Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Good temp guage? >

Good temp guage?

Good temp guage?

Old 03-05-2014, 12:38 AM
Tech Adept

Questions?? Good temp guage?

Hi Guys, I'm just wondering what any of you guys think a good temperature guage is? As i have a losi one and i feel it's taking a dump on me. So I figured it was time to get a new one. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-05-2014, 12:48 AM
Tech Addict

http://www.amain.com/product_info.ph...emperature-Gun
Old 03-05-2014, 12:54 AM
Tech Adept

And maybe a little bit more reasonably priced then $270 Haha
Old 03-05-2014, 12:57 AM
Tech Regular

I hope that was a joke

You don't need anything too crazy, and accuracy can be +\- 5 or so degrees with no problem at all, it's just to get an idea really.

Lots of guys around here (Myself included) use this Trakpower

http://www.towerhobbies.com/products.../tkpp9000.html

Not too big and has a lanyard\stopwatch for your pit guy to keep track of fuel stops etc.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:15 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Bigwave View Post
I hope that was a joke

You don't need anything too crazy, and accuracy can be +\- 5 or so degrees with no problem at all, it's just to get an idea really.

Not too big and has a lanyard\stopwatch for your pit guy to keep track of fuel stops etc.
Thanks more like it! haha, Thanks man.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bigwave View Post
I hope that was a joke

No, that wasn't a joke......if you want to keep really accurate tabs on your equipment, nothing beats the exergen. If you look around, you can get them for much less than $270. I paid $180 for mine, brand new, about 5 years ago.

I've compared mine to many different budget friendly temps guns, like the one you have in the link. I've seen differences as little as 5 degrees, to as much as 40 deg. The low cost ones have consistently read lower than the Exergen. I've also sent mine in for calibration twice.....both times there was no changes needed.

For nitro, even if you're only keeping track of temps at the end of a race to make sure it's not getting too high, there's a big difference between 250F and 290F. On the flip side, it's not just for nitro either. If you want to make sure your electric equipment is running at peak performance, you need to have accurate temp readings on the motor and ESC.

The folks who don't care much about equipment temps will never be convinced that spending close to $200 for a temp gun is worth it. For the folks who believe in keeping accurate measurements, nothing else but an Exergen is acceptable.

Just an FYI though, the Trakpower (formerly O'Donnell branded) temp gun has consistently been the farthest off from the Exergen (generally reading between 20 and 40 degrees lower). The TG1 from tempgun.com has been the closest (generally within 5 degrees F). I have one of those in my tool box as well, just in case something happens to my Exergen. (Here's a link to it)

Last edited by Stubbs; 03-05-2014 at 05:54 AM.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Total BS

Ok some of the cheap rc specific temp guns are not good but I would not pay over 200 dollars that's just silly. I use these and they work great.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Non-Contact-...item2ec7b7ca37
Old 03-05-2014, 07:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

i got one of these
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Non-Conta...item1e85c5704b
i've tested it against a fluke temp gun and reads similar temps.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stubbs View Post
No, that wasn't a joke......if you want to keep really accurate tabs on your equipment, nothing beats the exergen. If you look around, you can get them for much less than $270. I paid $180 for mine, brand new, about 5 years ago.

I've compared mine to many different budget friendly temps guns, like the one you have in the link. I've seen differences as little as 5 degrees, to as much as 40 deg. The low cost ones have consistently read lower than the Exergen. I've also sent mine in for calibration twice.....both times there was no changes needed.

For nitro, even if you're only keeping track of temps at the end of a race to make sure it's not getting too high, there's a big difference between 250F and 290F. On the flip side, it's not just for nitro either. If you want to make sure your electric equipment is running at peak performance, you need to have accurate temp readings on the motor and ESC.

The folks who don't care much about equipment temps will never be convinced that spending close to $200 for a temp gun is worth it. For the folks who believe in keeping accurate measurements, nothing else but an Exergen is acceptable.

Just an FYI though, the Trakpower (formerly O'Donnell branded) temp gun has consistently been the farthest off from the Exergen (generally reading between 20 and 40 degrees lower). The TG1 from tempgun.com has been the closest (generally within 5 degrees F). I have one of those in my tool box as well, just in case something happens to my Exergen. (Here's a link to it)
Completely agree. I've had my Exergen for years. Brilliant bit of kit and worth every dollar. I've used the cheapo alternatives before and never had one which was close enough to the Exergen readings for comfort. At the end of the day it's half the cost of a decent engine and will last you years and years and probably end up paying for itself eventually.

The cheap guns are ok to get an idea of the temps but will never be as accurate as the Exergen. Sorry chaps it's a fact!
Old 03-05-2014, 03:12 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for all the input guys
Old 03-05-2014, 03:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I also recommend the Duratrax infrared sensor. It's pretty cheap and really reliable. It's also quite accurate.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

The flukes good enough for me. 270 seems a bit much for the excergen. Maybe because they are into medical equipment?
Old 03-05-2014, 04:13 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

The cheap ones are all inaccurate and the exergen is just too expensive. The best test you can do it temp boiling water. I think its 202 degrees. You will know instantly how close your gun is. Someone really needs to release a good accurate gun in the $75-$100 price range. They would be a great seller.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Surprised there isn't a HK version of the exergen...
Old 03-05-2014, 04:46 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by HomicidalBunny View Post
I also recommend the Duratrax infrared sensor. It's pretty cheap and really reliable. It's also quite accurate.
I have been using the Duratrax flashpoint for a couple of years & its been pretty good, never had a problem with it & its been reliable. Know a few others to use it to as it works well. It may not be the most accurate but like mentioned by 'Jaz' with the boiling water, I've done that a few times & its been pretty close.
Easily good enough for getting a reasonably accurate temp from my nitro engines.

Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
The cheap ones are all inaccurate and the exergen is just too expensive. The best test you can do it temp boiling water. I think its 202 degrees. You will know instantly how close your gun is. Someone really needs to release a good accurate gun in the $75-$100 price range. They would be a great seller.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.