Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
The future of Rc..not so bright?? >

The future of Rc..not so bright??

The future of Rc..not so bright??

Old 06-19-2016, 10:50 AM
Tech Adept

Default The future of Rc..not so bright??

I am extremely sad to see this hobby going in the wrong direction.I don't know what is going on in the US but I'm sure there should be a trend worldwide.I've seen many people quit due to not being able to cope with the expenses.tyres,fuel,motors etc..Pretty much everything is super expensive and the only thing to blame is the size of the market, at least in my opinion.In case we are facing a declining market that means that prices will start climbing until nobody can cope with the hobby.I do not have any statistics on what I have mentioned above and would be interested to hear your opinion on this.
Old 06-19-2016, 11:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The hobby is what you make it. You do not have to dump thousands of dollars into it to enjoy it. I have 30 something R/C vehicles, 1/24th to 1/8th, crawlers, race buggies, trucks and truggies, pan cars and touring cars, quad copters, bashers and racers, nitro and electric.

An RTR crawler and a playground or parking lot can equal hours of fun without high dollar investment. Anybody that thinks you have to spend a boat load of money to buy the best 1/8 nitro race buggy kit to have fun is not gonna enjoy it. Nitro itself can be a huge downfall to the hobby. The sound and smoke may attract people to the hobby initially but the maintenance and tuning might turn them away. Also hobbyists need to be ambassadors. If you are out bashing and a group comes up to you showing interest in the hobby YOU are responsible for pointing them in the right direction that will keep them interested. Also racers need to lose the chip on their shoulders. How many racers have you seen that decide they dont want to help a new racer, or even give bad advice? Experienced racers need to be mentors.
Old 06-19-2016, 11:29 AM
Tech Adept

I know what you are saying, my fault,I meant racing especially 1/8 nitro.
Old 06-19-2016, 11:33 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I am a victim of spending a lot on this hobby. Is it too much, not sure i still have fun.

I am a cheap guy, I was bummed when track fees went up from 12 to 15 bucks a driver. Then I started thinking were else can I get hours of entertainment for such little money.
Old 06-19-2016, 11:44 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by uh60 View Post
I am a victim of spending a lot on this hobby. Is it too much, not sure i still have fun.

I am a cheap guy, I was bummed when track fees went up from 12 to 15 bucks a driver. Then I started thinking were else can I get hours of entertainment for such little money.
I don't think that anybody who's worried about their expenses is thinking track fees.
Old 06-19-2016, 11:52 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kibble View Post
I am extremely sad to see this hobby going in the wrong direction.I don't know what is going on in the US but I'm sure there should be a trend worldwide.I've seen many people quit due to not being able to cope with the expenses.tyres,fuel,motors etc..Pretty much everything is super expensive and the only thing to blame is the size of the market, at least in my opinion.In case we are facing a declining market that means that prices will start climbing until nobody can cope with the hobby.I do not have any statistics on what I have mentioned above and would be interested to hear your opinion on this.
Get over yourself. This hobby is growing any way you look at it. There are more quality brands at an all time low cost than ever before.
Old 06-19-2016, 11:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kibble View Post
I know what you are saying, my fault,I meant racing especially 1/8 nitro.
What I said applies to racing as well. We have one guy that comes to our track every friday to race. Older gentleman. Everybody loves seeing him, he is a great guy. Never screams, never gets upset. Marshals like a champion, always comes to help during track changes. Absolutely a great guy. He rarely ever makes the A. He won a B main once and everybody in the place roared, almost blew the roof off the place. But he always has a smile on his face. He doesn't have to win. He is happy first in the B or last in the A. He is just happy to be out racing. Same with me. I would rather BATTLE for 5th place with a good friend than to be 3 laps ahead in the lead. Poor attitudes are spoiling the hobby. Sore losers, driver stand tough guys and "elitists" are spoiling the hobby.

The key is for all other racers to stop this poor behavior. I remember one race I was at where we had one guy who had a really bad attitude. Yelled at marshals and other drivers, both while driving and marshaling, foul language, smashing his car into the wall when he got a bad marshal and cost him the win, the whole 9. I was at a point where I was gonna try to convince all the drivers in his main to not put their cars down for that race. It wouldn't have solved his issues, but maybe he would have thought about his actions.

It is a hobby, it is for fun. The minute that the fun is taken away from your hobby is the minute you should take yourself out of the hobby. No matter if its R/C cars, bicycling, cars or motorcycling.
Old 06-19-2016, 12:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Get over yourself. This hobby is growing any way you look at it. There are more quality brands at an all time low cost than ever before.

It's not the expense of the kits that's hurting the hobby. It's the expense of tires, fuel, race fees, spare parts etc etc etc that's Thats hurting. It's ridiculous of some the fees of the big races too, examples dnc and SS. Even the smaller races. If you show up at a race and run 2 or 3 different classes it gets very expensive
Old 06-19-2016, 12:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I agree with the poor attitudes want a be tough guys at the tracks too who think there ish don't stink. Many pros have that attitude too and they of all people should no better. Doesn't help the hobby/sport what so ever.
Old 06-19-2016, 12:32 PM
Tech Adept

Replying 'Get over yourself' shows bad attitude.Bad attitude is not part of a growing hobby.
Old 06-19-2016, 01:09 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by rcmoe View Post
It's not the expense of the kits that's hurting the hobby. It's the expense of tires, fuel, race fees, spare parts etc etc etc that's Thats hurting. It's ridiculous of some the fees of the big races too, examples dnc and SS. Even the smaller races. If you show up at a race and run 2 or 3 different classes it gets very expensive
But DNC racers and hardcore two times a week racers aren't the ones paying the bills.

What if I told you that less than 1% of all RC's sold are actual race cars, and even less are nitro 1/8th scales with the intention of racing large events?

