Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to nitro racing. Recommend please.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 08:47 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default New to nitro racing. Recommend please.

Hi I am new to nitro, have had electric short course. I want to race nitro 1/8 buggies and want to get in without making mistakes in first purchase. What is recommended by guys that race? I was looking at losi 8 2.0 rtr purely for the price with what it comes with. Is this a good strong buggy? The other one was the Xray 808 but this is only kit so would cost me a lot more to have it running. If I need to spen the extra dollars then I am happy to look at kits but if I don't need to then I want to avoid it. Any other recommendations? Is the xray and a novarossi motor worth it or is the losi what I should buy?
Any info appreciated.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 37 (97%+)

The 8ight 2.0 RTR is probably the best RTR and best bang for your buck on the market right now and right out of the box it will be competitive. And it comes with everything you need except fuel. Its a really good first car in my opinion.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:06 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks. It is what I am thinking but being a rtr I am just a bit worried that I am getting a cheaper version. I can get a X-ray for $400 - $450 which is a good price here in Australia. But this will cost me a lot more after buying everything else needed.
Is the quality there with the losi or is the X-ray a lot better?
Old 02-05-2012, 09:19 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

IMHO the Xray is a much better buggy, it is widely regarded as the strongest out there. However plenty of people don't break their Losi .... or Associated ..... or Mugen..... etc

If you want a RTR the Losi is by far the best.

But if you want to race, building a kit is much better as you will know the buggy inside out and will find maintenance much easier.

Certainly nothing wrong with a Nova motor mate, you could do a lot worse
Old 02-05-2012, 09:26 PM
Tech Addict

Grrr such a hard decision!! I am also worried that I am going to spend more than I need and find out that nitro is hard to get my head around. I guess it comes down to price but I hate buying then needing to upgrade quickly. The whole point of this is to have a race buggy with no bashing. If I do this it is to get into racing and learning what I can from a club environment. So hard to decide!!
Old 02-05-2012, 09:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 128 (99%+)

This really isn't apples and apples comparison. The Losi Kit and the xray would be more apples and apples. If you don't need a radio then you can watch what you are doing on piecing the kit together it won't be too much more expensive than the RTR and you'll have a better setup.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:52 PM
Tech Addict

Ok so for comparison, what is the difference between the losi buggy kits and the rtr buggy? Also how much better is the xray compared to losi?
Old 02-05-2012, 10:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Like I said to you today, there's alot of Xray 808's at LRRCC, so plenty of advice if you go the Xray way but as you said definately more cost going the kit over the rtr.
I was actually looking at the Losi rtr before I decided to go the Xray and cant be happier with my choice.

Decisions decisions buddy, good luck on your choice mate.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:35 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks mate. Xray is what I want if I do this but just can't afford the cost if I do it now. I think I need to decide if I want to get involved right now or wait as that will decide what I will buy.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by charlesandstuff
The 8ight 2.0 RTR is probably the best RTR and best bang for your buck on the market right now and right out of the box it will be competitive. And it comes with everything you need except fuel. Its a really good first car in my opinion.
You will also need a two 7.2V stick packs for the starter box, a charger to charge the sticks packs and the receiver pack, glow ignitor, fuel bottle, and most likely upgrade the throttle servo as these blow out on the Losi RTR real quick.

The Losi 8 2.0 RTR is the best value (new) and quickest way to get into 1/8th nitro off-road racing. It's a proper race RTR kit, not some Mickey mouse pull start special. The kit also comes with some basic tools as well.

If you're a good steerer and can tune an engine you can certainly win at club level with the Losi RTR. You don't need to spend big $ if you don't want too.

Remember a fast guy can be fast with anything, but a hack will always be a hack even with the latest Xray.

Best thing I would recommend before you buy anything is head down to Liverpool during a race meet and spend some time getting a feel of what's involved to go racing. If after that you still want to pursue it then you can begin to make your purchasing decision.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:20 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks John. I was actually down there Sunday. And yes the bug bit after that day. I have had a basher nitro but always had trouble after having nothing but second hand bits and pieces. Trying to get old stuff running properly. I am not sure whether new kit will solve this but being in a club environment with a decent kit will definitely help me to learn instead of making mistakes with no assistance. I can steer half decently after spending time on electric short course tracks. I know the nitro is a big step up and I have always wanted to learn but have had nobody to help. Liverpool has a lot of xray which I know is a good kit but right now is out of price range. Should I wait or jump in now? Not quite sure yet.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:21 PM
Tech Addict

The other thing is I could probably subsidize some cost with selling all my old gear. Which is another reason to maybe go losi. Upgrade all my equipment at once.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:01 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by galaga
The other thing is I could probably subsidize some cost with selling all my old gear. Which is another reason to maybe go losi. Upgrade all my equipment at once.
Well if you have bitten the bug don't wait, just get a kit or package you can afford. It's all about having fun so why not start now. As for, would it make a difference having all new gear? Absolutely, especially if you look after it. At least you know your gears history and what abuse its had.

The Losi RTR is good especially for someone new, nothing to be ashamed of with that RTR kit. But there are a few other options in between. The Sworkz also is becoming a very popular buggy there with excellent support from RC King Hobbies (Michael) who is the Australian distributor for Sworkz and Alpha engines I believe. He also races there regularly and has parts on hand if you ever need anything. So you can't go wrong if you go down that path. The Sworkz and parts is also considerably more affordable than the Xray.

Not trying to talk you out of any particular brand, just giving you some options to explore. It can be very daunting especially spending so much money on a hobby.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:36 AM
Tech Addict

Wouldn't hurt to have a chat with rc king regardless of my decision. Just to try and make my mind up. Not sure sworkz is what I am after although looked good on Sunday.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:29 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Good idea getting around the club and saying hi - there is always somebody selling stuff so you can pick up some quality gear secondhand.
I reckon get a Xray kit, and whilst you are building it save up some more quids and get a secondhand radio (DX3's grow on trees and you can get something with Rx for say $200 easily)
Secondhand Swallow chargers are always around for about $50

New buggy, new motor (say a Werks B2 from USA for $180 posted), new cheap servos (HS645MG - $40 ea) and then eveything else can be secondhand. You could do it for $800 - $1K easily and have good stuff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.