Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The future of Rc..not so bright??

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 01:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I began RC racing in 1983. Speaking on the current state of the RC racing community, I think more people are taking it way too seriously and making it 'work' almost by trying to be the next factory sponsored driver. Sponsorship is great, but make sure to not make your vacation your vocation.
Old 06-19-2016, 01:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Great Planes and Horizon have lost stores left and right in the past 5-years. I know that to be the truth. No matter what you're doing in this hobby, it's being done with disposable income. In many areas of our country, the economy isn't peachy that we often hear. This hobby, regardless of the type of RC, is in general followed by blue-collar type of individuals. The only sales that's actually booming is anything to do with guns.
Old 06-19-2016, 02:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

if you think the hobby is big now you should have been racing in the late 2000s before the economy collapsed.
i actually just got back in this year after about eight years away, in that time skateboarding and snowboarding also took a massive hit. instead of buying all top of the line stuff brand new this time i started buying used and found some killer deals(thanks to the burges' and the tessmans). started buying up tires and wheels as well as parts from places that had them on clearance.
im more worried about keeping my car on its wheels and not losing time than gaining a few tenths by spending so much time money and effort chasing whats perfect.
in the end its what you make of it, myself im racing with some good people and making new friends
Old 06-19-2016, 03:30 PM
Tech Master

The current state of the economy has a big effect on RC too. Rent is getting too high, unreasonable landowners, and corrupt government entities are putting RC racing on the endangered list. I like competition, bettering myself/car against the clock/racers, and racing gives me that. If the racing program ended where I go to, I'll probably quit. Sure, RC will still keep going with the RTR bashers, but competition is where it is at.
Just look at all the tracks popping up in Asia these days. The tides are shifting...
Old 06-19-2016, 03:33 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Kibble
I am extremely sad to see this hobby going in the wrong direction.I don't know what is going on in the US but I'm sure there should be a trend worldwide.I've seen many people quit due to not being able to cope with the expenses.tyres,fuel,motors etc..Pretty much everything is super expensive and the only thing to blame is the size of the market, at least in my opinion.In case we are facing a declining market that means that prices will start climbing until nobody can cope with the hobby.I do not have any statistics on what I have mentioned above and would be interested to hear your opinion on this.
We have been around this hobby for a long time and I can say that years ago we didn't attend to many races that had 100 or more entries. So far this summer I think every race we have been to had more than 100 and attended one with 365 here in the MidWest a couple weeks ago.
Prices seem lower now with all the competition especially with engines.$200.00 will buy you one that will compete with anyone.
Cars that is another thing, almost all the manufacturers offer just about anyone a 50% deal. eBay has guys parting out kits left and right selling them below hobby shop prices.
Tires just look around and buy a good all around tire any brand will do.
Fuel has many suppliers selling good quality fuel shipped around $30.00 mark.
Racing RC cars is the cheapest form of fuel racing period.
I am attempting to get you to look at it from another point of view. Is it cheap? Nope but it is an awesome form of racing to be a part of and clearly the least expensive.
Old 06-19-2016, 11:09 PM
Tech Champion

That's a good point. The recent development in engine prices with Novarossidirect for ex.especially is a big plus.

Now you need something similar to happen with tires.

That would be a good step in the right direction.

But even then racing would still be too up-tight and wannabe' professional for my taste. When I used to go to a race, after pulling into the parking lot and seeing it full of motor homes/RC-garges, and see everyone madly disassembling and reassembling their cars between 5-minute qualifying heats, I was always insecure that I should be doing that too. But, in addition to not caring all that much + a touch of laziness, I just couldn't understand how anybody could even get a feeling for how anything drives in five minutes(unless it was WAY off, but that wasn't what was going on..) Anyway, over the years I came to see that most of that was all nonsense. Show up with a halfway prepared car with a rough set-up and just change tires and maybe one or two other minor settings on the fly. As it is though the pits are full of people furiously wrenching as if doing so will make them like a pro, then they go drive and crash into things. If people weren't so hellbent on being like a pro and doing what they assume they have to do(endless wrenching, spending thousands and thousands, etc..) the atmosphere around racing might be more congenial and relaxed, and I might like it more. As it is I can't be asked - not given what it costs in time and money.

So I have 8-9 8th scale RC's plus a mountain of spare parts, several extra engines, new and used, pipes, clutches, all kinds of stuff.., just sitting around, because I'm not going to give them away. Or sell them for peanuts to some annoying adolescent on FB..
Old 06-20-2016, 03:34 AM
Tech Champion

I call this bullshit.

Racing R/C has never been so cheap and easy. Buy used, make deals, crash less, have fun and get over it.

I used to be in the situation where I only used the money I gained by making deals to race. Didn't need the very last car, didn't care about parts being new, made friends, shared stuff and this is it. Furthermore I had great results in races.

