Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Yeller (Hyper .21 8 port)

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 10:58 AM
Tech Adept

Default Old Yeller (Hyper .21 8 port)

well here's the situation..... out of all the engines that I have had this was my favorite one.... I have had this engine for over 12 plus years...... I got this bad boy for a $120 I had suspected that I had got sand in it one day at a track that I had went to ...... it was awesome they had the biggest Jumps that I had ever seen in my life at that time.... I will never forget that day ..... well as time went on I noticed that my baby wasn't stepping with that pep like to use to it was a number of things going on but I really could pinpoint them..... well I gave my truck I total overhaul and now it's the engine turn..... I don't know if all the pictures that I am trying to post is up there so I ask that you all be patient with me...... they are coming.... Opinion A : should I get the sleeve 're pinched ? Opinion B: New piston and sleeve ( $ 100) Option C : Pinch it myself with a pinching tool ($ 25) buying the same new engine ($200) No !!!!! I don't know if I have to buy new bearings yet.....what do you guys think I should do here ? I am putting the pictures up so you guys can see damage has taken place in the engine
Attached Thumbnails Old Yeller (Hyper .21 8 port)-1424974760979.jpg   Old Yeller (Hyper .21 8 port)-1424974654034.jpg   Old Yeller (Hyper .21 8 port)-20150226_104327.jpg   Old Yeller (Hyper .21 8 port)-1424974564914.jpg   Old Yeller (Hyper .21 8 port)-20150226_104244.jpg  

Last edited by swerv; 02-26-2015 at 11:18 AM.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

My first thing I would say is if you like the engine, then purchase a brand new Hyper engine with less hassle of a rebuild but in this case we no longer have the complete engine in stock, however we have all the rebuild parts for the engine to bring it back to life. The piston/sleeve/rod combo is already set and no need to hassle with wrist pin and the clips on part number 53027, you also need the front and rear bearings for a solid rebuild. The other thing to check is the journal on the crankshaft, from looking at the pics of the sand I can't really say how long the sand was running in the engine but if it was a long period then that needs change also, it's a pretty penny to rebuild but if the engine has been a good runner then go for it.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:07 PM

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

That was the engine and pipe I started with in 1/8 scale about ten years ago! I've said for years that for a 'budget' engine, there is none that are better!

If it were me, I'd just buy a new one. Once they suck dirt, all of the wear and problems can't be seen with the naked eye normally. So spending the money to rebuild it might end up backfiring on you (no pun intended).

Just my opinion though....

Brad
Old 02-26-2015, 01:25 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by -R2-
My first thing I would say is if you like the engine, then purchase a brand new Hyper engine with less hassle of a rebuild but in this case we no longer have the complete engine in stock, however we have all the rebuild parts for the engine to bring it back to life. The piston/sleeve/rod combo is already set and no need to hassle with wrist pin and the clips on part number 53027, you also need the front and rear bearings for a solid rebuild. The other thing to check is the journal on the crankshaft, from looking at the pics of the sand I can't really say how long the sand was running in the engine but if it was a long period then that needs change also, it's a pretty penny to rebuild but if the engine has been a good runner then go for it.
For everything that you said and saw how much would I be looking at for a rebuild ?(I paid a hundred and twenty bucks for this engine 12+ years ago) For the record I always wanted the race version of this Engine
Old 02-26-2015, 01:29 PM
Tech Adept

engineWYLDTHING;13873933]That was the engine and pipe I started with in 1/8 scale about ten years ago! I've said for years that for a 'budget' engine, there is none that are better!

If it were me, I'd just buy a new one. Once they suck dirt, all of the wear and problems can't be seen with the naked eye normally. So spending the money to rebuild it might end up backfiring on you (no pun intended).

Just my opinion though....

Brad[/QUOTE]

Amen...... I like this engine better than my lrp. 28
Old 02-26-2015, 04:34 PM
Tech Master

I had the 8 port race engine in my first 1/8 buggy back in 2006, (Hyper PCR), brother had same car & engine as well, was a good engine & always went well without any problems even though I flogged the crap out of it & never used anything like ARO.
RC Willpower on Ebay sell a few different Hobao engines & have the 8 port with & without the pullstart.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:49 PM
Tech Adept

Ok basically what I'm getting so far is go buy a new one huh ? To me that's like THE carriage pulling the horse ...... paying more for the same motor that I have had for 10 years 10+ years ..... Paying more I still haven't made a decision on what GT engine should I get.... yeah I'm going to be in the doghouse for this one for sure Lol...