Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MBX5

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 01:37 PM
Tech Regular

My expecrience with the rear hub carrier adjustment is just the opposite of what you said SebsCustom. When I attach the hub carrier to the arm in the bottom hole the car has less forward and side bite. When it's mounted in the top hole the car has more forward bite and side bite. I run mine in the top hole all the time unless I need more steering. I originally ran my hub carrier in the bottom hole. When our track was blown out and dusty I was told by a Mugen Japan sponsored driver to change it to get more traction. Now it just feels right in that position.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:46 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by kmorast
My expecrience with the rear hub carrier adjustment is just the opposite of what you said SebsCustom. When I attach the hub carrier to the arm in the bottom hole the car has less forward and side bite. When it's mounted in the top hole the car has more forward bite and side bite. I run mine in the top hole all the time unless I need more steering. I originally ran my hub carrier in the bottom hole. When our track was blown out and dusty I was told by a Mugen Japan sponsored driver to change it to get more traction. Now it just feels right in that position.
+1
Old 02-02-2007, 04:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 147 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kmorast
+2
Old 02-02-2007, 05:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I guess i should drop mine down a hole then because i have too much steering and not enough rear traction at the moment.

I can see now how it would lower the rear RC. By making the top camber link at less of an angle.

Thanks guys You have been very helpfull.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:22 PM
Tech Adept

You guys are correct, most (good\better) drivers use the second hole.

The problem that I found with the bottom most hole was that it had the grip up to a certain point and past that it would break loose and it was a handful to recover no to mention slow around the track if that happened.

PS: I run mine in the second hole (upper one)
Old 02-02-2007, 07:24 PM
Tech Adept

Here is a question for all Mugen buggy owners:

How much does your buggy weigh? (no fuel, everything else reace ready)
Old 02-02-2007, 07:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

[QUOTE=Mugen 5r]I have put the 1.5mm spacers under the top arm blocks already.

What did that do for you? Thanks Just wanted your opinion
Old 02-03-2007, 04:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default rear hubs , position

hi , iv read every thing you guys have said and will be trying the upper hole to see the results , but i more agree with ryan barnes , when you use the lower hole , you are lowering the chassis, ie centre of grav , ? so there would be more weight over the rear end , and every set up iv looked at is lower hole , even scott h ,mbx5r worlds 2006 set up ,

oh , on his set up sheet for the worlds , scott hughes did not say what track width he run , and he run xtr bow ties which or not out yet , but he is a manager at proline ,

mike ,
Old 02-03-2007, 09:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by keyesgood
hi , iv read every thing you guys have said and will be trying the upper hole to see the results , but i more agree with ryan barnes , when you use the lower hole , you are lowering the chassis, ie centre of grav , ?
Uhhh...you can do THAT (lower CG) by lowering the ride height with shock clips.

Changing the outer pin location might raise or lower the chassis, depending on which way you go. Assuming that you go do the same ride height (for a given track), what you really changed is the roll center.

I'm not sure about some of the conventions (terms) used for it in this application, but you are lengthening the instant center distance (theoretical intersection point of the arms) and giving the chassis less leverage to roll/transfer weight (traction). I know some about this stuff from 1:1 cars, but there are several good RC chassis tuning sites that have great animations to explain it.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:11 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Turbo Joe
Uhhh...you can do THAT (lower CG) by lowering the ride height with shock clips.

Changing the outer pin location might raise or lower the chassis, depending on which way you go. Assuming that you go do the same ride height (for a given track), what you really changed is the roll center.

I'm not sure about some of the conventions (terms) used for it in this application, but you are lengthening the instant center distance (theoretical intersection point of the arms) and giving the chassis less leverage to roll/transfer weight (traction). I know some about this stuff from 1:1 cars, but there are several good RC chassis tuning sites that have great animations to explain it.
You are right as far as i know all you will change is the instant centre if you lower the buggy, to change the centre of gravity you will have to change the weight distribution .
Old 02-03-2007, 12:58 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by gasman517
You are right as far as i know all you will change is the instant centre if you lower the buggy, to change the centre of gravity you will have to change the weight distribution .
Sorta...if you lower the center of mass (the chassis), by definition you lower the CG. The instant center (of gravity) is more a theoretical construct that illustrates the chassis leverage points.

If you lower the chassis, you move the instant center as well, but it's the relationship between the center of gravity and the instant center that really matters.

When you mess with anti-squat and kickup, you're messing with the fore-aft instant center vs. CG to add/subtract forward bite. When you play with arm/link pivot angles, you mess with the roll center...which is the CG vs. the ("lateral" or side/side) instant center for adjust roll/side bite. It's all about leverage, either way.
Old 02-03-2007, 02:45 PM
Tech Master

I think what Turbo etc are saying is ......

Given that your going to need to maintain your ride height, after moving the pin location on the hub you'll then raise the chassis back up to where it was before to get the correct ride height !!

Now all your left with is a roll center alteration to your car ???

Which is the way i see it too

I think the guys have done a really good job of explaining this, but if your still having trouble i know the XXXmain set-up book covers it
Old 02-03-2007, 05:17 PM
Tech Elite

Old 02-03-2007, 06:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default mbx5r ,

iv got the xxx main book , im trying to work out what you all are saying , so if i use the upper hole in the hub it will give me more roll , thus more traction , is this what your saying ,

thanks ,

mike ,
Old 02-03-2007, 07:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Yes Mike i think that's exactly what they are saying.

Am i also correct in thinking that you could also lower the inside of the rear lower arm by using a rear tow in block with -1 squat and the lowest anti squat spacer ? So you still maintain the 2deg anti squat but the inside of the lower arm is now in a lower position ?

That would also lower roll centre too wouldn't it ? BUT, in this case it would RAISE the centre of gravity a tiny bit yes ? So its probably not a desirable thing to do is it ?

I am just trying to explore every available and possible adjustment.And get an understanding of what it all dose.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.