Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Bump box battery options? >

Bump box battery options?

Bump box battery options?

Old 12-25-2013, 07:24 PM
Tech Adept

Default Bump box battery options?

I use a bump box for my buggy and now my truggy. However with the 7.2v stick packs all I seem to do is charge the damn things and then I get limited usage out of them. I know I can aslo use 12v batteries and I was considering a 12V 7ah sealed lead battery since they are cheap, known to last, and small enough to fit inside the box itself.

Has anyone tried them?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12Volt-7-0Ah...item19e5ea02f8

I know they make gel batteries as well. Just looking for some advice on this.

The other option I considered was using 4 7.2v stick batteries with 2sets ran in parrellel with the tamiya plug adapter. If I had 4 1800mah 7.2v batteries wired this way I would end up with essentially 2 3600 mah batteries.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-25-2013, 07:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (98%+)

I run 2-2 cell 2400mah lipos and don't charge for an entire weekend.
Old 12-25-2013, 07:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

or 1 x 4s lipo
Old 12-25-2013, 07:56 PM
Tech Adept

Lipo is a lot more expensive though and I don't have a lipo charger. I am not against using them but I would like to see if this option has been tried and if so how it worked.

These batteries are used for security system back up when the power goes out. I would "hope" they would hold up to a bump box.

In case though how many Mah would I need with a lipo?
Old 12-25-2013, 09:47 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by zandrew View Post
Lipo is a lot more expensive though and I don't have a lipo charger. I am not against using them but I would like to see if this option has been tried and if so Ihow it worked.

These batteries are used for security system back up when the power goes out. I would "hope" they would hold up to a bump box.

I use two 2000 mah nimh stick packs for my buggy box &

Two 3300mah nimh stick packs for my truggy box with no problems..

Also broke in engines with box with no problems on tight engines with ton of pinch
Old 12-25-2013, 09:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

I use this: http://www.hobbypartz.com/72p-b7060-...tarterbox.html

with a worn out 2s lipo and it works perfectly fine. I always heat up my engines to 190 when starting, but i've never needed any more speed or torque.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (98%+)

the 12v will work fine, it is just much heavier.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

12V battery is a good option. As said before, they make the starter box quite heavy. And they're not quite as grunty as the lipos.

I used 12v batteries in my starter box before going lipo, and they would last a whole race weekend without a problem. If you haven't got a lipo charger then this is a good option.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:33 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by zandrew View Post
Lipo is a lot more expensive though and I don't have a lipo charger. I am not against using them but I would like to see if this option has been tried and if so how it worked.

I use a 2200MAH 3s for my dual motor bump box. You can get a battery and charger from hobby king for under 20 bucks before shipping.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html

Not expensive and I get a few days before I charge it and it still has plenty in it. My charger shows the amount of MAH going into the battery while charging. That charger cost me 22 bucks but cheaper ones are available for $9 bucks.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...30w_2s_4s.html
Old 12-26-2013, 07:20 AM
Tech Initiate

I run 2 x 5000mAh 2S LiPo's in my box.. I never miss power! No reason to buy the expensive LiPo's here since you dont need the high "C" bursts.. the cheaper ones from HK will work just fine :-)
Old 12-26-2013, 01:32 PM
Tech Master

The 12v SLA will work fine but I changed over to a 4s LiFePO4, 13.2v, works well but you would still need a LiPo/LiFe charger.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ozziii View Post
The 12v SLA will work fine but I changed over to a 4s LiFePO4, 13.2v, works well but you would still need a LiPo/LiFe charger.
I happened to used a gel cell the same one for like 5 years now in my starter box. I happen to like the weight of it at sometimes. Like when you get that crazy guy that just throw you stuff around by mistake it helps keep it planted. but carrying the dang thong sucks.i been thinking of going lipo but this gel cell just dont die cant seem to just leave it on the bench. For lipo amain hobbies got some 2600mah ones for like 36 bucks it under starter box battery. Will I can be wrong on the mha but you dont need a big mah lipo to go for the weekend.i did nhim the gel cell will work a lot better. I also run my comp heater of the same gel cell in my starter box never had a problem yet going two weekends on it easy.