Search
Like Tree13Likes

Serpent 811 Cobra Buggy 2.1

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 12:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BoardSlapper
Oh, and a question. The 2.1+ manual shows that the shock shafts should have a threaded end and you put a nut on. My buggy does not have those, and even if I try and find those shock shafts with the correct part number, all the shafts I find have a threaded hole in the end. Does anyone actually have or know where to source the shock shafts that get a nut on the end? I would prefer these, as I feel they are stronger, and actually broke one of my rear ones this past weekend.
What you've got fitted isn't a Serpent part. The serpent rods have the screw not a nut. I've never broke one of the stock Serpent rods.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have the ones with the screw in them. The little thin bit at the top that the piston goes over, broke off and the screw pulled out. The manuals show the newer ones are supposed to have a nut. But I'm thinking they backed out on that idea when they released the car.

There are several examples from the serpent site/manual that show them with nuts. But when you go searching for that part, they are the kind with the screw into them.

Serpent Model Racing Cars - Product - Shockrod 811 2.0 rear Tin coated (2)

https://www.amainhobbies.com/serpent...45/p240011?r=0

No big though, I'll just crab the TIN ones that have the screw. Then my existing ones will still be good spares.

Also plan on getting the hardened shock caps.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:56 PM
Tech Regular

I have the ones with the screw in them. The little thin bit at the top that the piston goes over, broke off and the screw pulled out. The manuals show the newer ones are supposed to have a nut. But I'm thinking they backed out on that idea when they released the car.

There are several examples from the serpent site/manual that show them with nuts. But when you go searching for that part, they are the kind with the screw into them.

Serpent Model Racing Cars - Product - Shockrod 811 2.0 rear Tin coated (2)

https://www.amainhobbies.com/serpent...45/p240011?r=0

No big though, I'll just crab the TIN ones that have the screw. Then my existing ones will still be good spares.

Also plan on getting the hardened shock caps.
Those Amain shock shafts are out dated and were replaced, because of the weakness/issue you describe BoardSlapper.

As you are in the US BoardSlapper these guys have an amazing stock of spares for our 811 buggies, hopefully you will find most of what you need.

I use them all the time and their services are awesome.

http://stores.ebay.com/Rc-Waffle/Ser...sub=1389954017

Old 07-18-2017, 07:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Palebushman
Those Amain shock shafts are out dated and were replaced, because of the weakness/issue you describe BoardSlapper.

As you are in the US BoardSlapper these guys have an amazing stock of spares for our 811 buggies, hopefully you will find most of what you need.

I use them all the time and their services are awesome.

http://stores.ebay.com/Rc-Waffle/Ser...sub=1389954017

Thanks for the info Palebushman. I'm not actually in the US, but I'll look into that ebay store anyway.

Thanks.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

And one more thing, can someone with the Plus4 chassis please confirm the driveshaft lengths. I would like to compare with mine to see if I have the Plus4 or not.

Thanks.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:26 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the info Palebushman. I'm not actually in the US, but I'll look into that ebay store anyway.

Thanks.
Oops, apologies Evan, I should have said...... As you are closer to the US than Australia, which is my LHS* for all my Serpent stuff.

Walter R/C Hobby City Online Hobby Shop Home page

Old 07-19-2017, 05:33 PM
Tech Regular

Some of the best thing to get in my opinion are, aluminum center diff mount, aluminum servo horns, hard servo saver, hardened shock caps, zero degree steering blocks, 14 degree caster, aluminum wingmount post. If you go to either the serpent app or to the promo page for the the 2.2, in the downloads area there is a sheet that has the changes made from the 2.1 to 2.2.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks Chad Millikan. Some of those are on my list already. I'll definitely ad the aluminum wingmount post (mine's broken right now from past weekend), along with aluminum center diff mount. However I think first on my list is shock caps and caster blocks.
Old 07-20-2017, 04:04 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks Chad Millikan. Some of those are on my list already. I'll definitely ad the aluminum wingmount post (mine's broken right now from past weekend), along with aluminum center diff mount. However I think first on my list is shock caps and caster blocks.
the drive shaft is 98mm
Old 07-21-2017, 07:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hmm, mine are both over 100. I think 102 front and 109 rear. Perhaps that changes with ver3 center driveshaft couplers?
Old 07-21-2017, 12:51 PM
Tech Regular

Hmm, mine are both over 100. I think 102 front and 109 rear. Perhaps that changes with ver3 center driveshaft couplers?
You're right the center rear drive shaft is 109mm, the center front in 102mm, both front and rear drive shafts are 98mm
Old 08-27-2017, 11:27 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

first time running the buggy . I always wanted the 811 but was to cheap to buy a new one. ran at lutz rc race in medina ohio . and wow I must say a different animal than than my rc8b3 nitro . but I just love the buggy jump better and was smooth. it did lack steering fome the b3 but im sure in time I can adjust to my diving . any tips for buggy im all ears
Old 08-27-2017, 04:29 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by barryjcm
first time running the buggy . I always wanted the 811 but was to cheap to buy a new one. ran at lutz rc race in medina ohio . and wow I must say a different animal than than my rc8b3 nitro . but I just love the buggy jump better and was smooth. it did lack steering fome the b3 but im sure in time I can adjust to my diving . any tips for buggy im all ears
Hi barryjcm and welcome to the "Classic" Serpent 811 Cobra Buggy owners club. These buggies are, in my opinion, unique and tough as. Sure they have their quirks, but so do all the other buggies on the market.
Once you get close and personal with your Serpent 811 Cobra Buggy, you will get know how to get the best from it's capabilities, and it has a great many features too.
To enhance the steering for your style of driving, this modification may be the way for you to go:-

Serpent Model Racing Cars - Product - Ackermann set Cobra S811 - Downloads

Old 08-27-2017, 06:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

+1 on the ackerman update. It makes a huge difference to the steering characteristics of the 811 car. Welcome to the club. I race the SRX8 now but still have my 811 2.2 which I use for breaking in engines and still enjoy driving it. The car is a tank.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:32 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Palebushman
Hi barryjcm and welcome to the "Classic" Serpent 811 Cobra Buggy owners club. These buggies are, in my opinion, unique and tough as. Sure they have their quirks, but so do all the other buggies on the market.
Once you get close and personal with your Serpent 811 Cobra Buggy, you will get know how to get the best from it's capabilities, and it has a great many features too.
To enhance the steering for your style of driving, this modification may be the way for you to go:-

Serpent Model Racing Cars - Product - Ackermann set Cobra S811 - Downloads

thanks for reply I was thinking that could be my next option

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.