Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Buggy in my dishwasher.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 12:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

I prefer the washing machine on delicate cycle and the dryer on cotton setting... works great every time!!
Old 05-21-2012, 12:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

If the diffs get wet, is that ok, or is removing them before hitting the car with simple green/water a better idea?
Old 05-21-2012, 03:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
Just drag it into the shower and hose it down with Simple Green. The dishwasher is overkill and the pressure jets of the dishwasher will blast the grease off your bearings and push dirt into them.

Not to mention that you don't want automotive lubricants building up in your dishwasher. If you use your dishwasher to clean guns and RC's, never use it for dishware ever again.

Scrubbrush and Simple Green, then rinse off with slow moving COLD water, not a pressure hose. Dry it off with a hairdryer, WD40, and a squirt of TAG body spray.

Don't let your Wife catch you naked in the shower with your RC car..........that won't go over too well, and we all look crazy enough as is.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 06-03-2012, 07:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Scrubbrush and Simple Green, then rinse off with slow moving COLD water, not a pressure hose. Dry it off with a hairdryer, WD40, and a squirt of TAG body spray.
I use to hit my car with slow running water then compressored dried. Stopped because every time I would get that one person with a comment about how bad water was. Of course it's air dried and hit with wd40. I stopped to avoid the looks and comments. Now it's just simple green and air. Doesn't get that clean new look anymore so I wanted to go back to simple green, brush, water, compressor and wd or pledge. My question is if water was really bad?
Also does the hair dryer cause rust? Always wanted to try it on the data I bring home a dirty car. Thanks
Old 06-03-2012, 09:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

TAG body spray?
Old 06-03-2012, 09:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

I have seen everything now... LOL
Old 06-03-2012, 09:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I prefer AXE body spray myself. Kilo scented if your local Walgreen has it available. It gives it a nice Jersey Shore finish. I also fist pump from the drivers stand, but in reality I'm just trying to get the turn marshals attention.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:59 AM
Tech Champion

When you build your car, coat the outside of all your bearings with Napa Brake Pin lube. It's in a bottle and is fairly expensive ($17). It's a very, very sticky grease.

It'll make a sticky seal that'll prevent water and dirt from entering your bearings. Yes it'll collect dirt. But if you tear down your car every 3 race days or more, like you're supposed to, it'll be a non-issue. It is also great to coat your rubber/paper diff gaskets.

I also use brake pin lube on my wheel CVD's. I'll clean a wheel CVD whenever I'm bored in the pits. Have you ever had those rubber boots slide off your CVD's? Brake pin lube is sticky, they won't slide off if you use it on your CVD'd instead of syth grease.

I haven't tried it yet. But I think BPL can be used as dielectric grease as well. I'll let someone else guinea pig that.

I just blow off my car at the track with an air compressor, spray my car down with simple green, brush a little, pour water on it, then spray and wipe with Lemon scented furniture polish. It'll take overnight for the Lemon Pledge to evaporate completely.

I don't have any corrosion problems. Sometimes my screws will have a slight patina, but nothing that hurts the cars performance.

Yesterday I didn't even pull my electronics, or even my battery. The inside of my car was clean, just dusty. I left the body on my Xray 808E and just simple greened the front and rear clip and then held it under the faucet of my kitchen sink. I was very careful to not hit the electronics.

I tossed it out side in the sun to dry, then soaked it with lemon pledge.

Then I washed my tires off, then sprayed them with simple green and TAG. Don't rinse the SG&T off! Let it dry on it's own. Then back in the AKA bag they go.

Keep in mind that even though Lemon Pledge smells friendly, it won't help wash TAG body spray out of your eyes.

If the tracks dry, I don't really need to get in and scrub the car down. Maybe once every 3-4 races.

I don't know why people fear water so much. Simple rinsing won't really hurt anything. Consistant racing is the key. If your car gets run often, and as such, is well lubed, it'll handle rinsing fine. The folks that have the worst rust and bearing problems are bashers. I race, and only bash airplanes.

Driving in the rain will kill everything in your car though.

Last edited by Zerodefect; 06-03-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JoePit
+1... I pull motor and radio tray after every outing. Simple green then hose off. 2 applications if necessary. Blow car off real good (that didn't sound right at all) and it's clean as a whip.
It's ok, your car appreciates an happy ending once in a while
Old 06-03-2012, 05:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (88%+)

I prefer AXE body spray myself. Kilo scented if your local Walgreen has it available. It gives it a nice Jersey Shore finish. I also fist pump from the drivers stand, but in reality I'm just trying to get the turn marshals attention.

ugh gross, Kilo is nasty, i'll stick with Old Spice Swagger for myself and Prep and Shine's nice cherry smell for the cars
Old 06-03-2012, 06:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

What's wrong with a toothbrush for the dust and dirt, brake cleaner for the greasy or fuel gunked nastiness, and Maxima SC1 or that Kal-Gard stuff and a rag to make it look good?
Old 06-03-2012, 06:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

WOW!
So let's get this right!
A shower
Toothbrush
Soap
Water
Tag body spray

What's missing?

Breath mints
Condoms

??????????
Old 06-03-2012, 06:54 PM
Tech Regular

Remove the electronics and engine, spray the car with simple green, let it soak for a minute, hit it with the water hose (or power washer if it's really dirty), blow it off with the air compressor focusing on the bearings, spray everything but the brake discs with WD40 and then it it with the air compressor again. Done! Lubes everything up and helps prevent dirt from sticking next time your at the track.

Some guys put a little dry lube on the universals to lubricate them because they do not attract dirt so the lube doesn't turn into a glob of wet sand paper in your rotating parts. Up to you though. I haven't tried this yet but some of the pro's at my track do it. It's good for at least 2 secs off your lap time. =P
Old 06-03-2012, 09:27 PM
Tech Elite

Disassemble car and clean it and lube everything. Then you know it's done right.

Do it right or not at all.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I spray my car with simple green, hose them and BLOW them too

Actually this is the first time I read people using the dishwasher to clean their car. Hope you use a different dishwasher than your normal daily use man.

+1... I pull motor and radio tray after every outing. Simple green then hose off. 2 applications if necessary. Blow car off real good (that didn't sound right at all) and it's clean as a whip.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.