Wiki Posts
Search

QUESTION on Nitro Racing, "FLAME OUT/LAP COUNT"

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 07:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Questions?? QUESTION on Nitro Racing, "FLAME OUT/LAP COUNT"

Can someone either link me to some "official" IFMAR or ROAR rule on flaming out and then how the lap is counted after you get your Nitro restarted.

I run the RCScoringPro program at our local track. Here are the circumstances that occured tonight at the track.

The transponder loop is located before the pit lane ramp. The running direction of the track is clockwise.

The car in question flamed out after the loop. We were about 5 minutes into a 15 minute race. I would estimate that the car flamed out at approximately the 1/2 way point of completing a full lap. The car was brought to the pit and restarted and his pit man went ahead and topped the fuel off too. He was instructed he had to exit the pit lane to the left and not reverse direction to the right going down the entrance of pit lane where the loop is located.

At first he wanted credit for the "1/2" lap, or something. I said you didnt complete a COMPLETE lap and that is how we are going with it at the current moment.
The discussion was brought up why we dont have the loop after pit lane. I replied because if you flame out after you cross the loop (say 10 feet after you cross the loop) then your car gets retrieved and restarted you exit the ramp and "chah ching" you get another lap. On and on, you could wrap the race up after a dozen consecutive flame outs.

My question is can someone tell me from how they run this "flame out" senario at their track, and if they could link me to the ROAR or IFMAR passage in the "Book".

Please help me out. Thanks in advance
Old 02-09-2013, 07:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You ran it correct. Its part of racing and it happens to everyone at least once. Im not seeing it in the roar rule book but if a car flames out it can be refired from pit lane, fueled then set out of pit lane in the racing direction. Going backwards on the track would result in a penalty.

Last edited by RcRacer37E; 02-09-2013 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ABN Hoosier
Can someone either link me to some "official" IFMAR or ROAR rule on flaming out and then how the lap is counted after you get your Nitro restarted.

I run the RCScoringPro program at our local track. Here are the circumstances that occured tonight at the track.

The transponder loop is located before the pit lane ramp. The running direction of the track is clockwise.

The car in question flamed out after the loop. We were about 5 minutes into a 15 minute race. I would estimate that the car flamed out at approximately the 1/2 way point of completing a full lap. The car was brought to the pit and restarted and his pit man went ahead and topped the fuel off too. He was instructed he had to exit the pit lane to the left and not reverse direction to the right going down the entrance of pit lane where the loop is located.

At first he wanted credit for the "1/2" lap, or something. I said you didnt complete a COMPLETE lap and that is how we are going with it at the current moment.
The discussion was brought up why we dont have the loop after pit lane. I replied because if you flame out after you cross the loop (say 10 feet after you cross the loop) then your car gets retrieved and restarted you exit the ramp and "chah ching" you get another lap. On and on, you could wrap the race up after a dozen consecutive flame outs.

My question is can someone tell me from how they run this "flame out" senario at their track, and if they could link me to the ROAR or IFMAR passage in the "Book".

Please help me out. Thanks in advance

You would be exactly right and that is part of racing. You do not get credit for that half lap. I have never heard of anyone wanting credit for a half lap because they flame. Lets say you are running on a 30 sec. lap track. You flame halfway through that lap. Your pit man has to go get the buggy, restart it, then exit pit lane as you normally would pit lane. All said and done, that lap should be 1:00 or so depending on how fast your pit guy is.......

That is part of racing and too bad so sad. I am pretty good at RC Scoring Pro, and I do not know of a way to add half a lap in the system. I know how to add a lap if you know it skips a lap or something, but no way.

These are the variables that come into play and make it that much more fun when you step into the whole nitro realm..... I have seen it happen to everyone and will happen some times unfortunately!!!!!

Flaming is racing!!!!!

EDIT: Don't ever put the loop after pit lane. If my pit guy is good I can click off a 15 second lap and be rewarded for flaming.......
Old 02-10-2013, 05:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

can't you filter lap times so ridiculously low times are thrown out?
Old 02-10-2013, 06:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

You only get credited for laps you complete. You handled it correctly.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:11 AM
Tech Regular

+1. You ran it correctly...

If they are getting that desperate for half a lap credit....you'll have to keep an eye on the buggers to make sure the pitman doesnt swipe it over the loop when carrying it back to the pits! Am sure that'll be their next ploy! lol
Old 02-10-2013, 07:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R/C Lidz
can't you filter lap times so ridiculously low times are thrown out?
Yes, there is a threshold you can set. This helps too if someone cuts the track.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You did it absolutely correct and that is the way its done everywhere. There are consequences to a flame out. I've even seen pit men cheat and run the car to the loop so that the time lost is minimal. Tell the guy to pound sand.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

1/2 lap credit wow that's a first... Don't flame out and don't flame on the director.. Having the loop after the pits is funny sounds like you have a few people missing a few screws..
Old 02-10-2013, 01:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Thanks for the responses guys. I have been running the scoring program for only about 6 months. I have been racing on and off about ten years. I try to keep it fair as possible. I have long came to the conclusion that you CANNOT make everyone happy.

I do have the minimum lap time set on all classes so that is covered. I have the latest rcscoringpro version. This newest update has the colored "lap bar loading" feature, so that helps track cars on the track. I will be the first to admit it gets hectic at times when transponders don't score (Losi 22 SCT 2wd cars for some reason emit low strength/hit counts on the transponder numbers for some reason), manually counting cars without transponders, and all the bumping and hacking going on. Sometimes racers get outraged to put it mildly. Makes it hard to keep it fun.

Again, thanks for the responses.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:26 PM
JsK
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

You handled it correctly. Keep an eye out now for pit guys trying to run it
over the loop on the way back. 22s and other metal chassis need to have
the PT mounted up on the servo or RX that will help with there low signal.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:00 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

At our track we consider your PT to be part of your equipment and therefor a PT failure is your problem, not the race directors. If your PT is emitting a weak signal and the loop misses it, your problem, fix your setup so the signal is stronger.

The RDs used to try and count the missed laps for people but it got too hectic, and once people EXPECTED the missed laps to be counted then they'd be upset if some got missed. Last year we just said that's the end of it.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

I give much respect and appreciation to all directors... Even if I had a issue, I wouldn't fuss at all these guys spend more time at the track even if he made a mistakes big deal...

your right you can't make everyone happy if U did you wouldn't get anywhere.. Call it as you see it and explain all issues at your tracking meetings that way there's a clear direction.. Our director does a hell of a job before every race there's a racers meeting.. He spells out his thoughts and racers have the opportunity to speak there ideas or issues. Most times if someone comes out with a stupid remark other racers will shut them down..
Old 02-10-2013, 05:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

One of our tracks is the same setup (clockwise, loop before pit lane entrance) and nearly every pit man knows by now to hold the car high enough in order not to trigger the loop when bringing a flamed out car back to the pit.
Kind of funny to see people running holding a buggy or a truggy high over their head..
Old 02-11-2013, 05:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

According to ROAR rules, the loop must be installed within 1/4 of a the track length before the pit entrance. The rules also indicate that cars have to be restarted in pit lane.

You did the correct thing. When flaming out, you should not get credited for that lap. If you have watched any of the big races, when someone flames out, they run the car back to pit lane while holding the car high when running past the loop to ensure that the car is not counted per the rules.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.