Wiki Posts
Search

Building my Kyosho EVO...couple Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 02:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Building my Kyosho EVO...couple Questions

Well, I just received my Kyosho St-rr EVO and forgot to purchase a couple of things...I noticed the link for the Cody King set-up sheet does not work. I just started building my EVO and forgot to order diff fluids so tell me...is the (7000 front, 10,000 middle...3000 rear) the best combo to go with? Also with the stock springs...what is a decent shock fluid combo to go with?

Again, the setup sheet had all of my questions answered the page says it is no longer available...I do not remember what his diff and shock setups were though...

Also...I noticed the pictures with the forward mount battery. I have that same setup in my MP9 and love it so I am assuming I should try the same thing on the EVO correct?
Thanks in advance.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:44 PM
Tech Regular

Okay...I did some searching on the Internet and this is what I found for Cody King's EVO setup...please tell me if I should try something else:

Shocks with dark blue springs:
Front: #45 weight.
Rear: #55 weight.

Diff fluid Setup:
Front: 10k
Center: 10k
Rear: 3k

So if this is a decent setup to try over the recommendations that the Instructions that come with EVO say...would the mentioned setups be a decent setup?

Also...again the forward mount battery...are many people doing this?
Thanks again.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:05 PM
Tech Elite

when i ran the strr i ran cody sliver state set up and the truck was dialed every where we went other then 7k in the front diff insted of 10
Old 02-13-2012, 03:12 PM
Tech Addict

I run 10-10-3 or even 2 in the rear sometimes.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:15 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks...I will go ahead and order both 10k and 7k. I thinkg I will be trying out the 10k in both the front and center first. As far as the rest of the setups looks like the Cody King setup sheet is a killer combo.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:01 AM
Tech Regular

I'm building my EVO while using the Cody King setup sheet as a basis. I noticed he is using the number 3 rear anti squat suspension pivot set. Now the rear anti squat plate that comes with the kit is the 2 degree one. Would I have to order the blue 3 degree rear anti squat plate if I was to use the 3 degree pivot set?

I just started assembling this kit and haven't put all of the rear end together yet but I am pretty sure I have seen pictures of people's EVO's with the 2 degree plate paired with the 3 degree pivot set for the rear.

Also...any major differences going from 2 degrees to 3 degrees for the rear?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:10 AM
Tech Regular

...Also, here are some pics to prove that the 2 degree front end plate for the rear diff seems to work with the 3 degree pivot set...both pictures are from the same car I found them on the st-rr forum...looks to me that this combo may indeed work without me having to wait and order another plate (which I will probably do eventually anyway):

Old 02-14-2012, 08:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Less anti squat will take away traction on power, but also improve your on power steering, and make it better through rough sections. Without getting into the physics, anti squat essentially makes your rear end stiffer - more anti squat, more stiffness in the rear suspension.

Be sure to run the correct caster blocks in the front, the kit I believe comes with 22 deg blocks, but we run 20 deg blocks (IF304B). A steeper caster angle will give you better turn in, but take away some on power steering. 10/10/3 for the diffs is dialed, and as for shock oils, 45/55 or even 50/60 will get you hooked up.

Tebo's setup is attached, that's what we run and it hasn't changed since 2010 which tells you how HAM the Evo is.
Attached Files
Old 02-14-2012, 08:18 AM
Tech Regular

Okay those pics are weird because I just tried assembling mine with what looks to be the same combo and I have to really bend the shafts to fit them in...looks like I'm ordering the 3 degree anti squat plate.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:28 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by AZRC4Me
Less anti squat will take away traction on power, but also improve your on power steering, and make it better through rough sections. Without getting into the physics, anti squat essentially makes your rear end stiffer - more anti squat, more stiffness in the rear suspension.

Be sure to run the correct caster blocks in the front, the kit I believe comes with 22 deg blocks, but we run 20 deg blocks (IF304B). A steeper caster angle will give you better turn in, but take away some on power steering. 10/10/3 for the diffs is dialed, and as for shock oils, 45/55 or even 50/60 will get you hooked up.

Tebo's setup is attached, that's what we run and it hasn't changed since 2010 which tells you how HAM the Evo is.
Thanks...I will make sure to order those 20 degree caster blocks if you say they work as well as they do. I'm also ordering some thicker Shock oils especially for the rear because I could not find 55 weight from team losi so I settled for 50 instead ( I believe Team Losi Oils are thicker than others anyway I may be okay)...but tell me when you say the 22 blocks take away from power steering...what does that mean? When I throttle up around a turn the car won't dig in and catch grip as well? I'm still pretty new to tuning but am loving every minute of learning. Thanks again.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:10 AM
Tech Regular

Well...looks like I am out of luck finding a IFW303 anti-squat plate they are discontinued. Anyone know where I can find one? Gshobby has them listed but after calling them they are out of stock. Thanks again.

Edit: Found a couple on EBay...far far away from the U.S. but the prices were decent. Cool stuff.

Last edited by ShadowX; 02-14-2012 at 09:26 AM.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:21 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

We got ours from A Main Hobbies

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...3-degree-Black
Old 02-15-2012, 07:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ShadowX
Thanks...I will make sure to order those 20 degree caster blocks if you say they work as well as they do. I'm also ordering some thicker Shock oils especially for the rear because I could not find 55 weight from team losi so I settled for 50 instead ( I believe Team Losi Oils are thicker than others anyway I may be okay)...but tell me when you say the 22 blocks take away from power steering...what does that mean? When I throttle up around a turn the car won't dig in and catch grip as well? I'm still pretty new to tuning but am loving every minute of learning. Thanks again.
This link should help you out:

http://www.twf8.ws/new/tech/tip/setup/caster.html

A steeper caster angle, i.e. 20 caster blocks instead of 22 (the front hubs are more vertical w/ 20 blocks), will take away some on power steering, but give you better off power steering. Losi doesn't make a 55 weight oil, you have to mix 50 and 60 to get 55. The ratio is approx. 2/3 60 weight, 1/3 50 weight to get 55. I just run 60 and it's not stiff by any means.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:17 AM
Tech Regular

I will be rebuilding my Diffs after my first full day of breaking in and riding my truggy...but was wondering if it will hurt my middle diff if I over filled it. I am noticing that some fluid...just a small amount...leaks out of the screw holes when sitting up over night. Like I said I will be rebuilding it anyway is it cool to run it anyway? I'm feeling too lazy to take it all apart right now,lol.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:30 PM
Tech Regular

I have my st-rr EVO almost finished up just have a couple of questions before I proceed on completing the kit.
First off I have been using Futaba "S9351" Digital servos on my MP9 for both the steering and throttle and so far I love them with no issues.
I do have a couple of extra S9351 servos...would these be a good choice to put in the EVO and if not any recommendations? I am using a Futaba 3PKS with a R603FS receiver.
Also...is this the kit I should upgrade to? I mainly do not like how thin the stock turnbuckles look on the kit... http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...rnbuckle-Kit-7

Thanks in advance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.