Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Do you use chassis skid plates for protection? >

Do you use chassis skid plates for protection?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you use chassis skid plates for protection?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 02:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kylehirano
So it sounds like mixed reviews, is there a rule of telling when your chassis needs replaced, I've seen, and used some chassis that were real thin in the rear, but still seemed fine on the track.
I would say run it until you feel a drop in performance, either too much flex, or excessive wear. chassis will wear down, but if they aren't causing problems, then there is no problem. It comes down to personal preference though, everybody will have a different idea of when the chassis should be replaced.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I use them all the time. I have machined some from work. That I made used them for 3 years never had one bent or break I think I posted a pic of how to make the perfect Dodd for the d8 and d8t a long time ago. the rear of my chassie still looks new lol. But I'm not too hard on my cars or at least I don't think I am.. If the front of the skid is machined down it will not catch and Mess you up.i will post a pic of mine over the weekend and you can see how I did it.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

So I haven't used a skid plate that sticks off the back of the chassis since I had problems with my rc8.2, about 6 months ago. Here's something you guys are not thinking of when it comes to chassis. Aluminum is a very malleable metal, which means it is able to be bent easily, especially with the additive of heat. So by continuously cycling our chassis with heat in them from the engine and the amount of flex that out 1/8th scale cars have, the chassis will be tweaked or become too flexible well before the chassis wears out at the back end.

Ran my rc8.2 for about a year using the skid plates, and at the end I kept breaking chassis supports, had funky inconsistent handling issues, and while being very well balance side to side, the car would jump and pitch at weird angles. Replaced the chassis and all was fixed.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sean Dickinson
So I haven't used a skid plate that sticks off the back of the chassis since I had problems with my rc8.2, about 6 months ago. Here's something you guys are not thinking of when it comes to chassis. Aluminum is a very malleable metal, which means it is able to be bent easily, especially with the additive of heat. So by continuously cycling our chassis with heat in them from the engine and the amount of flex that out 1/8th scale cars have, the chassis will be tweaked or become too flexible well before the chassis wears out at the back end.

Ran my rc8.2 for about a year using the skid plates, and at the end I kept breaking chassis supports, had funky inconsistent handling issues, and while being very well balance side to side, the car would jump and pitch at weird angles. Replaced the chassis and all was fixed.
You make a good point about the chassis being tweaked, before the back ever wears out. I think I'll go without skid plate protection for now it's sounds likes it also affects how your buggy handles when it launches off jumps too.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:27 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ncdirtracer
i used DE,front and rear, on my mbx6t for 2 years and the chassis looked liked new except a few scratches when I sold it. Never had a problem out of them
ditto....never a problem on my race losi 8T 2.0.....
Old 12-29-2013, 01:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kylehirano
You make a good point about the chassis being tweaked, before the back ever wears out. I think I'll go without skid plate protection for now it's sounds likes it also affects how your buggy handles when it launches off jumps too.
it can, if the jump is steep enough so you bottom out on the ramp, it can cause the car to "drag" on the skid.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:14 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Sean Dickinson

Not entirely true. If you race on a very abrasive track, you can go through a chassis in no time... took me about 2 months only and not racing all the time...
Old 12-31-2013, 03:13 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by thommi
Not entirely true. If you race on a very abrasive track, you can go through a chassis in no time... took me about 2 months only and not racing all the time...
Very true some tracks in England usually astro the chassis hardly wears at all,
However some tracks are very very abrasive and will wear your chassis away in a very short time indeed.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

when did you last see a pro using one?
Old 12-31-2013, 08:10 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RAlmeida
when did you last see a pro using one?
Mostly because they have an unlimited supply of free chassis.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:31 AM
Tech Rookie

When I had my MP9 tki3 I was talking to Elliot Boots about my car set up.
Upon looking at my car literally the first thing he said was get that thing off referring to the chassis wear plate.
I've never seen anyone using one at National level.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I like how Agama incorporated a skid plate on there buggy design.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I never had a plastic DE bend on me. They are good to gauge your setup. If you are going thru them fast then your suspense is too soft for that track. So use them to help you setup your buggy without premature wear of your chassis plate.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:14 AM
Tech Initiate

I covered the bottom of my chassis with carbon fiber to stop my wear issues, Has worked brilliantly and not affected the handling within my skill level.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by alexthelion
I covered the bottom of my chassis with carbon fiber to stop my wear issues, Has worked brilliantly and not affected the handling within my skill level.
I would think carbon fiber cover would change the handling characteristics, Cause I'm sure it prob takes away some chassis flex as well!