Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Toy Car ? -or- Race Car ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 12:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Very true what Token said.... ATV, Dirtbikes... toys? People buy them for little kids to have fun too. Leisure boating? Just for fun... no primary function other than enjoyment.

"Toy" is just too ambiguous, especially in the context it's used.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

If you're an amateur dirt bike trail rider, what is your bike? Your toy!
If you're a professional motocross racer, what is your bike? Your tool!

For me, my MBX7 is a toy.
For Robert Batlle, his MBX7 is his tool.
They are both model race cars.

Having said that, I still think RC cars and motorcycles are toys that we race. Professional motocross is definately a sport, if you don't believe that, you haven't tried it. But racing RC cars...I just can't call it a sport.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:18 PM
Tech Elite

R. Battle - Just lucky and blessed he gets to play with toys for a living.

And for record, Ive seen some pretty serious injuries come from 1/8th RC's, I also seen kids choke on Legos, Ive seen a 5 year old get a concussion from getting hit with Hulk Smash Gloves. They are still toys....
Old 01-10-2013, 01:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CanyonCarverR1
If you're an amateur dirt bike trail rider, what is your bike? Your toy!
If you're a professional motocross racer, what is your bike? Your tool!

For me, my MBX7 is a toy.
For Robert Batlle, his MBX7 is his tool.
They are both model race cars.

Having said that, I still think RC cars and motorcycles are toys that we race. Professional motocross is definately a sport, if you don't believe that, you haven't tried it. But racing RC cars...I just can't call it a sport.
It's ambiguous, kinda like the debate if chess is a sport or a game. But since the Olympic committee considers chess as a sport, and golf is also a sport, I say RC is a sport too. It does require motor skills with exceptional hand-eye coordination and a high level of sportsmanship. It just doesn't have big buff people going after each other backed with cheerleaders.

Last edited by inpuressa; 01-10-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

LOL this is all to funny they are TOYS. That we spend way to much money
and time on so I say it's and ADDICTION or a MENTAL DISORDER just like a junky it's how we get your fix and I can't what for the DNC in AZ
Old 01-10-2013, 01:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Anytime my friends make fun how I play with toys, I get slightly irritated because they view them as fisher price, tyco, and radio shack type of toys. I always rebuttal with that I'll run my toy full gas into your leg so you can see what a toy feels like. Ofcourse they rather keep their tibia enact so they decline.

We put too much time, effort, and money into the hobby for our rigs to be considered just "toys". I have fun with the hobby but I also take it serious from the building, racing, setup, and tuning aspect that I will not allow people to make a mockery of it. Just because they don't understand the totality of they hobby doesn't give them the right to say its just a little "toy". Just how I feel about it.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:31 PM
Tech Champion

RC seems to have many of the same symptoms and effects as drug use and addiction.

So if Meth can be considered a toy, so can my 5ive......I guess?
Old 01-10-2013, 03:38 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (73%+)

Its exactly like real car racing except you don't sit in it, at least that the only difference I can think of aside from scale and cost.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I would consider these cars toys that many adults enjoy, because its an alternative to racing full size cars. Some get offended by calling them toys because they spend so much money on them, but there are much more expensive adult toys out there. But the word itself is relative to the situation. A toy for a child is something that is played with and provides amusement, and that is what we should be doing by racing our little cars. A toy is such a broad word that many, many things can fit under the umbrella.

Another thing worth mentioning, is that I think it's interesting that you control your car by a small wheel that turns less than 80 degrees lock to lock with your right hand finger tips, and your throttle that is lock to lock in a few inches with your left hand pointer finger tip. And a matter of turning the wheel or squeezing the trigger a few degrees too much or too little makes a big difference.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I just call it a Toy Racecar. covers both sides of the argument.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigjayjay1
I do have dry humor
I though what you said was pretty funny...when I read the first sentence I was thinking...okay dood you take this way to seriously ...then I read the next one and .
Old 01-10-2013, 07:29 PM
Tech Regular

Expensive hobby-grade toys. Hobby-grade meaning they sale replacement parts when they break and upgrades to improve or customize. Toys break and they are trashed. Some get paid to race them (advertise), because that is best way to expose product. You can actually see the vehicle in motion. If manufacturers could sell just as many sitting on shelves or some celebrity holding it in their hands they would go that route. I love rc because it is a safe and cheaper alternative to the real sport of racing 1:1 vehicles. Also, we live in a country of opportunity. You can be paid for doing anything well. That can be from rc to acting like a jack ass. Just do something well, good or bad.

Last edited by jaywax; 01-10-2013 at 07:53 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:33 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by cary
LOL this is all to funny they are TOYS. That we spend way to much money
and time on so I say it's and ADDICTION or a MENTAL DISORDER just like a junky it's how we get your fix and I can't what for the DNC in AZ
Originally Posted by Zerodefect
RC seems to have many of the same symptoms and effects as drug use and addiction.

So if Meth can be considered a toy, so can my 5ive......I guess?
These statements IMO are true, IMO the pleasure center of the brain is being activated. This hobby can become more important than relationships for many. It is sad when a toy or your race car becomes more important than spending quality time with your own family.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:53 PM
Tech Addict

Old 01-10-2013, 11:53 PM
Tech Addict

I've heard a fully sponsored driver call himself a "Professional toy car racer".... If a sponsored driver says that, who am i to argue

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.