Wiki Posts
Search

Need setup advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 11:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Need setup advice

HI
I'm racing on a loose , blown out track with some long and some tight 180 turns. My main problem is oversteer and loosing rear grip on corner entry on long corners. I don't want too loose much off-power steering for tight 180 turns but solve the problem with long corners. What do you suggest ?
Old 08-23-2013, 08:22 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Sounds to me you need to soften your rear end up. you can achieve this in different ways but one of the quickest ways to do this to test if your in the right direction is to use softer springs on the rear shocks.

Then I would try your rear roll bar. Go with a smaller bar. If these take away too much of your steering for your liking then go back to your initial setup, then drop your oil weight.

If one of these gets you closer to where you want to be then you can mess with Roll centers and raising the rear camber links position on the tower can help gain some rear traction as well.

When you have an issue like this your going to have to make compromises, in order to get more rear traction you will lose some of your steering. Its your job to find the happy middle ground. If you get a nice balance of front and rear traction if will make the car easier to drive but may not be the absolutely fastest car.

It's like Days of Thunder "Loose is fast but on the verge of out of control"

Take a look at the Hudy Offroad setup guide and look through all the different adjustments and see what they say adds rear traction or stability and give it a shot.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks a lot for detailed explaination
Old 08-23-2013, 03:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

JQ posted a great Guide to help with everything you need, a more hands on version as opposed to the theoretical version of the hudy manual.

http://jq-products.com/the-news/43-t.../160-the-guide
Old 08-25-2013, 07:16 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You could try a softer front spring! It will help in the bumps and give you less entry steering.