Wiki Posts
Search

Top five 16mm shocks

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 05:04 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Top five 16mm shocks

Can you rank the top five 16mm shocks in terms of performance?
Old 01-10-2015, 07:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

xray
xray
kyosho
losi
mugen
Old 01-11-2015, 07:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

In before xray fanb...oh sh

Manufacturers have reached a maturity point that now no one has measurable advantage over the other. Talking performance wise, because every shock still has quirks and could be improved in any way.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:33 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Good topic; interested to hear other's input:

Here's my top 5 rating from my experience:
#1 - Kyosho - a "Go-To" shock; always works; I don't like clip retainer (PITA)
#2 - Tekno - quality materials; bladder is always seated when removing cap
#3 - XRAY - quality materials; don't like the shock boots (use the new Losi)
#4 - CSI Clicker - Ahead of their time. Wish the bladder were like Tekno
#5 - Losi (16mm) - Love the TiCn shafts and the new boots, pretty caps

Yes, I understand the rating is for performance. My side notes are off topic, but figured I would throw in my .02 on the shock craftsmanship.

I think this is a constructive topic.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I think all the shocks are equally good, however, the biggest difference is the manufacturers springs.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:45 AM
Tech Master

I run Mugen by the way but I've had them all.

Xray: shocks are very consistent and super smooth even after couple of months of racing

Kyosho: shocks are good if you have the velvet shocks but their is no justification for the ridiculous price and yes the c-clips is a pain when it doesn't hold.

Losi (TLR): great shock very smooth but the tiny screw thats holds the piston backs out and can be stripped easily.

Mugen 15mm go flat quick and shafts bend too quick.

Tekno: go flat quick also and parts are also ridiculously expensive. Pistons break for no reason.

Agama: poop!! leak like crazy!!
Old 01-11-2015, 08:49 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by arm2storm
Agama: poop!! leak like crazy!!
I was going to say the same thing about the Agama shocks. Mine leaked from the lower seal area and loved to shoot shock fluid out the top holes too. I hope for them they've improved the shocks on the new A215 they have coming out.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:30 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Just to throw out a quick shock building tip for anyone looking to reduce to stiction on the shock shaft from the O-rings in the lower seal head area:

Replace one of the 2 O-rings that are in the lower shock seal area with one Losi X-ring (TLR233005). I normally put the X-ring on the inside, and use the second original shock's o-ring on the outside.

I've done this on Tekno, XRAY, and Mugen shocks. I've never had any leaking because of it, either. I found it interesting how much of a variance there is in different shocks in how much they pinch the shaft once the retaining cap is screwed all the way down.

I got this very idea from Chad Bradley in the MBX7 forum a long time ago, and have been using this concept since then.

One other thing that I do is before I screw retaining cap all way down (just screw it on a couple threads) I insert the shock shaft all the way through the seals. Then screw the retainer all the way. Because the retainer compresses the O-rings a little bit (making the inner diameter a bit smaller), this helps to make sure the shock shaft doesn't tear the O-rings when you're pushing it through.

Polishing the shafts seems to be a bit more popular idea for folks looking for smooth shocks. I do this as well with metal polish and a metal polishing cloth.

Sorry for being off topic, but just wanted to share some info that maybe others can benefit from that want a good shock build.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Hot bodies shocks should absolutely be in the top 5 list. Right up there with kyosho.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:01 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by moto775
Just to throw out a quick shock building tip for anyone looking to reduce to stiction on the shock shaft from the O-rings in the lower seal head area:

Replace one of the 2 O-rings that are in the lower shock seal area with one Losi X-ring (TLR233005). I normally put the X-ring on the inside, and use the second original shock's o-ring on the outside.

I've done this on Tekno, XRAY, and Mugen shocks. I've never had any leaking because of it, either. I found it interesting how much of a variance there is in different shocks in how much they pinch the shaft once the retaining cap is screwed all the way down...

lol funny you should mention this right after your comment about the agama shocks...as they include instruction to let the orings and bladders rest in silicon oil over night ( 2 hours always did it for me) before building the shocks for the first time.....for this EXACT same reason ALL silicon orings swell due to the oil...with some...especially the mugens (i know i also did the losi mod like the rest of the sheeple), they swell and bind up the shocks movement on the shaft...thats wahy it feels like night and day difference when you replace your mbx7 orings with the losi ones....and also why they were hit and miss for lots of ppl...som leaked others not.
Exposing the agama ones to the oil over night before assembling....made them seal just enough as required to be just as smooth as the mod you were talking about....all about tolerances. The agama shocks dont leak...period. they are in fact some of the smoothest ones on the market in my experience and ive also xray (808 though), mugen mbx6, mbx7, JQ yellow edition (they are slo good - since you use some of their parts for the mod you are refering too)

agama shocks are 17mm btw...so adding them to your list regardless of experiences (or lack thereof) is irrelevant

lots of 2c in there. i havnet driven a JQ for a few years now but he used to say something very true ehn we raced against him one year and had alot to say about his car back then.....he said "first you have to build it properly)
Old 01-11-2015, 12:30 PM
Tech Master

Agama shocks are still poop!!
Old 01-11-2015, 01:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Not 16 mm but Tamiya 1/8 shocks are amazing as well.
Old 01-11-2015, 06:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Mugen 16mm shocks, Kyosho bladders, tlr X ring with polished shafts = perfection.

I had a gallon on my shocks when I was doing a lot of practice. When I tore them apart for a race rebuild I checked the rebound. All were still at what they were when I built them.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:10 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Kyosho's are at the top. I don't care what scale it is. Easy build, rebound sets perfect every time and oil stays consistent. The kit shock bodies have crap ano.

The newer xray shocks (xb8 forward) have proven to be near Kyosho quality, very reliable and consistent. The '15 car came with thicker boots.

Can't really speak on anything else. Didn't like agama or serpent, haven't built a losi shock since the 2.0 days. Just my opinion.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Kyosho

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.