Wiki Posts
Search

Monsoon XTR 1/8 Scale Nitro Truggy

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 10:49 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Monsoon XTR 1/8 Scale Nitro Truggy

Here we go. Lets discuss this vehicle. According to redcat this would be one of their racing models. I know there is alot of haters out there to the redcat line and I am sure for very reasonable reasons. All that to the side lets discuss this and just consider this to be a beginner platform on which a newer person to the hobby would purchase in order to get themselves into the racing scene. Anyone out there think it can be a viable platform with some hop ups? part capability? anything you might could swap out? Just a general discussion of the vehicle. Rc universe did a review of its older model and here is a link to it. http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=939
Old 02-21-2012, 11:50 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Wallee
Here we go. Lets discuss this vehicle. According to redcat this would be one of their racing models. I know there is alot of haters out there to the redcat line and I am sure for very reasonable reasons. All that to the side lets discuss this and just consider this to be a beginner platform on which a newer person to the hobby would purchase in order to get themselves into the racing scene. Anyone out there think it can be a viable platform with some hop ups? part capability? anything you might could swap out? Just a general discussion of the vehicle. Rc universe did a review of its older model and here is a link to it. http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=939
.28 engine with pull start
1/2 offset rims with 40 series tires

I doubt that there are any hop ups that would make this a near racer. Change the engine and tires and it might be something for the new club racer. Better to buy an OFNA buggy for a starter vehicle.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:56 AM
Tech Regular

I am not new or looking for a beginner anything. Just wanted to discuss this one in particular. be that as it may you have pointed out something I did not notice in the review. 40 series tires on a truggy? and of course if one was to race the vehicle they would def need to upgrade to a better engine.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:25 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Have a look when the article was published, Oct 2007.... That could explain the 1/2 offset wheels, and 40 series tyres
Old 02-21-2012, 12:48 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by moxford
Have a look when the article was published, Oct 2007.... That could explain the 1/2 offset wheels, and 40 series tyres

Here is the link to the current model, http://www.redcatracing.com/RC-Cars/...es/Monsoon-XTR now go look at this one, the one to be discussing.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Dang chrizom wheelz... Im sold!
Old 02-21-2012, 01:31 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by KThatcher
Dang chrizom wheelz... Im sold!

Ha ha yeah that was the older model, I seen that and was thinking the same thing..... Really chrome on a "racing" truggy as a selling point.. ha ha. But yeah the newer ones are black.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Here is the link to the current model, http://www.redcatracing.com/RC-Cars/...es/Monsoon-XTR now go look at this one, the one to be discussing.
You can put there diffs spiders from GS Racing XUT.
Also when you have diffs with streight teeth, I suggest to use Kyosho pinion gear IF21 13T .Those two things makes diffs bulletproof
Also this car need normal air filter with two foams. This shit plastic cover will decreased air flow very fast
Arms are indestructible.
When you broke the pivotball screw I suggest to replace to some pivot's from better car. They are typical 14mm ball
Chassis and shock towers are made from cheap aluminum, so it's not very hard to bent
Same (almost) car are: TEAM VTX ST1, River Hobby VRX-1 and Himoto RXT-1.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:55 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by vic_firth
You can put there diffs spiders from GS Racing XUT.
Also when you have diffs with streight teeth, I suggest to use Kyosho pinion gear IF21 13T .Those two things makes diffs bulletproof
Also this car need normal air filter with two foams. This shit plastic cover will decreased air flow very fast
Arms are indestructible.
When you broke the pivotball screw I suggest to replace to some pivot's from better car. They are typical 14mm ball
Chassis and shock towers are made from cheap aluminum, so it's not very hard to bent
Same (almost) car are: TEAM VTX ST1, River Hobby VRX-1 and Himoto RXT-1.

I take it you have owned one?
Old 02-21-2012, 09:10 PM
Tech Elite

Oh no, not again a thread about the Redcrap cars. Please spend some more money to buy a descent buggy.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

I take it you have owned one?
yes, nobody's perfect
Originally Posted by MrUnlimited
Please spend some more money to buy a descent buggy.
True. If you want cheap RTR, buy GS XUT

or, buy second hand PRO roller