Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looking for some help

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 07:35 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Looking for some help

My 12 year old son wants a nitro car/truck for his birthday. I have no experiance in nitro vehicals and he doesnt either. Any suggestion on a good starter kit would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:25 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Nitro might not be the best place to start if you have never had an rc car before. If you are just completely new to the hobby then look at the 1/10 electric short course trucks. If you are completely set on nitro then take a look at the Traxxas rustler or the kyosho dbx 2.0
Old 04-04-2016, 12:24 PM
Tech Elite

Get a Traxxas to start. There is a learning curve to this.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Traxxas is a great place to start for a beginner.....their target demographic is the "basher", or general enthusiast.

They offer some vehicles with different power systems for the more hardcore hobbyists that like lots of power, or like to modify their vehicles. Parts are readily available just about everywhere, and there is TONS of aftermarket support.

If you've never had a nitro vehicle, the Traxxas nitro engine will make you pull your hair out. Some folks will disagree, but anyone with a hint of nitro experience will agree that they just aren't that good.

Start with an electric vehicle (Slash or Slash 4x4 if you want a Short Course Truck), Rustler or Bandit if you want a 2WD buggy, E-Maxx or E-Revo if you want a "monster truck). Once you get experience with the "hobby grade" RC's, you can transition to nitro as you gain more experience.

The best way to get into nitro is to get with someone at your local hobby shop, or track (assuming there's one locally where you'll go to play), and have them coach you as you start. Get a decent budget motor (i.e. something in the $150-ish range), that will be MUCH easier to tune and keep running than a Traxxas 3.3, and just plan on it not lasting long as you learn how to tune.......most folks won't get the knack of tuning right away, so you don't want to ruin a really good engine by tuning poorly.

What part of the country are you in? Depending on where you are, I might know some folks in the area that I can point you towards.