The reality is, RC couldn't be bigger than ever. Sure, maybe racing isn't growing at the same pace, but there's a reason Traxxas can support several trophy truck teams and own several semi trucks.
Old 06-19-2016, 01:11 PM
Tech Champion

Problem is that todays youngsters comming from many years game console experiance are thinking too competive and want to buy the best of the best.

On the track they will be disappointed with the bad performances and buy more expensive stuff because they never think it is their driving and setup knowledge.

Common sense and a bit of diy seems to be gone.
Looking at onroad the tires are trued down a lot before they ever touch the track, 10 to 15 minutes driving of this black gold is thrown away as it is nothing. 600 dollar engines are used by drivers who are 2 seconds a lap away of the top drivers, even avarage drivers with 200 dollar engines are driving faster....

And who make them think this way... we!
Old 06-19-2016, 01:13 PM
Suspended

Think back 15 years....

No quads, barely any "RTF" planes, and literally what, 3-4 OEM's for cars?

Now look, RC is a BILLION dollar industry, with TONS of outside money coming in, and new OEM's literally every week. The industry is so big now, the government is getting involved in quad regulation.

Everyone and their brother has a car, quad or plane.

This is why I told you, get over yourself, take off your blinders and look at the big picture. The RC world is HUGE.
Old 06-19-2016, 01:42 PM
Tech Adept

Think back 15 years....

No quads, barely any "RTF" planes, and literally what, 3-4 OEM's for cars?

Now look, RC is a BILLION dollar industry, with TONS of outside money coming in, and new OEM's literally every week. The industry is so big now, the government is getting involved in quad regulation.

Everyone and their brother has a car, quad or plane.

This is why I told you, get over yourself, take off your blinders and look at the big picture. The RC world is HUGE.
Please let me clarify once again,I understand that quads are selling like crazy and will take over the world but nitro racing is my hobby and no other RC related hobby is as expensive as nitro racing,onroad or off road.I do not understand why tyres and fuel is so expensive and my only assumption is that they are selling to a small market.They need to make up of their investment in machinery etc..the tyre's compound should be expensive as no other motorsport abuses tyres in that way, but not so expensive.it is ridiculous.Now based on my assumption that it is a small market, if it gets smaller prices will go up.I earn a good salary but I do not think it's right to spend all this money on my hobby.
Then I express my thoughts to the forum and people think that I'm spending more money than I should.No, I'm not it's just that prices are ridiculous, period.
Old 06-19-2016, 01:48 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by 1/4milecrazy View Post
The hobby is what you make it. You do not have to dump thousands of dollars into it to enjoy it. I have 30 something R/C vehicles, 1/24th to 1/8th, crawlers, race buggies, trucks and truggies, pan cars and touring cars, quad copters, bashers and racers, nitro and electric.

An RTR crawler and a playground or parking lot can equal hours of fun without high dollar investment. Anybody that thinks you have to spend a boat load of money to buy the best 1/8 nitro race buggy kit to have fun is not gonna enjoy it. Nitro itself can be a huge downfall to the hobby. The sound and smoke may attract people to the hobby initially but the maintenance and tuning might turn them away. Also hobbyists need to be ambassadors. If you are out bashing and a group comes up to you showing interest in the hobby YOU are responsible for pointing them in the right direction that will keep them interested. Also racers need to lose the chip on their shoulders. How many racers have you seen that decide they dont want to help a new racer, or even give bad advice? Experienced racers need to be mentors.

No offense, but I disagree with most of that. It's too simplistic to say "racing is what you make of it". The reality is you spend $1500 on your gear, and when you constantly go to races and are surrrounded by guys who spent twice that - the guys with a spare kit under the table, 20 sets of NIP tires, a spare OS Speed, and on and on, you'd have to have an incredibly thick skin to not feel some pressure at some point to spend more to keep up. No, you don't have to, strictly speaking. But the pressure is built in to the hobby.

IMHO it's largely due to the racers themselves. Constantly striving to be like a pro, when so SOOOOO much of it is nonsense. The average club racer doesn't need a modded Speed and shouldn't need a second kit. But the push is always there.

Seven or eight years ago racing was much more.......... egalitarian. You could buy a Go motorbox and show up to race and not feel woefully underequipped. Now everything is über hyper uptight, with pages upon pages of forum threads talking about fractions of mm and whether 7-10-3 is betteror 7-10-2.5. Or whatever..

Moving on, nitro is not a problem. Nitro rules. Electric racing is so boring it's like a dissonant tear in the fabric of the universe. It's watching-paint-dry boring and silent, and still costs a ton. It has all the atmosphere of cleaning your room as opposed to the rock concert of a nitro heat.

And no, I don't have to be an ambassador for anything. The hobby is money and time intensive enough. Most people can barely keep up. I couldn't, on both counts, which is why I'm out of it..

Oh yeah, and one more thing - racers' constant hungering after whatever's new new new leads to the very ugly aspect of RC which is that nothing has resale value, as a buggy is perceived as "oudated" sometimes after less than a year on the market. I saw a used RC8T with Novarossi engine and decent servos in top condition go for a 150 bucks recently. But the simplistic idea persists that equipment is what wins, as if it's nearly as important as the driver and setter-upper.

I love nitro, and after MT's died out, I got involved in racing just to keep running nitro, mostly. The rest of racing is way too boring (1mm or 1.1mm?.., 30 wt in the shocks or a mix of 27.5 and 30?..) and up-tight. And in the last years the price has definitely gone up steeply. If numbers are shrinking it should be no surprise to anyone afaic.

It also just takes way too much time. Having to show up on Friday afternoon and leaving Sunday evening is just not in the cards for most adults.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.