Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Having a hard time deciding... Nitro Off Road or Electric Heli >

Having a hard time deciding... Nitro Off Road or Electric Heli

Having a hard time deciding... Nitro Off Road or Electric Heli

Old 09-26-2016, 11:54 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Having a hard time deciding... Nitro Off Road or Electric Heli

I recently came across some cash and was in the order of looking for a new RC toy. It was between a nice 3D electric heli or a nitro off road buggy (1/8). Im having such a hard time deciding (LOL first world problems). Any opinions to sway me one way or the other? Generally, Im not a big fan of aimless RC driving, but rather stuff like tinkering, racing, and various competetive events (Didn't know where to post this so I put it in Nitro Off Road )
Old 09-26-2016, 12:04 PM
Tech Champion

Have you ever crashed a large copter? Confetti. Expensive carbon confetti, not cheap balsa framed airplane kind.

Planes and cars for me, no more helo's.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:08 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post
Have you ever crashed a large copter? Confetti. Expensive carbon confetti, not cheap balsa framed airplane kind.

Planes and cars for me, no more helo's.
I know this is asking for disaster but I have never flown a real heli, just simulators.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Get both
Old 09-26-2016, 01:59 PM
Tech Rookie

Im starting to lean more towards the buggy as I realize just how nervous I would be fling the chopper. I would literally be too scared to ruin it to have fun.
Old 09-26-2016, 03:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

No matter how deep your pockets, either one could leave them empty given enough time.

RC+$=-$
Old 09-26-2016, 09:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Get a 450 size heli... if you know how to hover on the sim, you are golden. You will spend a lot more money into a car vs a heli. Cars are money pits. Take it from someone thats been doing both for many years. But cars are a lot more fun. No better choice than a trex 450 for a newbie, for value and quality and parts support. Setup will be your biggest challenge with a heli
Old 09-26-2016, 09:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Do you want to spend 8 hours at the track for maybe an hour of track time or do you want to go fly for a hour and go home?
Old 09-27-2016, 10:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally Posted by YANMAN View Post
Do you want to spend 8 hours at the track for maybe an hour of track time or do you want to go fly for a hour and go home?
Lol...classic, You are guaranteed to spend some coin at the track. If you crash a heli,you are done for the day
Old 09-28-2016, 12:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

I have both... I've had a few different helis and got to the point where i could do some mild 3d but got bored of spending so much time on the Sim trying to learn stuff.
When I fly them irl the concentration level and tenseness (is that a word ) is crazy because I know if I put it into the ground-the amount of time and money I have to outlay is so much.

I feel the cost and time you put in vs the enjoyment you get out of it is a lot greater with a nitro buggy.
I guess for me it's the competitive side of racing too!

So I have a very expensive 550 size heli sitting on the shelf looking pretty while I prep my cars for the next race meet haha
Old 10-26-2016, 01:28 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Wrong place to ask that question. Can't see too many people here recommending the Heli over a Buggy.
Old 10-26-2016, 02:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Logo 600 all the way! Go with mikado v bar and a good esc. Biggest thing with helix is don't cheap out. Also, I don't recommend lower than a 600 size. Just don't fly as well in my opinion! I was STUPID heavy into 3D flying for 10 years but now I'm rc only due to lack of flying space.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Ok first start and think, if you crash a car you might break something, if you crash your heli you are almost assured of breaking something... Next, even if you are good at flying a 3D heli and can make it go upside down, what are you going to do cut your grass with it? We had a heli club in Vietnam and a bunch of guys started flying together, sounded cool right?? Well watch two of them collide in mid air then see how fun it is, watch a crash result in a punctured lipo battery and watch your $300-$600 or more heli burst into flames before you can get to it. Then if you lose control, what about the danger in it, I mean yes a nitro car can mess someone up and kill them too but a rotor with blades........ Also with a car as you said you can go to tracks, races, even hang out with friends or chase the neighborhood stray dog with it...
Old 10-27-2016, 08:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dankasm View Post
I recently came across some cash and was in the order of looking for a new RC toy. It was between a nice 3D electric heli or a nitro off road buggy (1/8). Im having such a hard time deciding (LOL first world problems). Any opinions to sway me one way or the other? Generally, Im not a big fan of aimless RC driving, but rather stuff like tinkering, racing, and various competetive events (Didn't know where to post this so I put it in Nitro Off Road )
Hi, You want an honest opinion about flying remote control helicopters. They are very hard to fly period. You need a good computer helicopter radio control and a dependable nitro RC glow engine and of course you will need a good helicopter to start with. A RC helicopter glow engine can be as expensive or more depending on the size and power requirements. It takes a lot more attention to fly RC helicopters. They require constant input of controls while a car doesn't allways need it. You also need a gyro for the tail rotor to stabilize it. Just like an rc car the helicopter will respond to your controls while it flying away from you but when it comes back at you its reversed and if you go inverted your controls for up and down are also reversed. Some things to think about before you spend the money. Michael