Wiki Posts
Search

Clutch Shoes..

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 06:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Clutch Shoes..

Ok, so once i got to digging into this LTS2 i bought, i figured i would just go ahead and tear it all the way down so i know the truck inside and out. It has an Axial 32RR-1 in right now which is why i was looking for another engine.

I get to the clutch bell and i notice it has a bit of slop and it looked like one of the shoes was hung up, now before i go popping the shoe off and filing the bur down, will it mess it up? Like will it make the shoe engage before the others due to the lack of weight? Or is the spring what determines the torque needed to engage?
Attached Thumbnails Clutch Shoes..-4.jpg   Clutch Shoes..-3.jpg   Clutch Shoes..-2.jpg   Clutch Shoes..-1.jpg  
Old 03-02-2013, 06:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hey dude congrats on your new truck! i think if you file the shoes down a bit you will be fine. i always file the burrs of the edges and the smooth stuff ontop of the shoes off as well and have never had any problems! as long as you dont file a quarter of an inch off you should be good! and no one shoe will not enguage quicker or later than another either unless like i said you take alot off.
Hopefully that truck brings you some joy dude have fun!
Old 03-02-2013, 06:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the response bro, i figured it wouldn't hurt none considering im only trying to smooth the shoe out so it sits right.. Just checking though, you never know lol..
Old 03-02-2013, 07:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

It seems like if a guy had a small washer to keep the shoe off the fw, it wouldn't drag and chew the shoes up..
Old 03-02-2013, 07:28 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

there's something wrong with the spring. see how the other shoes are pulled tight to the center shaft and the one is just up in the air?

it's supposed to be down like the other 2. you might have a broken spring
Old 03-02-2013, 07:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Its not the spring, it's the shoe, it's hung up on the flywheel from dragging across the surface of the flywheel when it engages, it has no washer or space to keep it from dragging so it chewed the shoe up causing it to hang, the spring still has plenty of tension. Im assuming it got to the point where it had an edge on it and it eventually got stuck and the previous owner didn't realized the bell was rolling it over even more causing it to hang more.

Of course i could be wrong...
Old 03-02-2013, 07:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by mtpocketsracing
there's something wrong with the spring. see how the other shoes are pulled tight to the center shaft and the one is just up in the air?

it's supposed to be down like the other 2. you might have a broken spring
This.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Just in case anybody ever runs across this, this is what the shoe looks like and what the problem is, first check the spring, if you have tension and the spring will not disengage and is hung up on the flywheel, it's been drug across the surface of the flywheel and created a lip on the shoe causing the edge of the shoe to roll over. Im sure once it got to a certain point, it just eventually never disengaged and the flywheel eventually kept cutting into it making it worse, it would of eventually wore the lip off and disengaged but im a perfectionist so that is not an option lol..
Attached Thumbnails Clutch Shoes..-dsc01989.jpg   Clutch Shoes..-dsc01990.jpg   Clutch Shoes..-dsc01992.jpg  
Old 03-03-2013, 06:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

um, why is the carburator off? just wondering... that should be closed with something, 1 hair in there and the motor is toast. also, i stopped filing it off a while back, exacto! if you do file it you want to bevel the edge about a 45 degree angle to give the burrs more room before they stick again.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:25 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigbadbasher
Its not the spring, it's the shoe, it's hung up on the flywheel from dragging across the surface of the flywheel when it engages, it has no washer or space to keep it from dragging so it chewed the shoe up causing it to hang, the spring still has plenty of tension. Im assuming it got to the point where it had an edge on it and it eventually got stuck and the previous owner didn't realized the bell was rolling it over even more causing it to hang more.

Of course i could be wrong...
ah gotcha.

Originally Posted by j_blaze14
um, why is the carburator off? just wondering... that should be closed with something, 1 hair in there and the motor is toast. also, i stopped filing it off a while back, exacto! if you do file it you want to bevel the edge about a 45 degree angle to give the burrs more room before they stick again.
you're over reacting a bit. I know i've got dirt down in mine before. a little bit of nitro cleaner or motor cleaner will flush it all out if you remove the back plate etc.
hell I've even seen a car motor suck a paper towel into the intake before and it never skipped a beat. that was 5 years ago and it's still running fine.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by j_blaze14
I'm just going to buy new shoes as they mushroomed pretty good but i think they have a little life on them, enough for me to file them, stick em back on and run run it a few times until my engine gets here.

And the carb hole does not have to be covered, i am cleaning the engine today so it will be flushed anyways lol.. It's not like i filed the shoes on the engine lol..

You did make me giggle with one hair though lol..
Old 03-03-2013, 08:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

I'm in no way associated with Buku clutches but, I just got a Buku a couple months ago and it is awsome. All the melted aluminum on your clutch shoes is normal. Depending on your engine size, truck weight, gearing, ect.... Will determine how quickly the crap builds up on the aluminum shoes. That's why racers are constantly taking their engines off to check the clutch. This does not happen with the Buku clutch. The Buku uses shoes with a composite pad on them that wears extremely well. I'm approaching 2 gallons of fuel on my clutch and all I've done is take the motor off to check everything and its always good! It's so nice to not have to mess with taking my clutch shoes off all the time and de-burr them, along with sanding the aluminum buildup out of the clutchbell. I would imagine I'm going to save lots of money on clutch shoes as well. The last set of aluminum shoes I bought cost me $25 at my LHS. I melted those dudes in no time with my LRP .30 in my Rc8t with monster truck tires. The Buku composite shoes handle it no problem with zero maintainence.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

I was looking at the Bukus the other day, i am probably going to get them actually.

Where you at in CInci?
Old 03-03-2013, 12:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by bigbadbasher
I was looking at the Bukus the other day, i am probably going to get them actually.

Where you at in CInci?
I'm actually north of cincy near kings island.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Really? So your up in Mason? I'm just in Hamilton bro.. Is your birth year 78? Just curious cause mine is to lol..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.