very well put.
E
Old 11-30-2016, 06:40 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Here are a few of my silly season thoughts/predictions.

Maifield stays at TLR. He is too valuable for them to let get away. Without him they have one A-main caliber 8th scale guy in Phend. Phend on a good day is as fast as anyone out there but he has shown to be to inconsistent to be a podium threat at every single race. TLR/Horizon needs Maifield he is their team right now.

Is this the year that Tebo and Kyosho part ways? Wouldn't surprise me either way. His 10th 2wd WC in 2013 is ancient history now and while he has had some big wins there hasn't been anything on the level of that WC. So part of me thinks they both would like to explore options. But like Maifield and TLR, a Tebo-less Kyosho is not much of a US team. Leaves only King and he seems to focus 8th much more than 10th. Tebo excels at both.

The major Mugen signing? Some have said Maifield and that just doesn't add up to me. They have no 10th scale line up and I don't see Maifield doing the Mugen/Yokomo thing. Ryan Lutz to Mugen? Makes a lot of sense to me. Lutz doesn't do 10th scale so not having a 10th lineup is a non issue. And IMO while the Tekno buggy can be really fast they handle more aggressively vs other major brands. Just my .02 but the Tekno buggy has held Lutz back some, and a switch to a more stable car could be what he needs to deliver the major wins he has shown to be capable of. Plus Lutz is a face of the company guy and combined with Drake, Truhe and Ogden would give you a first class US pro team.

HB? I really see HB making a major addition to their North American team. Just judging on how Team Orion is run. Their pro team on electronics might as well be the dream team. Maifield, Cav, Tebo, Tessman, Ronnefalk, Phend... on and on. Based on that it doesn't seem a stretch that they would want to have someone in North America to compliment Tessmann. They've got a full line up of race worth cars, the Orion electronics package and the Orion nitro engine line up has proven to be as good as any. HB is a sleeping giant.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Tebo is staying with Kyosho. He's been posting pics on his social medial of getting new parts and cars ready for 2017. I still say the Mugen driver will be Maifield. He can run another brand 1/10 like Lee Martin did with Mugen and Yokomo. Maybe Losi decided that they wanted to go a different direction as far as who they have representing their brand...

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service