Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree100Likes

Mugen MBX7R

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-11-2017, 02:45 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Mugen MBX7R
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: E1 Diablo

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 07:30 PM
Tech Regular

MugenDrew,

Thank You very much for Your True Technical explanation. When You mention Roll Center and Centrifugal Force then I understand it right away..

Thanks again..

Btw, what do You think when Robert Battle opted to put the Heavier Ball and Nut on the Upper side when He won the WC in Argentina? What do You think is/are the technical decision that support the placement of the weight at the top part?

Do You think there will be a situation that we need to put the Weight on the Upper side?

I remember when I put the Heavier Weight on top, it makes the steering numb and felt slow but it might also makes the car more forgiving for large open fast flowing track.

Thank a lot again for sharing Your valuable thoughts..

Btw, are You Drew Moller??

Cheerss…

Originally Posted by MugenDrew
Backwards.
Understand roll center?
Understand centrifugal force?
Understand castor and its ability to force chassis roll?
You placed weight above the front roll center.
This added weight due to centrifugal force tremendously helped your castor angle to greatly increase roll rate versus the front tires traction circle to equate this into grip.
Due to this forced increase in chassis roll the rear of the car translated this into traction.
Push.
When the weight was moved below both the front, rear and actual roll centers of the car it did nothing but attempt to keep the front contact patch from leaving the race surface for a longer time when it was accelerated up and because of the excess weight when in the air it will accelerate down to the racing surface or droop quicker.
More traction because you have not overloaded the contact patch and have not forced the chassis to roll more and at the same time lowered the chassis roll center.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stanleyw808
MugenDrew,

Thank You very much for Your True Technicalanation. When You mention Roll Center and Centrifugal Force then I understand it right away..

Thanks again..

Btw, what do You think when Robert Battle opted to put the Heavier Ball and Nut on the Upper side when He won the WC in Argentina? What do You think is/are the technical decision that support the placement of the weight at the top part?

Do You think there will be a situation that we need to put the Weight on the Upper side?

I remember when I put the Heavier Weight on top, it makes the steering numb and felt slow but it might also makes the car more forgiving for large open fast flowing track.

Thank a lot again for sharing Your valuable thoughts..

Btw, are You Drew Moller??

Cheerss…
I was not at the Argentina race so I really can't comment. Roberts car is definitely his own. A long way from kit stock.
If I were absolutely desperate for a stable rear end and could not rid the chassis of steering I would try this.
Track surface falling apart, ruts, craters and the track still had grip and was not producing a bunch of dust (if the track was junk and still had a bunch of grip) I would try this.
There are much better tuning options for a large open flowing track that will make the chassis more efficient= quicker lap times.
Putting the weight on top of the front up rite is just backwards.
Andrew Schweitzer
Old 02-15-2015, 07:07 PM
Tech Regular

Hello Andrew Schweitzer,

I was not able to go either because our Country's Team had a Visa delay issue.. The Visa was granted on the 3rd day when the WC had already started. So, nobody decided to go.

As far as I know the Track in Argentina was indeed blown out in the Final day, so Robert might had the same thinking and opted to put the Weight on the Upper side.

Thanks again..

Cheers..

Stanley Wangsanegara

Originally Posted by MugenDrew
I was not at the Argentina race so I really can't comment. Roberts car is definitely his own. A long way from kit stock.
If I were absolutely desperate for a stable rear end and could not rid the chassis of steering I would try this.
Track surface falling apart, ruts, craters and the track still had grip and was not producing a bunch of dust (if the track was junk and still had a bunch of grip) I would try this.
There are much better tuning options for a large open flowing track that will make the chassis more efficient= quicker lap times.
Putting the weight on top of the front up rite is just backwards.
Andrew Schweitzer
Old 02-16-2015, 07:34 AM
Tech Rookie

Tim Long's recent setups have a much harder rear spring black 10.0 and the shock more inclined inward. Sometimes combined with a longer wheelbase (3.5 mm in the rear upright), I assume the longer wheel base purpose is to slow down the rotation due to the harder rear spring. Has anyone tried this rear setup on a blown out bumpy track?

I usually would not use such a hard spring for the rear on Mugens so I am curious if the new 7R rear suspension geometry works better with harder rear springs. Thoughts?
Old 02-16-2015, 07:55 AM
EJF
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (98%+)

the 7r has more rear grip than the previous 7. Imho.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ricky H.
Tim Long's recent setups have a much harder rear spring black 10.0 and the shock more inclined inward. Sometimes combined with a longer wheelbase (3.5 mm in the rear upright), I assume the longer wheel base purpose is to slow down the rotation due to the harder rear spring. Has anyone tried this rear setup on a blown out bumpy track?

I usually would not use such a hard spring for the rear on Mugens so I am curious if the new 7R rear suspension geometry works better with harder rear springs. Thoughts?
yes man!!!
Old 02-16-2015, 04:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Question where can I find these Tim Long set ups to anybody have a link to them ? Thanks
Old 02-16-2015, 05:15 PM
EJF
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BermyDomRepRC
Question where can I find these Tim Long set ups to anybody have a link to them ? Thanks
mugenracing.com
Old 02-16-2015, 05:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ricky H.

the car likes a stiffer rear spring. I have read this in tips from lee martin and tim long. i run a stiffer rear spring and the car works better for me. give it a try, you will probably like it.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:47 AM
Tech Addict

Question about the under drive can you use it in just the front or rear or in both and also does it basically give the car more rear or front wheel drive?
\Also are people using the under drive on mostly high bite smooth tracks?
Old 02-17-2015, 06:31 AM
EJF
Tech Elite

the under drive is mainly used in the rear for loser tracks, allows the front of the car to pull harder out of a corner
Old 02-17-2015, 07:18 AM
Tech Addict

Cool wouldn't going up in front diff oil produce the same effect ? as a rear under drive ?
Old 02-17-2015, 07:26 AM
Tech Regular

It will have the same effect, except you will lose some stability and acceleration with the car. If you drive hard in and out of the corners, the Underdrive gears are what you want, if you like to baby your car around, and not really push it.....this will not work for you, the underdrive gears slows the rear end down going in and coming out and then when your straight using your normal 7/7/5 diff setup, or whatever you use it pulls hard.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:46 AM
Tech Addict

Rob Lupo was you at the RC pro Finals 2005 at Sun Valley ?
Old 02-17-2015, 07:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I just can't wrap my head around underdrive gears in a car. Correct me if I'm wrong. If the car is traveling at a constant speed wouldn't the center diff have to constantly slip to compensate for the difference from front to rear gear ratio? This would make the drive train constantly work harder than it already is. There has to be a better answer to fix whatever problem people are having than to run mix matched gears. I just don't get it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.