Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
8ight 3.0, Is this normal??? >

8ight 3.0, Is this normal???

8ight 3.0, Is this normal???

Old 11-20-2013, 07:07 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Default 8ight 3.0, Is this normal???

I'd first like to say hello to everyone here. I have an 8ight 3.0 with a novarossi bonito engine mounted with a losi quick change engine mount. The issue is that the clutch bell meshes good but it's only half on the gear spur. Is this normal for novarossi engines or do I have something set up wrong.
Attached Thumbnails 8ight 3.0, Is this normal???-losi-8ight-3.0-gear-mesh.jpg  
Old 11-20-2013, 07:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

What clutch system and clutch bell are you using.. Also you motor isn't mounted straight looks like it's slanted and the mess is off. I don't own a 3.0 but Losi normal take a bigger bell not a Ofna bell etc.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Couple of issues:

Looks like you are using an aftermarket bell. Losi bell completely different and recommended. The Losi bell is longer where the bell gear meets the spur where most other bells sit more flush against the housing.

You are also using a cap head screw at the end of the crank. Not the best option as it will puncture the tank once you have it fitted correctly.

Depending on which easy mount you have you can flip the blocks for a better fit. Most easy mounts have a froward and rear mounting position giving you 2 different options.

You also have the option of extending the crank if none of the options work above by using the small ofna washers.

If you played around with it a bit I am sure you can get the right fit.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Correct me if I'm wrong.. but it looks like a mugen bell. With a standard clutch I would think you would need some flywheel shims.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:58 AM
Tech Regular

bigjayjay1, It's aftermarket but not exactly sure which it is as I have a few. I will look at again to ensure it is straight as well.

dishsoap, Thanks for the ensight on the small details I overlooked but I have a Losi clutch bell and will install that on the engine. I purchased the engine from someone and didn't take the time to look it over properly.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

The losi quick mounts can go both ways. If you have the arrows pointing forward it pushs the engine back and if you have them pointing to the rear it pushes the engine forward. Once you do that you will be fine. You clutch and whatever else your using should be fine. You might need a heat sink clutch bell screw though so it wont hit the gas tank.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Swingnamiss22 View Post
bigjayjay1, It's aftermarket but not exactly sure which it is as I have a few. I will look at again to ensure it is straight as well.

dishsoap, Thanks for the ensight on the small details I overlooked but I have a Losi clutch bell and will install that on the engine. I purchased the engine from someone and didn't take the time to look it over properly.
may sure you use the entire losi clutch not just the bell.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:31 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by pballer2777 View Post
may sure you use the entire losi clutch not just the bell.
I will, Thanks a lot.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:34 PM
Tech Regular

Got it sorted, wrong clutch bell. I appreciate the help guys. Thanks a lot
Attached Thumbnails 8ight 3.0, Is this normal???-8ight-3.0-gear-mesh2.jpg  
Old 11-20-2013, 05:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

You need a bell like this.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/advanced...i+bell&x=0&y=0

You can shim behind the collet to move the clutch assembly up but you have too much space to make up.. Make sure you bell spins freely with some play just a tad this will prevent premature bearing failures.. The Losi clutch setup works great if you using something different then buy a assembly.. I have extras if need but ebay has them cheap. Once you get you clutch done then install and set your mesh. People use the paper method when setting mesh but I go by feel. Make sure your motor is centered this will insure proper wear between your spur gear and bell. YouTube has videos on this subject..
Old 11-21-2013, 12:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Got it sorted, wrong clutch bell. I appreciate the help guys. Thanks a lot
One other thing to avoid any engine problems. That fuel line looks really old unless its the solid orange and opaque orange. I would replace all fuel line just to be on the safe side. This will avoid any potential headaches. Plus its really cheap to do.

How is the clearance from the end of the bell now against the gas tank?
Old 11-21-2013, 03:54 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by dishsoap View Post
One other thing to avoid any engine problems. That fuel line looks really old unless its the solid orange and opaque orange. I would replace all fuel line just to be on the safe side. This will avoid any potential headaches. Plus its really cheap to do.

How is the clearance from the end of the bell now against the gas tank?
Ok, will change the tank. the clearance from the end of the bell to the tank is closer but plenty of room after the bell change.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mikesd1980 View Post
The losi quick mounts can go both ways.

This. If you flip the mount around you can use any clutch bell with the losi.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

you have put bell mugen!!
use only losi
Old 11-21-2013, 07:57 PM
Tech Adept

Check your quick change mount and make sure you have installed it on the motor correctly as it has to be assembled a specific way. I think you have it backwards or upside down or both.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.