The limits are in your head.. if you're passionnate you'll make it happen whatever it takes.
Old 06-20-2016, 04:57 AM
Tech Champion

The culture of racing though is to throw ever increasing amounts of money at it. Yeah you can swim against the stream, but that can become annoying over time.. A hobby needn't always be a passion.. Sometimes you just want to have fun with your toy car.
Old 06-20-2016, 05:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pulse_

Racing R/C has never been so cheap and easy. Buy used, make deals, crash less, have fun and get over it.
This is true. It can be expensive but it doesn't have to be. I know a bunch of indoor electric guys that got into 1/8 nitro that way. Used chassis, used engine, used starter box, etc........ If you've already got the electronics you could build a race worthy buggy for a fraction of what it would cost to get a new kit. If you really want to do it cheap make friends with the sponsored guys at the track that toss their tires out with 90% of the tread left lol
Old 06-20-2016, 06:03 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 123 (97%+)

The true issue with RC racing now is that everyone has the perception that they will be a national level sponsored driver within 3 months of participating in races for the first time ever.

i attended a club race yesterday at an off road track that is far from the current "smooth ridiculous bite" type tracks. Now this club has been in existance in a public park for over 30 years...there were 10 heats of racers having a great time.

the day prior i stopped in at a top level nitro race on a super layout, a bit dusty, but had all the top guns there and they were having a blast with no complaints....

racing is what you make of it, this is a hobby, so enjoy your day out, and be thankful we have places to run....
Old 06-20-2016, 11:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I blame the current trend in track surfaces for the current status of the hobby...

When you have a soft , loamy , soil based dirt style track the average rtr engine , clutch and pipe is more than enough to overpower the track. The simple knobby tires last a long long time . The speeds are slower and the racing is closer . The cars and parts last longer because of the lack of G forces being applied to them .

When you up the traction level 2, 3, and 4 times over things change...

Now , the track can take stronger engines . guys that want to be fast will buy them , then others follow suit .

The high grip surface is harder on tires , so to stay fast you have to be on fresh rubber .

The higher speed corners take more effort to steer the car , enter high output servos .

Because speeds are up , features become larger with less room for error . Now you start getting the types of crashes that require spare parts on hand .

You want to make attendance grow at your local track ? Want to see costs go down ? Till up that hard packed clay touring car track with dust and jumps and get back to the roots.

Another place this hobby suffers is the pits . I can build a nice car that's faster than I am for under $500.00. But if I do that , I gotta listen to all the BS that comes with it .... you gotta buy this , buy that , that's junk, blah blah blah . Im old , and I know opinions don't matter much to me . But if I were a teen and all I heard was how junky my gear was , I would be wanting the latest and greatest too.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:44 PM
Tech Addict

I've been racing for almost 30 years now as well as some that have posted already. To me this is a hobby and is not to be taken too seriously. Don't get me wrong I always want to win but if I don't and normally I don't I have a great time with my friends. A track day for me is a day that I really don't think of anything else but the race so I really enjoy it. If one considers what an RC10 way back in the late 80's early 90's cost compared to today’s RC10B5 or most other buggies the price is not that bad considering the kits today are so good and don't need all the mods they once needed. In nitro is the same, most of the cars now are awesome right from the box so they really don't need most of the stuff some consider as necessities. Tracks that are going the hard as asphalt route can have good sides as well as bad sides. The good is that maintenance is reduced but the wear on equipment is much more. The main thing here is that we the racers have to know the point where the spending has to stop. I put a budget for parts, racing and all things related to RC every month. If I have to go over the set budget this month I take that out of next month budget. It is not always easy but that's the only way to control myself.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

What killed racing for me was doing it too often, getting sucked into the sponsorship game all while "keeping up with the joneses" in regards to having the latest and greatest. 3-8 years ago I was racing pretty much every weekend, sometimes multiple times a week. This year I've walked away from all sponsors and dialed back racing to once a month. I can honestly say I'm enjoying the hobby much more regardless if I come in first or dead last.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:07 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nv529
What killed racing for me was doing it too often, getting sucked into the sponsorship game all while "keeping up with the joneses" in the regards to having the latest and greatest. 3-8 years ago I was racing pretty much every weekend, sometimes multiple times a week. This year I've walked away from all sponsors and dialed back racing to once a month. I can honestly say I'm enjoying the hobby much more regardless if I come in first or dead last.
ME too.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Socket
ME too.
RC was my primary hobby for many years. I've recently got back into dirt bikes (woods and dune riding) after a 13 yr break, along with cross country mountain biking. I think I've finally realized it's not good to put all of my eggs in one basket and that I need to branch out to other hobbies to keep myself from burning out. I don't ever see myself getting out of RC, but I don't think I'll be throwing thousands of dollars at it per year like in the past.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.